Walk Pickett's Charge
07-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Walk Pickett's Charge
Thank you to Laurie for sending this information:

Free Expert Led-Tour in Gettysburg: Walk Pickett’s Charge!

We’re kicking off our new Civil War Trust Generations program this month with a free event at Gettysburg National Military Park! Join us on Saturday, July 25th as we retrace Pickett’s Charge as it occurred on July 3, 1863, during the Battle of Gettysburg. Our expert guides will lead this tour, share historical detail, and answer questions.

In creating the Generations program, the Trust invites you to share your love of history and the Civil War with a guest. Whether you bring along a child, parent, or grandparent it’s all about inspiring another generation to connect with the historical happenings.

Don’t miss this incredible experience — register today!

Where: Gettysburg National Military Park. Meet at the Park’s Virginia Monument.

When: 10:00 AM on Saturday, July 25th. Rain or shine, so come prepared!

http://www.civilwar.org/aboutus/events/g...ettysburg/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2015, 01:03 AM
RE: Walk Pickett's Charge
Hope to be there.
07-15-2015, 10:08 AM
(07-15-2015 01:03 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  Hope to be there.

You will be there! Nothing holds a good man down, Jim, and you have a strong cheering section behind you.
07-15-2015, 10:36 AM
That's right!
After this group gets their token "Roll Tide" cheers out of the way, I'm pretty sure the're saying "GO JIM"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edHPEFff19E

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-15-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm thinking of coming up and doing this - my great-great grandfather was there! If I do, I'll meet you there, Jim!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-17-2015, 11:52 AM
My grt grt grandfather was also in Pickett's Charge! Cpl James Lovelace White, Co. H 14th Va. Inf. He got as far as the Emmittsburg Pike, then fell down pretending to be wounded. The file closer, Sgt. Calvin Garner demanded to see blood, and at that point, White jumped up and skidaddled! Common sense or cowardice? If he hadn't of done that, I probably would not be here.

Betty if you make it up, and I can't, please drop by the house. I'm on the way.
07-19-2015, 07:28 AM
Jim,was Pickett to blame for Pickett's charge? Do you feel it was a suicide attack,or was he just following orders from higher ups?
07-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Didn't Lee assume the blame for ordering the attack, but your friend Custer's luck in stopping the Confederate cavalry's attack from the rear certainly spelled doom for Lee's plan???
07-19-2015, 07:28 PM
Good point Laurie,and thanks!
07-21-2015, 07:30 AM
Pickett's Charge was indeed doomed from the start. The armies still had not fully adjusted tactics to meet the new technologies. The charge was still a classic attack out of a Napoleonic text book, which had been indeed, been made futile with the invention of rifled barrel.

The artillery barrage unleashed by the Confederate gunners was ineffective and did not "soften" the Union line. About 25 years ago, I saw Shelby Foote give a talk and he opined that the Southern gunners failed to take into account the softer soil in Pennsylvania and the cannon's trailers dug deeper into the ground and changed the elevation. By the second volley, they were unable to see they were overshooting their target.
07-21-2015, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the information Jim!
07-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Laurie has the key to the failure of Pickett's charge. It was supposed to be a pincer attack but the Union cavalry, especially the Michigan Brigade led by Custer, drove Stuart's attack back at Rummel's Farm (east of the battlefield) and doomed the infantry move. I wrote my master's thesis on this cavalry attack, for what it is worth--not much, I reckon.

BTW, the Union Philadelphia Brigade on the front line near the Angle broke and retreated as the Reb infantry hit the Union lines. Imagine what chaos might have happened if the Union Cavalry had been driven back or was nonexistent in front of Stuart's 4 brigades that were set up to hit the Power's Hill region in the Union rear as Picket arrived at the infantry line.
07-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Wild Bill-thanks for your expert knowledge!
07-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Many thanks to Jim Garrett for sending this!!!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is my grt grt grandfather, James Lovelace White, with his grandson (my grandmother's little brother). It's difficult to make it out in full, but between them is the Armistead marker at the high water mark of Pickett's Charge.

White was in Co. H, 14th Va. Inf., Armistead's Brigade, Pickett's Division. In 1913, there was a 50th anniversary reunion at Gettysburg and veteran's from both sides attended in large numbers. The government set up a massive tent city and enlisted the boys scouts to tend to the needs of the many infirmed veterans. The railroads had special trains to and from Gettysburg for this once in a lifetime event. They gave all veterans the trip to and from Gettysburg free of charge.

At this time, White was living in the R.E. Lee Soldier's Home in Richmond. He is wearing the light grey suit (Sunday best) issued to all Confederate veterans living in Soldiers Homes. He was 69 at the time the picture was taken. He is the picture of Southern Gentility with the wide brim hat, suit and tie and cane.

[Image: pickett125.jpg]
07-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Great family photo and memories, Jim. I used to take my 8th graders to Gettysburg for a weekend, and of course, Pickett's Charge was one of the "lessons" to be learned. The kids were just like me (to this day), they all wondered what had to be going through those soldiers' minds as they set off across the way. Even though they still thought that the cavalry would be assisting from the Union rear, they had to think it was a suicide mission.

I have often thought the same thing about the USCT who stormed Battery Wagner. Those are my idea of heroes. We still have them today, but they don't get as much attention as movie stars, rockers, and sports people.