Booth's Grandchild To Wed
11-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Booth's Grandchild To Wed
Last week, I came across the following announcement that was printed in a New York newspaper called, The Sun, on March 30, 1916. This is a marriage announcement for Edwin Booth's granddaughter, Mildred Booth Grossman, and her second husband, Cleveland Livingston Waterbury.

The announcement says the following:

BOOTH'S GRANDCHILD TO WED

Miss Grossman will be bride of New Yorker

Baltimore, March 29-- Miss Mildred Booth Grossman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ignatius Grossman, granddaughter of Edwin Booth, the tragedian, is to be married here to-morrow to C. Livingston Waterbury of New York, a brother of Mrs. Gouverneur Morris. Mrs. Grossman's mother was Miss
Edwina Booth, only child of the actor, and was named for him.

After Mr. Booth's death, Mrs. Grossman and her husband went to Paris and remained there until the start of the war. They have one other child, Edwin Booth Grossman, an artist, who at the age of 22 had a painting accepted at the Paris Salon.

Attached is the original clipping:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2015, 04:25 PM
RE: Booth's Grandchild To Wed
Interesting post.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob
11-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your post Paige. I just found this. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi...=148239247

11-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks for sharing. Guess it's too late to send them Edible Arrangements!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
11-03-2015, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 01:18 AM by Carolyn Mitchell.)
(11-02-2015 04:34 PM)Anita Wrote:  Thanks for your post Paige. I just found this. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi...=148239247

I actually created the find a grave page for Mildred Booth along one for his brother Edwin Grossman, her mother Edwina and her husband Ignatius. I was fortunate to be able to visit Mildred's grave in Pasadena during the summer.

I will be taking a road trip to Cypress Lawn Cemetery located in Colma, Ca, south of south of San Francisco and look for Harriet Mace Booth, second wife of Junius Booth Jr.

Mildred Booth Grossman

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2015, 03:16 PM
(11-03-2015 12:59 AM)Carolyn Mitchell Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 04:34 PM)Anita Wrote:  Thanks for your post Paige. I just found this. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi...=148239247

I actually created the find a grave page for Mildred Booth along one for his brother Edwin Grossman, her mother Edwina and her husband Ignatius. I was fortunate to be able to visit Mildred's grave in Pasadena during the summer.

I will be taking a road trip to Cypress Lawn Cemetery located in Colma, Ca, south of south of San Francisco and look for Harriet Mace Booth, second wife of Junius Booth Jr.

Mildred Booth Grossman
Thanks for your efforts Carolyn. Lots of great information. Please post what you for find Harriet Mace Booth.
11-03-2015, 04:03 PM
I love it!

Bill Nash
11-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Wonderful, Carolyn - great job! She was a lovely lady.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-03-2015, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 05:43 PM by L Verge.)
Thank you, Carolyn, for all that you do in helping keep the Booth name alive and well. One more thing - are those really two braids of the lady's hair? Braiding takes up a lot of length, so she literally could sit on her hair it was so long! Would hate to get the tangles out of it when it was wet.
11-03-2015, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 06:26 PM by Carolyn Mitchell.)
(11-03-2015 05:23 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Thank you, Carolyn, for all that you do in helping keep the Booth name alive and well. One more thing - are those really two braids of the lady's hair? Braiding takes up a lot of length, so she literally could sit on her hair it was so long! Would hate to get the tangles out of it when it was wet.

It sure does look like it from looking at the photo.

I also visited California State University Northridge during the summer and had the opportunity to look at the Edwin Booth Family Collection. The collection was donated by Mildred's daughter Edwina Booth Waterbury (Mildred's second husband Cleveland Livingston Waterbury). It took me the entire afternoon to sift thru the boxes and saw tons of personal family photos. The collection also included a recording of Edwin Booth reading Othello. http://library.csun.edu/SCA/Peek-in-the-...EdwinBooth

On the side note, I recently discovered Edwina Booth Waterbury's half brother, James Holly Waterbury, lived in San Diego, CA and buried in Bonita, CA which is about 20 minutes away from me so I was able to visit and take photos of the plot.
11-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Odd how some of these lines go extinct so fully. Nothing left of Abraham Lincoln line. Nothing left of John Wilkes Booth or his brothers lines. But many descendants from Jefferson Davis and John Breckinridge. Of course, there are folks who do claim to be descendants from wives of John Wilkes Booth.
06-02-2016, 05:08 PM

Mildred Booth Grossman

Carolyn - Thank you for creating Find-A-Grave postings for Edwin Booth's descendants! My understanding is that the last of the direct descendants were the children of Mildred Booth Grossman (Waterbury) Tilton (a granddaughter of Edwin): Edwin Booth Waterbury and Edwina Booth Waterbury Cutting. My understanding is E. B. Waterbury died in 1974, and Edwina B. W. Cutting died in 1985, and that neither had children (at least, none that survived to adulthood), thus, 1985 was the end of Edwin Booth's bloodline. Are you (or anyone else) aware of any other direct (and possibly living) descendants of Edwin Booth? Thanks!
06-02-2016, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 11:37 PM by Carolyn Mitchell.)
(06-02-2016 05:08 PM)wpbinzel Wrote:  

Mildred Booth Grossman

Carolyn - Thank you for creating Find-A-Grave postings for Edwin Booth's descendants! My understanding is that the last of the direct descendants were the children of Mildred Booth Grossman (Waterbury) Tilton (a granddaughter of Edwin): Edwin Booth Waterbury and Edwina Booth Waterbury Cutting. My understanding is E. B. Waterbury died in 1974, and Edwina B. W. Cutting died in 1985, and that neither had children (at least, none that survived to adulthood), thus, 1985 was the end of Edwin Booth's bloodline. Are you (or anyone else) aware of any other direct (and possibly living) descendants of Edwin Booth? Thanks!

Mildred' brother, Edwin Booth Grossman. He married Helen Foos in 1908. They had one daughter named Lois Fellows Grossman. Lois married Henry White. Lois and Henry had one daughter named Lois Fellows White (still living). Lois married Herbert Rathbun III and they have a daughter named Kristin Booth Rathbun (born 1970).

Here's a photo of Lois Fellows White from The Players' Facebook page, taken in 2011.
https://www.facebook.com/ThePlayersNYC/p...=3&theater

06-03-2016, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 11:38 AM by wpbinzel.)
(06-02-2016 11:33 PM)Carolyn Mitchell Wrote:  

Mildred Booth Grossman

Mildred' brother, Edwin Booth Grossman. He married Helen Foos in 1908. They had one daughter named Lois Fellows Grossman. Lois married Henry White. Lois and Henry had one daughter named Lois Fellows White (still living). Lois married Herbert Rathbun III and they have a daughter named Kristin Booth Rathbun (born 1970).

Here's a photo of Lois Fellows White from The Players' Facebook page, taken in 2011.

"Rathbun." Now there is some near-historic irony. Thanks for the information! (And WELCOME as a new member of the Surratt Society!!!)
06-03-2016, 10:10 PM
(06-03-2016 11:07 AM)wpbinzel Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 11:33 PM)Carolyn Mitchell Wrote:  

Mildred Booth Grossman

"Rathbun." Now there is some near-historic irony. Thanks for the information! (And WELCOME as a new member of the Surratt Society!!!)

Haha! I didn't notice that until you just pointed it out about Rathbun.