David Herold - the Truth Told
11-13-2015, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2015 09:37 AM by BettyO.)
David Herold - the Truth Told
Found an interesting article on Herold this morning - and it makes quite a bit of sense....

Herold was of course, not the dummy he was made out to be - and was remembered as being quite the hunter as well as a Copperhead!

To read the article please CLICK HERE

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2015, 11:34 AM
RE: David Herold - the Truth Told
Thanks for posting, Betty. It is an interesting article. I think what may have happened is that some authors followed the lead set by Osborn Oldroyd (1901). Oldroyd wrote about David Herold as follows:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"David was a stupid, insignificant looking young man, with slender frame, and irresolute, cowardly appearance. He had a narrow forehead, small, dark hazel eyes, thick black hair, and an incipient mustache. At one time he took up pharmacy for a livelihood, and clerked at three different drug stores, the last one for W. S. Thompson, who kept on the southwest corner of Fifteenth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. For eleven months he was employed in the drug store of Francis S. Walsh, 608 Eighth Street S. E., and during that time lived at his house. While there Mr. Walsh found nothing objectionable in his character, but in many ways he was unstable, and very little reliability could be placed in him. Although twenty-three years of age, he was more like a boy than a man. His conversation was light and trifling, and he was very easily persuaded and led. It is, then, no surprise that such a boy was only wax in the hands of a man of determined and resolute will, of pleasing and fascinating manners, such as J. Wilkes Booth."
11-13-2015, 01:55 PM
I would agree with the article Betty posted. Frankly, none of the conspirators got a fair shake from the media.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Yeah, it's always bugged me the way the media of the day portrayed the conspirators. I feel like they were going for that sensationalism, trying to make them look as bad as possible, knowing their readers would just eat it up.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
11-13-2015, 10:59 PM
"Half witted fellows were not acting as drug clerks then or now." Thank the good Lord someone finally pointed that out. It only took 150 years but better late than never Wink

Unfortunately, exaggeration in the press is still as common today as it was during the Civil War era. Extraordinary stories receive far more attention than the extra ordinary accounts of real life.
11-14-2015, 11:18 AM
(11-13-2015 10:59 PM)KateH. Wrote:  "Half witted fellows were not acting as drug clerks then or now." Thank the good Lord someone finally pointed that out. It only took 150 years but better late than never Wink

Unfortunately, exaggeration in the press is still as common today as it was during the Civil War era. Extraordinary stories receive far more attention than the extra ordinary accounts of real life.

Amen, Kate!

In the case of Herold, how many people (including us) stop to consider that portraying the young man as "half-witted" was likely a defense ploy to save him from the death penalty?

Exaggeration and speculation are always in favor when the average person/reader/researcher wants to make a point, but can't find the legitimate facts to do so.
11-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Saying Herold was a "half wit" was the only option Stone had to save him because, unlike the others on trial, he had been discovered along with Booth. You can see by reading through his monitor statement that, despite his condition, he knew how to successfully answer the interrogator's questions without incriminating himself or giving the Union new leads. Due to these factors, the tribunal didn't believe Stone's weak theory but it seems that many others have.

(11-14-2015 11:18 AM)L Verge Wrote:  
(11-13-2015 10:59 PM)KateH. Wrote:  "Half witted fellows were not acting as drug clerks then or now." Thank the good Lord someone finally pointed that out. It only took 150 years but better late than never Wink

Amen, Kate!

In the case of Herold, how many people (including us) stop to consider that portraying the young man as "half-witted" was likely a defense ploy to save him from the death penalty?

Exaggeration and speculation are always in favor when the average person/reader/researcher wants to make a point, but can't find the legitimate facts to do so.
11-14-2015, 11:54 PM
This post brings back memories for me. One of the first things that Bill Tidwell ever said to me was "Don't believe that Herold was a dim-wit, it was his defense." Since then I check what any author thinks of Davie. That "places" him.
PS. Bad News. Dave Gaddy is back in rehab, after another stroke. Martha appears "up-beat", but lets wait and see. I'll get the address, for everyone to send a card.
11-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Also, it is possible that Herold was thought to be a half-wit because of his extreme loyalty and devotion to Booth. Sometimes followers are thought to not have complete possession of their own minds are easily manipulated by a stronger personality. If I am not mistaken I believe the defense on some of the followers of Charles Manson was based on them being dim-witted or mentally challenged.