Previously Unpublished Photos of Laura Keene ?!?
03-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Previously Unpublished Photos of Laura Keene ?!?
Was searching for something else this morning and stumbled onto a photo of Laura Keene which I had never seen before - Laura in an 1850s/60s riding habit.

Anyone else ever seen this?

Don't know whether this was an actual habit (it appears to be such) or a costume for a particular play.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2016, 10:30 AM
RE: Previously Unpublished Photos of Laura Keene ?!?
Never seen that one. I find it interesting that for such a famous actress, there are relatively few photographs of her. She appears to be younger than in many of her photos.
03-11-2016, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 10:38 AM by BettyO.)
I think she was 40-something when she played the role of "Florence" in Our American Cousin...and it was said that she was a bit long in the tooth for that part at the time.

Here is another photo I found of her in costume. Don't know the play but it appears to be something Scottish due to the tartans which the ladies are wearing....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Great work Betty
03-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Especially using the first photo as a point of reference, Ms. Keene had very large hands with loonnggg fingers!
03-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Good observation, Laurie! Good grief - she has gorilla hands!

03-31-2016, 11:15 AM
Thanks for posting these Betty. They were both new to me. Just another example of their being "new" things (or at least things that are unfamiliar to many people) to find out there. Where did you come across that first photograph?
03-31-2016, 11:23 AM
(03-11-2016 08:46 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Especially using the first photo as a point of reference, Ms. Keene had very large hands with loonnggg fingers!

Which made her a really good piano player, I assume!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-31-2016, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2016 11:30 AM by BettyO.)
I love finding these things! One just never knows what will turn up - that is the true beauty and mystery of history!(Gosh, that rhymes....) The first CDV image is a wonderful photo of Laura in a riding habit -

Anyway, I stumbled onto it from the Green-Wood Cemetery site. Green-Wood is a beautiful historic cemetery in Brooklyn, NY. It is akin to Washington DC's Congressional and Rock Creek Cemeteries; Baltimore's Greenmount as well as Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery. If you ever have the chance to visit, please do so! Many notables (including Keene and Dr. Abram Dunn Gillette - Lew Powell's spiritual advisor in the death cell) are buried there......

Here is the URL:

http://www.green-wood.com/2015/carte-de-...-ca-1860s/

04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
(03-31-2016 11:28 AM)BettyO Wrote:  I love finding these things! One just never knows what will turn up - that is the true beauty and mystery of history!(Gosh, that rhymes....) The first CDV image is a wonderful photo of Laura in a riding habit -

Anyway, I stumbled onto it from the Green-Wood Cemetery site. Green-Wood is a beautiful historic cemetery in Brooklyn, NY. It is akin to Washington DC's Congressional and Rock Creek Cemeteries; Baltimore's Greenmount as well as Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery. If you ever have the chance to visit, please do so! Many notables (including Keene and Dr. Abram Dunn Gillette - Lew Powell's spiritual advisor in the death cell) are buried there......

Here is the URL:

http://www.green-wood.com/2015/carte-de-...-ca-1860s/

Speaking of Green-Wood, this is something to look forward to:

http://gothamist.com/2016/03/24/greenwoo...hp#photo-1
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2016, 05:14 PM
It is a wonderful photo, Betty!!! Very elegant! Thanks for sharing!