Imagine...
07-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Imagine...
Just think of the damage that Mrs. Lincoln could have done to their checking account in this place....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tn9hoo6cZFc
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2015, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 04:47 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Imagine...
OMG - NOTHING would make me want to go shopping in such an indoor temple of consumerism. I'd much prefer the 20 Sydney opera houses or 300 soccer fields. And better don't imagine a fire or another catastrophy hits the building!
07-06-2015, 05:20 PM
I wonder if they have a bookstore?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-06-2015, 05:22 PM
I think Dr. Patterson of Bellevue Place would agree, Laurie. In August, 1875, he wrote, "I am still unwilling to throw any obstacles in the way of giving her an opportunity to have a home with her sister. But I am willing to record the opinion that, such is the character of her malady, she will not be content to do this, and that the experiment, if made, will result only in giving the coveted opportunity to make extended rambles, to renew the indulgence of her purchasing mania, and other morbid mental manifestations..."

However, IMO, Dr. Patterson's prediction was wrong. From what I have read she did not do excessive shopping/purchases after her release (if memory serves me).
07-06-2015, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 06:17 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(07-06-2015 05:20 PM)Gene C Wrote:  I wonder if they have a bookstore?
Most books in Chinese, I guess.

Roger, if my memory serves me well, yours "works" either. Especially in France she had her finances, thus shoppings, strictly under control. When living with the Edwards, her sister once wrote Robert that she did continuento spend a lot on nonsense purchases, but not any beyond her means, and commented it was up to her (Mary) what to do with her money.
07-07-2015, 06:57 PM
The video says the city has a population of 14 million...yeah a biggg building is needed.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Elizabeth Edwards tried not to discuss Mary's shopping habits with anyone as she found it to be a painful subject. Elizabeth considered Mary's shopping a form of mania. In a letter to Robert written in 1876, Elizabeth wrote:

I think that she was nearly a week in New York spending much of the time in dining – and I presume as is her unfortunate custom, too much time, and money in shopping. I never refer to that painful point – in her monomania without a sigh and a tear.
Her recovery from it, seems so utterly hopeless – any exclamation of surprise at a purchase that seemed useless, on my part invariably called forth angry words from her. Thus I was prevented concerting any influence. As many as six trunks were added to those you sent down. I have been surprised to learn of the statements of merchants and dress makers. It is lamentable, but what can be done in so difficult a case?
08-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, I know of several people today with that same mania for buying anything in sight. Their homes resemble those of hoarders with only certain paths to walk through and tables and counters so crowded they are of no service. UPS and FedEx arrive several times every day thanks to the added benefits of QVC and the Home Shopping Network. Can you imagine what Mary could have done on Amazon?

I'm at the stage in life where I'm tired of possessions, but those who have this mania continue to feed it without seeking help. God bless the children or friends who have to step in to literally clean up their estates. However, judge not lest ye be judged, I guess. Some don't understand my frugality.
08-23-2015, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 04:38 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Didn't even one/some of the Edwards' servants quit because they feared the house would collapse from the weight of Mary's trunks stored on the second floor?
Mary was certainly a shopping addict, and not the only First Lady or VIP affected. E.g. think of Imelda Marcos' famous collection of 3,000 shoes.

Laurie, I share your feeling "less is more" (and prefer "quality before quantity"). However - as Frederick the Great said: "Let every man seek heaven in his own fashion"!
10-18-2015, 08:30 AM
(08-23-2015 03:30 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Didn't even one/some of the Edwards' servants quit because they feared the house would collapse from the weight of Mary's trunks stored on the second floor?
Mary was certainly a shopping addict, and not the only First Lady or VIP affected. E.g. think of Imelda Marcos' famous collection of 3,000 shoes.

Laurie, I share your feeling "less is more" (and prefer "quality before quantity"). However - as Frederick the Great said: "Let every man seek heaven in his own fashion"!

Yes, there were comments made about the weight of Mary's trunks that were stored in an upstairs room. However, most of the items contained in the trunks were items from the White House years and personal possessions. All of those beautiful pieces of silver, china, jewelry, clothing, photos, and other treasurers now located in museums where once stored in those trunks.