The Presidency of Abraham Lincoln
11-19-2015, 09:59 AM
The Presidency of Abraham Lincoln
...by Philip Shaw Paludan.

In my latest Lincoln literature addition, "100 Essential Lincoln Books" I was pleased to find Paludan's book to be included by Michael Burkhimer as it one of my favorites, too. Since I cannot remember it being mentioned on this forum, I would like to do this now.

As the title suggests, Paludan portraits Abraham Lincoln's presidency while he "eschews all attempts at finding the inner Lincoln. Instead, he emphasizes Lincoln's actions as president as well as his political thought."

Paludan examines the constitutional background to the Civil War, northern politics and society before and during the war, and how these influences shaped Lincoln.

Also, the author points at Lincoln's successful handling of economy, essential as ensuring the North was wealthy enough to win the war, and his
skills as party leader and shaper of public opinion.

I found it highly readable and second Mr. Burkhimer in considering it essential on a Lincoln bookshelf.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2015, 10:42 AM
RE: The Presidency of Abraham Lincoln
Eva, I am glad to hear you have acquired "100 Essential Lincoln Books" by Mike Burkhimer. IMO it is an excellent and highly useful resource.
11-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Amazon web site. Very affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Presidency-Abraham...ln+paludan

Thanks Eva, I'm adding it to my expanding "Christmas Wish List"

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-19-2015, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 01:27 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Great, Gene - I will be curious how you like it!
(11-19-2015 10:42 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Eva, I am glad to hear you have acquired "100 Essential Lincoln Books" by Mike Burkhimer. IMO it is an excellent and highly useful resource.
Yes, I, too, am glad I got it - an excellent and highly useful resource indeed! There's another book included which hasn't been presented on this thread yet and which I highly recommend: "Lincoln Reconsidered", by D. Donald, a collection of essays on Lincoln and CW topics, such as "Lincoln and the Radicals". Great little book IMO, I agree with Mr. Burkhimer - a quick and interesting read.