Down Memory Lane
08-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Down Memory Lane
I've become Gene's twin in finding good music. This one will bring back memories for those of you who grew up in the 60s:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/lXlHv1-YPx...oplay=true

Even if the songs are unfamiliar to the rest of you, the showmanship is fun.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: Down Memory Lane
That video was shot at the Navy Memorial directly across Pennsylvania Ave from the National Archives. The military attracts very talented musicians. It's very tough to become a musician in the military and the pay is actually very good. I met a retired army and marine musician, a double dipper, who now volunteers his time playing taps at veteran's funerals. Veterans are dying at such a rate that the military can now only guarantee that taps will be played at their funeral, but do not guarantee that it will be a live bugler. Often it is a recording of Taps. God Bless Sgt Mark Elrod, USA & USMC retired for his service to his country and his continued service honoring his fellow former servicemen and servicewomen.
08-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Remember that, in 1865, members of the Marine Band were moonlighting in the orchestra at Ford's Theatre. As an aside, there used to be a nice Navy Museum in a building adjacent to the Navy Memorial on Pennsylvania Avenue. Jim, is it still there?
08-25-2015, 05:24 PM
(08-22-2015 12:17 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Remember that, in 1865, members of the Marine Band were moonlighting in the orchestra at Ford's Theatre. As an aside, there used to be a nice Navy Museum in a building adjacent to the Navy Memorial on Pennsylvania Avenue. Jim, is it still there?

Laurie, The Naval Heritage Center is still there. They show the Documentary "At Sea" three times a day.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
08-25-2015, 06:22 PM
My all time favorite: "The Singing Fisherman"

https://youtu.be/r_I9Y76Yb20
08-25-2015, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2015 07:06 PM by L Verge.)
(08-25-2015 05:24 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  
(08-22-2015 12:17 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Remember that, in 1865, members of the Marine Band were moonlighting in the orchestra at Ford's Theatre. As an aside, there used to be a nice Navy Museum in a building adjacent to the Navy Memorial on Pennsylvania Avenue. Jim, is it still there?

Laurie, The Naval Heritage Center is still there. They show the Documentary "At Sea" three times a day.

Thanks, Thomas, that's good to know. This military brat will always have a soft spot in her heart for those who have defended our country for centuries.

Johnny Horton did a lot to keep history alive through music. I remember North to Alaska and Sink the Bismarck also. At the rate we're going, however, this song will soon be on a hit list - and I don't mean the Top 40...
08-26-2015, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2015 05:49 AM by DanielC.)
North to Alaska and the Battle of New Orleans were two of my favorites. He also sang "Young Abe Lincoln make a tall tall man." I've attached the a link which many may already know, but is one of those erie coincidences in history.

http://fryr.tripod.com/cfhisthankandjohnny.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ro0SlVPlWE
08-26-2015, 05:57 AM
Thanks for posting these links, Dan. North to Alaska was popular when I first met my wife in high school. Great memories - love that song.
08-26-2015, 07:36 AM
(08-26-2015 05:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks for posting these links, Dan. North to Alaska was popular when I first met my wife in high school. Great memories - love that song.

Your welcome Roger. Johnny's songs never get old. As I mentioned earlier ,my boys do not share the same sense of love of history as their father, but I think by playing them over and over I am subtly reaching their young brains through osmosis!

I love this students PowerPoint for her teacher. Very cute. I wonder what grade she received.I hope it was a good one. Although at the end, in the credits, notice the spelling of Horton's last name. Oops. I'm sure there was a big red circle around his name Tongue. Something I was quite use to seeing on my papers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUu249jSprw
08-26-2015, 07:49 AM
Nice. I liked the gator picture.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Wow -

Thanks so very, very much! Loved those songs! Great! I'll download them and add to my iPod!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-09-2015, 08:43 PM
We live in a different world today. I read where ABC newspeople cannot wear patriotic label pins anymore. Those great songs mentioned in this thread would now be considered offensive by many. Celebrate Jackson's victory at New Orleans? Why, there is talk about removing his statue from there.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2016, 04:25 AM
Apparently, military bands playing in the area goes back quite a time. From a relatives memory back in the day:

----
John Philip Sousa grew up on what we called the Navy Yard. I remember well when he was the leader of the Marine Band; and the members of the Band used to walk from the Marine Barracks to the Capitol for their Wednesday evening concerts. Sousa walked with them. As he would pass the old home on Pennsylvania Avenue [JW: 323 Pennsylvania SE which was in the family from 1849 to 1934] and see my father sitting on the porch, this usual salutation took place - "Good evening, Captain" and "Good evening, Johnnie", for my father knew him from the time he was a little boy.

---

The "Captain" was married to my 4th great aunt. His name was James Coleman (b. 1832, d. 1899). In a few newspaper articles at the time, he is indicated as the first to sign up for the Union in DC. The writer was born in 1875 and her mother lived in the house until 1934. James Coleman had worked at the Navy Yard as a blacksmith but post Civil War obtained a position as a jailer in the district jail where Charles Guiteau was kept and from which Guiteau was hung. James Coleman would walk Guiteau to the scaffold standing beside him as Guiteau died.

(08-22-2015 11:18 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  That video was shot at the Navy Memorial directly across Pennsylvania Ave from the National Archives. The military attracts very talented musicians. It's very tough to become a musician in the military and the pay is actually very good. I met a retired army and marine musician, a double dipper, who now volunteers his time playing taps at veteran's funerals. Veterans are dying at such a rate that the military can now only guarantee that taps will be played at their funeral, but do not guarantee that it will be a live bugler. Often it is a recording of Taps. God Bless Sgt Mark Elrod, USA & USMC retired for his service to his country and his continued service honoring his fellow former servicemen and servicewomen.
04-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Johnny Horton also recoreded The Battle of Bull Run.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2016, 03:18 PM
(04-14-2016 03:01 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Johnny Horton also recoreded The Battle of Bull Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI7vBQRuTYg