Something about John Wilkes Booth you may not know...
08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Something about John Wilkes Booth you may not know...
According to author Gordon Samples-who wrote Lust for Fame: The Stage Career of John Wilkes Booth, JWB "was probably the first to initiate the "intimate theater" or theater-in-the-round as we know it today. His recitations in the private rooms of the National Hotel were popular social functions, where the fashionable eagerly sought an invitation to see "his almost glittering face and trim powerful figure, in classical or melodramatic characters...He was the poetical character of that crowded house." The part about JWB probably being the first to do the "intimate theater" is amazing. How many artists over the years have performed that way? For example, Elvis Presley did that very thing for the taping of his television special in 1968. His stage was set up like a boxing ring right down with the audience-very "intimate." Countless other performers have done similarly. I will now think of JWB whenever I see an artist perform in that format. It probably started with him-and that I didn't know. Smile Did you all?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2012, 05:35 AM
RE: Something about John Wilkes Booth you may not know...
That's a great piece of information. JWB has been portrayed clearly as not as talented as his brother, Edwin. Both had advantages and dis-advantages over one another.

ADAVANTAGES: Edwin, working as his father's dresser, was able to watch and learn from the greatest actor of the day. One can almost picture Junius discussing certain techniques as he would perpare for his performances. Edwin got the theatre education of a lifetime. Mary Ann Booth gave JWB his father's wardrobe and grease paints. JWB also had "the looks". As Harry Ford stated, "He was the handsomest man in America". No one has ever beenable to capture the persona of JWB in any portrayal of him.

DIS-ADVANTAGES: Edwin inherited his father's adiction issues and moodiness. He certainly suffered from depression. JWB was probably very ADHD. JWB good looks and reputation as a Booth may have also been a dis-advantage. He had to live up to the ghost of his father, and the ever present shadow of his brother.

The question is, if the charts were different, would we remember JWB as the greatest actor of the 1800s? I think what Bill has pointed out shows JWB's insight and innovation. Thanks Bill.
Find all posts by this user
08-31-2012, 11:59 AM
John Ford said had he lived, Booth would have been the greatest actor of his time. I've heard of his impromptu recitals. I think he usually did them between acting engagements - when he was broke. I think one of his favorite poems was "Beautiful Snow" (?). He said he could bring in several hundred dollars at one reading. Not bad.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
08-31-2012, 12:45 PM
I agree with Mr. Ford and Joe. I think some authors have tended to play down and disparage the acting ability of JWB. Edwin had the refined, dramatic skill of the old theatre; but Wilkes had the derring-do and physicality that made an audience sit up and pay attention. He also probably had a wider range of personnas that he could offer the public.
08-31-2012, 12:50 PM
(08-31-2012 12:45 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I agree with Mr. Ford and Joe. I think some authors have tended to play down and disparage the acting ability of JWB. Edwin had the refined, dramatic skill of the old theatre; but Wilkes had the derring-do and physicality that made an audience sit up and pay attention. He also probably had a wider range of personnas that he could offer the public.

I've heard it said that Edwin was an "Intellectual" player while JWB was an "action" player....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-31-2012, 01:43 PM
And with all that being said about JWB-one has an increased understanding of what he willingly gave up when he decided to kill Lincoln. He probably could have continued to live the life of a king (if you know what I mean). In the end he lost his life-but he also lost the life he was living and what promise that life presented.

Bill Nash
08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
You're quite right, Bill. And, I think the same could be said of many of the young men of the Civil War era who gave up their potentials and their lives. We view Booth as an assassin; but IMO, he viewed himself as a patriot trying to protect what he saw as the original principles of our Founding Fathers.
08-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Laurie: Absolutely-well said.

Bill Nash
08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
dido!!!
08-31-2012, 04:38 PM
(08-31-2012 04:25 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  dido!!!

Laurie - Fido says "ditto!!!"

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Both I and Lew Powell say "Ditto!" Big Grin

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Which brings to mind something I believe very much: Booth was not insane or the Devil incarnate. So much of the early literature portrayed him that way. He was, instead, a man who had strong beliefs who acted on them. To JWB-his actions made sense. We may disagree with what he did but we don't need to demonize him. Do you agree?

Bill Nash
08-31-2012, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 09:10 PM by BettyO.)
(08-31-2012 11:59 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  John Ford said had he lived, Booth would have been the greatest actor of his time. I've heard of his impromptu recitals. I think he usually did them between acting engagements - when he was broke. I think one of his favorite poems was "Beautiful Snow" (?). He said he could bring in several hundred dollars at one reading. Not bad.

It was said that he could recite The Beautiful Snow, a poem by John Whitaker Watson with great feeling. The poem is about a fallen woman, and Booth could recite this maudlin piece with such power and depth of feeling that both his audience and himself were in tears at the end.

08-31-2012, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 10:00 PM by BettyO.)
Here is the Poem,The Beautiful Snow by John Whitaker Watson -

[Image: 80692221.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[/i]

08-31-2012, 10:01 PM
(08-31-2012 08:38 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Which brings to mind something I believe very much: Booth was not insane or the Devil incarnate. So much of the early literature portrayed him that way. He was, instead, a man who had strong beliefs who acted on them. To JWB-his actions made sense. We may disagree with what he did but we don't need to demonize him. Do you agree?

I'm sorry, but I don't. Booth was a coward who snuck up behind a defenseless man and shot him in the back of the head. While I completely disagree with everything the South fought for, they at least faced their enemies face front. Booth deserves demonization, in my opinion.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg