What if Lewis Powell's gun had fired?
08-30-2012, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 07:26 AM by RJNorton.)
What if Lewis Powell's gun had fired?
I have posted a few "what if" questions in the past, and I have another one for today. In Betty's outstanding book, she writes, "He (Lewis Powell) leveled the weapon at the astonished assistant secretary's head and pulled the trigger." Well, we all know the gun did not fire, and Frederick Seward was not shot in the head. My question is, "How would things have played out IF the gun HAD fired properly?" Would Powell have then gone into William Seward's bedroom, shot him in his bed, and then skedaddled out of the house? Would others have been shot, too? Also, if the gun had worked, would it have effected what happened over the next few days? Would Powell still have eventually gone to Mary's boardinghouse? Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2012, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 07:36 AM by BettyO.)
RE: What if Lewis Powell's gun had fired?
I think that we can all be extremely glad that Powell's gun misfired.

Had it worked properly (or Powell had not panicked and simply tuned the cylinder), he would have killed Fred, probably killed Seward more than likely (and perhaps Robinson and maybe even struck Fanny if shots had gone wild). It was a true blessing that he did not. Even Powell, extremely contrite, was horrified at what he had done and was grateful that he did not kill anyone directly (he probably heard that Mrs.Seward had died with heart trouble as possible result of his actions and was saddened by that.)

Let's say that this scenario did go off as planned and Powell had killed both Fred and Seward and also managed to wound Robinson. He escaped.. By not using his knife, he would not have been as blood splattered; although he lacked a hat. He would have probably ridden into the night, gone to Mrs. Surratt's, procured a hat and made it off on a train to Baltimore.

We don't know. Would Mrs. Surratt have taken Powell in that night?
All we know is that if Powell had not been blood splattered and given the time allowed, I think that she would have taken the boy in, let him have perhaps one of John's hats and he could have gone on his way. It would have most certainly have changed how Powell was thought of. He would have been considered on an equal par with Booth -- as if he's not now. There would have been TWO assassins that night - not just the one....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-30-2012, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 09:57 AM by Gene C.)
Taking Roger's question a few years further into the future if Powell had killed Seward?, and what impact would it have today?
Seward was the main influence in the US purchasing Alaska from Russia. We would have a different energy policy today, the cold war of the 50's & 60's with Russia would be much different if they still owned Alaska, and even WWII would have been different since the Japanese tried to get control of the Aleutian Islands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign

There is even a large Christian Broadcasting short wave radio station that broadcast to Russia and China, in their own language, located in Alaska http://www.worldchristian.org/

The simple act of a gun miss firing, and "or Powell had not panicked and simply turned the cylinder", has had a major impact in the history and outcome of the world as we currently know it. Coincidence, luck, or something more?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Interesting question, Roger, that raises even more questions. I agree with Betty that people would have died in the Seward house that night if Powell's gun had worked. Would Powell have turned and shot the servant William H. Bell as well or would have Bell been quick enough to flee down the stairs? Powell may not have even bothered with Bell. Powell may have also shot the messenger Emerick Hansell if he got in Powell's way running down the stairs.

I wonder what Gus Seward, Seward's son, would have done had he heard gunshots rather than Fanny's screams. Gus had run to Seward's room in bewilderment without his gun never imaging that there was an assassin in the house. Would he have grabbed his gun out of his carpet-bag before he left his bedroom which was on the same floor as Seward's, and shot Powell either in the bedroom or in the hall as Powell was leaving? Would Powell have shot Gus first on his way out of the house? Gus was sound asleep at the time of Powell's attack so it took him a little while to comprehend what was going on in Seward's bedroom. It's difficult to know what Gus, who was in the army, would have done had he heard gunshots but I think he would have grabbed his gun first.

From Gene-The simple act of a gun miss firing, and "or Powell had not panicked and simply turned the cylinder", has had a major impact in the history and outcome of the world as we currently know it. Coincidence, luck, or something more?

I still cannot understand how, even if the gun was damaged, that Powell was not able to kill Seward with his knife. Powell had knocked down Fred and Robinson and pushed aside Fanny. Seward was a sick, helpless man lying in bed. How did Powell not kill him? Coincidence, luck, or something more?
08-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Possibly at that juncture, Powell was more or less wanting to just get out of the house and away. He may have known he had failed and was just concerned with getting out.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-30-2012, 09:00 AM
(08-30-2012 08:53 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Possibly at that juncture, Powell was more or less wanting to just get out of the house and away. He may have known he had failed and was just concerned with getting out.

Betty, why do you think Powell tried to cut Seward's throat rather than stab him in the heart?
08-30-2012, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 09:04 AM by BettyO.)
(08-30-2012 09:00 AM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  
(08-30-2012 08:53 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Possibly at that juncture, Powell was more or less wanting to just get out of the house and away. He may have known he had failed and was just concerned with getting out.

Betty, why do you think Powell tried to cut Seward's throat rather than stab him in the heart?

That's a difficult one, Linda. Some have said that the lamps were turned down really low in the room and that Powell, coming in from the more brightly lit hallway, couldn't see clearly in the more darkened room - his eyes had not adjusted quickly enough which could have been so. I have heard though, that in young people, the eyes adjust quickly while in older folk, the eyes take longer to adjust and yes, I can verify this!

But, I personally think that Lew was horror stricken to have to resort to use his knife and panicked. He simply just began to strike wildly and randomly and then he also had Robinson and others grasping him from behind and attempting to pull him off of Seward.

08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Great "what if" Roger. Gene, you are so right. It's one of those seemingly small matters that occurred but if things had turned out a little differently might have had enormous consequences. I guess misfires were fairly common? I think about the fellow who tried to kill Andrew Jackson-both of his pistols failed to fire!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2012, 04:10 PM
(08-30-2012 08:16 AM)Gene C Wrote:  The simple act of a gun miss firing, and "or Powell had not panicked and simply turned the cylinder", has had a major impact in the history and outcome of the world as we currently know it. Coincidence, luck, or something more?

I tend to believe in the FEAR principle....For Everything A Reason. I believe that that gun misfire was Powell's last chance to back out. He ignored it and paid the price.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
09-05-2012, 05:17 PM
I have never heard the FEAR principle before, but I love it!
09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Interesting to speculate what Powell might have done after the misfire had he hooked up with David Herold and joined Booth on the road outside of Washington.

Craig
09-06-2012, 04:46 AM
(09-05-2012 10:07 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  Interesting to speculate what Powell might have done after the misfire had he hooked up with David Herold and joined Booth on the road outside of Washington.

Craig

probably ended up shot. He seemed to be a courageous boy and would most likely have stepped into the breach. Once he did the Seward thing, i think his fate was set and sealed.

09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree, Maddie.

09-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Maddie, Betty,

I totally agree. Powell was made of stronger stuff. Instead of the gunfight at the OK Corral, America's greatest gunfight might have occurred 16 years earlier as the gunfight at Garrett's barn.

Craig
09-07-2012, 05:25 PM
(09-06-2012 09:58 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  Maddie, Betty,

I totally agree. Powell was made of stronger stuff. Instead of the gunfight at the OK Corral, America's greatest gunfight might have occurred 16 years earlier as the gunfight at Garrett's barn.

Craig

Hey, it might have gone the other way, and they all rode off into the sunrise....