Playbill
08-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Playbill
During a visit to the Smithsonian Museum of American History last month, I had the pleasure of touring the presidential section of the museum. While gazing through the various artifacts in the assassination area, I noticed an original playbill from Ford's Theatre is currently on display. At the bottom of the playbill is a note, written by George Wright, who witnessed the assassination and saved the playbill due to its historical significance.

In his note, Wright wrote the following:

"This is the program of the play of Our American Cousin, I was present on that occasion and have preserved it on account of its historical value in connection with the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln"
April 14th, 1865
Washington D.C.
George Wright

Below is a picture I took of the note written by Wright:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2015, 05:04 PM
RE: Playbill
Fascinating, Paige - Thanks for sharing this.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't you love to find one of these hiding in an old trunk?
08-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Definitely, Laurie! What a find that would be!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-30-2015, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2015 08:09 PM by Dave Taylor.)
I can verify that the playbill in question at the Smithsonian Museum of American History matches the original playbills used that night. As you know, there are many fake playbills out there that were produced in the years following the assassination as souvenirs. Ironically, one of the playbills with the best provenance (a note attesting to its authenticity from John T. Ford himself) is a later reproduction.

[Image: document-117.jpg]

Now I'm wondering if the George Wright from this note is somehow related to John B. Wright, the stage manager at Ford's Theatre.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Dave,

I called the Smithsonian Museum and asked them about George Wright and if he was related to anyone at Ford's. The man I talked with investigated George Wright and called me back this morning.

He said the playbill and note were donated to the Smithsonian in 1960 by Grace Wright, who was the daughter of George Wright who attended the play at Ford's and witnessed the assassination. As far as he knows, George Wright was not related to anyone at Ford's. The information he gave me is everything the Smithsonian is aware of regarding Wright. If we could find out more about Grace Wright, or maybe her children, we could learn more about George?
09-01-2015, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 11:52 AM by BettyO.)
Paige -

I just found a slew of info on George and Grace Wright - on Ancestry.com. If you don't have a subscription to this, I do....I will send you via email what I have found.

Here is is obituary and photo -

09-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Wouldn't it be great if Paige discovered something unique about the Wrights and the assassination that the Smithsonian doesn't know?
09-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Yes - I've given her some starters and she can follow it up -

09-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Betty-- Thank you so much for the information on the Wrights! This is wonderful.

Laurie-- Thanks for the boost of confidence. I would be absolutely thrilled to discover something new.Smile
09-01-2015, 06:41 PM
When I read Mr. Wright's obituary, I noticed how high up he was in the Masonic Lodge and Knights Templar. There has even been speculation over the years that those organizations supported plots against Lincoln. Personally, I think that theory is way out in left field close to the foul line, but it's all part of the grand conspiracy of The Illuminati to control the world forever. Good luck with that one.
09-08-2015, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 06:08 PM by PaigeBooth.)
I have been researching George Wright and his family, searching for anything of interest that might be available about this man who witnessed Lincoln's murder, and whose daughter donated the original playbill. I have found some things of interest I thought worth sharing. Last week Betty sent me some fabulous information regarding Wright, including the obituary she posted on the forum.

As stated in the obituary, George Wright moved to Washington DC in 1861. George's wife was Victoria, and his daughters: Sarah, Gertrude, Jesse, and Grace. Grace was Wright's oldest child who donated the playbill.

His obituary also states his address as 1313 R Street, Washington DC. He lived at this address until his death in 1929. Wright's home at 1313 R Street still stands today. It is an absolutely gorgeous Victorian home in beautiful condition. The home is currently for sale, with an asking price of $3,500,000.00

You can take a virtual tour of Wright's home here:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1313-R...5714_zpid/

And you can see a street view of the home here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1313+R...ae01684b13

The home stayed in the Wright family long after George Wright's death. According to a 1980 directory, Sarah J. Wright owned the home. George's daughter, Sarah J. Wright, had passed away by 1980, so I assume the Sarah J. Wright listed in the directory is a grandchild.

http://www.mocavo.com/American-Art-Direc...569647/489

Over the years, George Wright's occupation changed from engraver and plate printer, to government clerk. Regardless, Wright had enough financial comfort to purchase the stunning 1313 R Street sometime after 1900. It is tempting to imagine where in the house Wright safely tucked away the playbill he kept from Ford's Theatre the night Lincoln was assassinated............

Here is a 1900 census I found. During the time this census was taken, George was renting a home somewhere in DC:

http://www.mocavo.com/1900-United-States.../604#row-0

Here is a 1920 census I found with Wright's address listed as 1313 (George's name is at the bottom of the page):

http://www.mocavo.com/1920-United-States...4964393/74

George's family is at the top of the page:

http://www.mocavo.com/1920-United-States...3/75#row-1
09-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Very informative findings on Mr. Wright. How mindful of history he was to have made that note on the playbill.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2015, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 06:17 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Agreed - well done, Paige!
09-08-2015, 06:13 PM
I second (third?) Bill and Eva - great work, Paige!