Hallowed Ground magazine, Booth's knife, Surratt Tavern
07-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Hallowed Ground magazine, Booth's knife, Surratt Tavern
The Civil War Trust puts out a slick little magazine quarterly called Hallowed Ground. It mostly covers efforts to preserve Civil War battlefields. For the summer edition, the main focus is the Lincoln assassination with a mini-Booth escape tour. The Surratt Tavern is featured prominently with a beautiful exterior photo.

There are also exclusive photos from the recent exhibit at Ford's. There's a photo of the Rio Grande Camp Knife that is usually in storage in Maryland but was once displayed at Ford's as the knife Booth used on Rathbone. We have discussed this knife in detail here as the more likely one to have been used by Booth than the one currently on display. I was surprised to see the photo with the admission that some believe it is the correct knife. I wonder if NPS has softened its position that "the knife" is the one on display at Ford's?

I do not know if Hallowed Ground is available without being a member of the Civil War Trust. http://www.civilwar.org
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2015, 01:11 PM
RE: Hallowed Ground magazine, Booth's knife, Surratt Tavern
Wes - Carolyn Mitchell found the direct link to the article on that website that you gave. It might be under the Recommendations section. I didn't catch the reference to the knife so thanks for bringing it to attention. I guess I was blown away by those fantastic photographs!

On a similar Ford's Theatre note: At our Open House event this past weekend, a family reported to us that an NPS Ranger at Ford's told their tour group that it is now official that Booth broke his leg when his horse fell on him. That's news to the historians. At Surratt House we offer both theories with the caveat that we will likely never know which one is correct. I have contacted a friend at the Theatre to see if this is really the "official" position of NPS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply