Antietam
10-28-2015, 05:58 AM
Antietam
On Monday Bill Binzel and his lovely wife, Lisa, traveled to the Antietam Battlefield. Bill was kind enough to send these photos. Many thanks, Bill!

[Image: antietam500.jpg]
The Dunker Church

[Image: antietam501.jpg]
The Maryland State Monument

[Image: antietam502.jpg]
The Sunken Road ("Bloody Lane")

[Image: antietam503.jpg]
Burnside Bridge. (The Bridge is closed and is under repair as the foundation was found to be substantially damaged by time and erosion. The tree on the far side of the bridge is a "Witness Tree," a sycamore that was present at and survived the battle.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2015, 06:19 AM
RE: Antietam
Wonderful photos and colors! Thanks!
10-28-2015, 07:26 AM
To think that such carnage as had occurred there in that lovely place!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Bill, you are so right - it's hard to think that such carnage occurred in such a beautiful spot. The Dunker Church is a reconstruction, if I remember right -- but years ago, during a CW reenactment, I with several others, spent the night in that church. We stayed up late and at 2 AM were recounting ghost stories in Bloody Lane - it's an eerie place at night -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Good photo's. Judging by the shadows, you were out early. I especially like the second photo with the fall colors.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-28-2015, 11:37 AM
(10-28-2015 08:48 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Bill, you are so right - it's hard to think that such carnage occurred in such a beautiful spot. The Dunker Church is a reconstruction, if I remember right -- but years ago, during a CW reenactment, I with several others, spent the night in that church. We stayed up late and at 2 AM were recounting ghost stories in Bloody Lane - it's an eerie place at night -

You are correct, Betty. The original church survived the battle, but was destroyed by a "violent storm" in 1921. It was rebuilt using the original materials in the early 1960s.
10-28-2015, 11:43 AM
I have not been able to visit many CW battlefields, but Antietam is my favorite. They have not allowed it to become souvenir heaven. A special time to go is the first Saturday in December each year when the Boy Scouts put out luminaries to honor those killed in the battle -- over 22,000 candles glowing in the dark.
10-28-2015, 07:58 PM
The Union lost one of it's prominent officers there- General Israel B. Richardson. He died in McClellan's headquarters. Lincoln paid a visit to him there before he passed away. I have been to his grave many times as he is buried in Pontiac, Michigan.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user