Baltimore burials...Atzerodt and others.
08-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Baltimore burials...Atzerodt and others.
Another great job by Dave Taylor. Dave's Boothiebarn.com is a great resource and Dave does a magnificent job of taking the lesser known details of the people, places and things we all love, and lays out the information in a straight forward, easy to read approach. For many years, I was one of those individuals who had always assumed that the St. Paul's Episcopal Cemetery was the final resting place. Rich Smyth had set me straight and, if GA was buried in a denominational cemetery, it would obviously be Lutheran.

So we have four of the conspirators/co-conspirators in Baltimore, We have Willie Jett's still-born son and possibly his son Crozier somewhere in Baltimore. We have the Ford's in Loudon Park. Anyone with any other interesting people?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2012, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 10:39 AM by RJNorton.)
RE: Baltimore burials...Atzerodt and others.
I would like to second Jim's comment about Dave's blog. I have already sent several students there who have written me about assassination-related research. Dave's blog is an outstanding addition to the Internet.

Yesterday, in another thread, Gene mentioned Barry's blog. I have been sending students who are researching the assassination there as well. Like Dave, Barry also has fascinating material.

Kudos to both gentlemen!
08-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your kind words about my blog. I've been a little lax in my postings due to my move and the school year beginning. School started on Wednesday and I'm pretty much back to being a brand new teacher which means long hours. I decided to escape this weekend into research since there will be little time to do so during the week. In my post about George I concluded with the idea that we can achieve more together as partners instead of adversaries. I know relationships can become strained at times but the only way we'll learn is to work and collaborate professionally. I feel fortunate to have the support and friendship of so many.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Well said Dave. Your post on George was superb.

Bill Nash
08-26-2012, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 02:10 PM by BettyO.)
Well said, Dave, indeed! I wish that things could be like they used to be in the old Boothie days when we had an actual "line of communication" always open with John C. Brennan at the helm! He kept us all in touch....

Dave's research is impeccable! Please also see his latest post on a little known personage and aspect of both Atzerodt's grave AND the Peterson house! Sign up for email alerts so you can stay "in the know!"

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-26-2012, 02:13 PM
How bout Mary Brasheare Spangler, Ed's wife who died in July, 1864. She is buried in Baltimore Cemetery just down the street from JWB.
08-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Samuel J. Seymour is buried in the same cemetery as the Fords in Baltimore.
08-26-2012, 03:33 PM
That could be your summer job Dave...Lincoln assassination cemetery tours, city specific. I can assist on weekends if you get overbooked.
08-26-2012, 07:17 PM
(08-26-2012 01:38 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Thank you gentlemen for your kind words about my blog. I've been a little lax in my postings due to my move and the school year beginning. School started on Wednesday and I'm pretty much back to being a brand new teacher which means long hours. I decided to escape this weekend into research since there will be little time to do so during the week. In my post about George I concluded with the idea that we can achieve more together as partners instead of adversaries. I know relationships can become strained at times but the only way we'll learn is to work and collaborate professionally. I feel fortunate to have the support and friendship of so many.

You must be an awesome teacher, Dave! Good luck at your new school.
09-12-2012, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 05:24 AM by RJNorton.)
Dave has just added another column on this topic!

09-12-2012, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 06:19 AM by BettyO.)
Fantastic! Dave has really done a wonderful job with this.... that's what I love about research. There is always something new, exciting and puzzling around the corner!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-12-2012, 06:53 AM
I just read Dave Taylor's BoothieBarn.com regarding the burial of George Atzerodt, which just goes to show, that just when the answer may be definitively answered, you get new information that destroys what everyone has thought....often for years. Knowing Dave, he will doggedly pursue this new avenue that leads back to Glenwood and take it further than anyone else would. Dave, if we want to devy up plat books..........
09-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Count me in as well, ya'll! I work with plats and maps and would LOVE to do this!!

09-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Currently, the church historian is doing me a favor and looking through the church files at Martini to verify and photograph the information about the Taubert child buried at St. Paul's. Once I have this, I'll add it to the blog. This evidence will essentially disprove the idea that George is buried in St. Paul's.

The next step would be to spend some quality time at Glenwood looking through plat maps for Atzerodt, misspellings of his name, or possibly known aliases like Andrew Atwood. It times like these when being a teacher really restricts my ability to do research in person.
09-12-2012, 11:25 AM
As I posted on Dave's site, I vaguely remember mention of this Taubert child's records being considered when Pep Martin first did this investigation about thirty-five years ago. I'm going to contact Pep to see what was determined at that time.