Abraham Lincoln signature found at Royal Oak Historical Society Museum
08-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Abraham Lincoln signature found at Royal Oak Historical Society Museum
I don't know if this story reached any of you. The signature was found in July 2012 in a box containing Lincoln memorabilia that had been collected by George A. Dondero-who was one of Royal Oak, Michigan's historical figures. The signature was on a two by three inch piece of paper which had been cut out of a letter written in 1864. According to the Museum Curator, the message from Lincoln said:

"Let John S. Ennis...take the oath of Dec.8, and his discharge. January 16, 1864" (signed) A. Lincoln

The President was responding to a congressman whose writing is on the other side. Lincoln was agreeing that if a confederate prisoner of war named John Ennis took a loyalty oath to the Union he could go free. Ennis was being held at Camp Douglas in Chicago.

The signature was authenticated through the efforts of the PBS show "History Detectives." They took the piece to the Lincoln Museum in Springfield where it was verified as the signature of Lincoln.

I emailed the museum curator this past week. They have made a copy of the signature for public display for now. They are raising funds to build a permanent display at the museum. I plan on going there maybe next week. I thought this story might be of interest to you all. We have many researchers on this Forum. You never know what you might find tucked away in some file or box while looking for information. Isn't it amazing and wonderful that in 2012 things are still being discovered?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2012, 08:22 AM
RE: Abraham Lincoln signature found at Royal Oak Historical Society Museum
Bill,

Dondero had some correspondence with Tarbell, who spoke in Royal Oak and stayed with him and his wife.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
08-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Rob: Wow! I would never have dreamed of that connection. Any further information about it? This is so interesting!

Bill Nash
08-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm at work now, Bill, so I'll have to wait until I get home later today to find it.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
08-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Bill, I sure agree that new discoveries are always fascinating.

Bill and Rob, if either of you find the Drake letter I will forever be in your debt. That is one letter I would absolutely love to see discovered after all these years!
08-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Correction note: I was in error when I stated the signature was discovered in July 2012. It was actually discovered in 2006. However, it wasn't authenticated until this year. Roger, your request is received! Smile

Bill Nash
08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Bill,

As promised, here is the link to the correspondence between Dondero and Tarbell. Happy reading!

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
08-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Rob. I am at work too (gotta work sometime!), but I'll be checking the link out.

Bill Nash
09-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Hello everyone. Today I toured the Royal Oak Historical Society Museum and viewed the Lincoln document with his signature. For further details, please go to: http://abesblogcabin.org/a-visit-to-the-...ety-museum

Bill Nash
09-05-2012, 05:54 AM
That's a wonderful post, Bill, and I like your shirt, too!
09-05-2012, 09:30 AM
As I sit and have my morning coffee reflecting on my visit to the museum yesterday, I am humbled by my own mortality-a subject Lincoln seemed to think about frequently. Mr. Dondero's Lincoln collection were housed in boxes in a museum. While alive, he obviously valued his "stuff" enough to keep it all together and safe. Fortunately, his collection has benefited others who have come afterward. As I look around at all my "stuff"- I wonder where it will all end up? Probably in some antique store somewhere or on a shelf in Salvation Army? Mortality!

Bill Nash
09-05-2012, 09:48 AM
I agree Bill, it's not so much the "stuff" I value, as it is the memories that go with them. I sometimes am afraid that if I get rid of the "stuff" I will forget the memories too.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Great post Bill. I looked on the Sandburg database and it looks as if Dondero wrote Sandburg a letter, but there is no response from Sandburg.

As for the collection, I completely understand. I want all my Civil War and Lincoln books to stay together and want to donate them to a library somewhere that will be able to use them for students doing research or for people who want to learn more about it. I guess I need to get on that will I keep saying I'm going to make someday.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-05-2012, 10:10 AM
I am glad others have thoughts like I do about our things-"stuff" as I mentioned. Rob: I asked the museum staff do a search internally while there- for any correspondence between Dondero, Tarbell, or Sandburg. The museum has everything cataloged on computer that it holds. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything.

Bill Nash
09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
What to do with a collection creates a concern for me as well. It has been a very difficult task. Most places do not want my collection of books and notes. Some that may be interested in having the collection have storage issues. I have found that most universities will sell the books in their used book sales. Many of my books are autographed. The thought of those being sold for a few pennies gives me an ulcer.