Recommendations
07-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Recommendations
Truth be told, I got tired of Civil War magazines years ago because many chose only military themes and others catered to the reenactors. However, the Surratt House has been receiving complimentary copies of a relatively new entry in the field, and I am impressed.

The Civil War Monitor's advertisements are even attractive! The summer issue was delivered today, and articles include a long one on "Angels of War," referring to volunteer nurses on both sides. There are also interesting articles on the prison camp at Belle Isle, the discovery of a photo showing Richmond's still smoldering ruins, and a good article on Texas and the Confederate forces holding on at all costs.

I don't do bookstores anymore, but some must have these in their magazine sections. Check it out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2015, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 06:53 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Recommendations
If you are not currently following David Taylor's excellent blog at BoothieBarn.com, I would highly recommend that you do so! Between this wonderful forum and Dave's equally wonderful blog, you will get the best edumacation on the Lincoln assassination (and related topics) that you could ask for -- and it's all free!

The reason that I'm preaching about the Barn again is because of a current post in response to an inquiry made by our Eva to Dave about John Surratt's escape from his captors in Veroli, Italy. Dave's reply is very good, and he utilized material from the new book by Michael Schein entitled John Surratt: The Lincoln Assassin Who Got Away. Mr. Schein is very detailed in his retelling of "The Leap Into Legend" with good citations dating back to 1867. He also addresses other variations of the story that don't hold water. The entire book is equally well-done.
07-02-2015, 06:55 PM
I forgot to add that Michael Schein visited Italy to retrace Surratt's visit and has included a photo of the precipice from which Surratt jumped as it appears today.
07-02-2015, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 08:02 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(07-02-2015 01:53 PM)L Verge Wrote:  If you are not currently following David Taylor's excellent blog at BoothieBarn.com, I would highly recommend that you do so! Between this wonderful forum and Dave's equally wonderful blog, you will get the best edumacation on the Lincoln assassination (and related topics) that you could ask for -- and it's all free!

The reason that I'm preaching about the Barn again is because of a current post in response to an inquiry made by our Eva to Dave about John Surratt's escape from his captors in Veroli, Italy. Dave's reply is very good, and he utilized material from the new book by Michael Schein entitled John Surratt: The Lincoln Assassin Who Got Away. Mr. Schein is very detailed in his retelling of "The Leap Into Legend" with good citations dating back to 1867. He also addresses other variations of the story that don't hold water. The entire book is equally well-done.
The reply was truly terrific - great and fascinating information! Thanks this way again, Dave!
For those who are interested in Surratt's "but leap":
http://boothiebarn.com/2015/07/02/jumpin...ment-26773
07-05-2015, 06:12 PM
I agree, Laurie!

This forum is brilliant. The knowledge and willingness to share is wonderful.

And Dave is doing such a great job with his blog. We can't help but follow it with anticipation of what is next.

Bob
07-08-2015, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 02:12 PM by L Verge.)
I would like to recommend that our members show support for a bill now in Congress to recognize an American Civil War icon with the Congressional Gold Medal for his long support of advancing interest in American history, especially in the Civil War field. I don't know how many of you have ever had the opportunity to be with Ed Bearss, retired Chief Historian Emeritis of the National Park Service and scholar extraordinaire, for one of his lectures or a battlefield tour, but he is truly a legend. And, at 92 years of age, he still remains very active in giving tours, etc.

The Civil War Trust has nominated Ed for the above award, and it has been introduced as a bill in the House of Representatives. They are seeking citizen support, so if you go to http://www.civilwar.org/take-action/speak-out/
you can lend your support by just giving name, address, and contact info. You will also see background information on this man (who nearly died as a special ops Marine during WWII and the battles in the Pacific). I have known Ed personally for about 25 years, and I can assure you that he is more than worthy of this recognition.

Another recommendation is to try and find a copy of the current issue of Hallowed Ground, the magazine of the Civil War Trust. There is an outstanding article in this issue entitled "Stalking John Wilkes Booth" that covers the assassination and the escape route. The article was written by Surratt Society member and Booth Tour narrator Bob Allen. It is complemented by wonderful photos taken by a private photographer who works with the Trust.

This magazine generally only goes to members of the Civil War Trust, I believe, but I hope you are able to find a copy somehow.
07-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Ed was been a dear friend for many, many years! He's a historical institution. I'm delighted that he's been nominated for this!

Thanks, Laurie!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-11-2015, 07:42 PM
(07-08-2015 02:04 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I would like to recommend that our members show support for a bill now in Congress to recognize an American Civil War icon with the Congressional Gold Medal for his long support of advancing interest in American history, especially in the Civil War field. I don't know how many of you have ever had the opportunity to be with Ed Bearss, retired Chief Historian Emeritis of the National Park Service and scholar extraordinaire, for one of his lectures or a battlefield tour, but he is truly a legend. And, at 92 years of age, he still remains very active in giving tours, etc.

The Civil War Trust has nominated Ed for the above award, and it has been introduced as a bill in the House of Representatives. They are seeking citizen support, so if you go to http://www.civilwar.org/take-action/speak-out/
you can lend your support by just giving name, address, and contact info. You will also see background information on this man (who nearly died as a special ops Marine during WWII and the battles in the Pacific). I have known Ed personally for about 25 years, and I can assure you that he is more than worthy of this recognition.

Another recommendation is to try and find a copy of the current issue of Hallowed Ground, the magazine of the Civil War Trust. There is an outstanding article in this issue entitled "Stalking John Wilkes Booth" that covers the assassination and the escape route. The article was written by Surratt Society member and Booth Tour narrator Bob Allen. It is complemented by wonderful photos taken by a private photographer who works with the Trust.

This magazine generally only goes to members of the Civil War Trust, I believe, but I hope you are able to find a copy somehow.

The article is available online: http://www.civilwar.org/hallowed-ground-...booth.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Carolyn - Thank you so much for finding this online! I hope that most of you agree that it is one of the best, condensed versions of the whole episode that you will find. The photography is fantastic - as was the photographer who worked on it. He is so dedicated that he spent the night camped out in his car in order to get shots of the Surratt House at sunset and also at sunrise for the best effect.

Of course, Booth and Herold were there at midnight, so that would be difficult to replicate. It has been done once (right down to "Mr. Lloyd" standing at the tavern door) for Blue and Gray magazine back in the 1990s, but it required many takes and many positioning of photographic lights on the lawn at midnight.
07-12-2015, 11:46 AM
The photography by Buddy Secor in that article is just beautiful.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
07-12-2015, 12:28 PM
(07-12-2015 11:46 AM)Jim Page Wrote:  The photography by Buddy Secor in that article is just beautiful.

--Jim

The one that shows the starry night from the perspective of the pine thicket actually reminded me more of what seeing the burning of the barn at Garrett's farm must have looked like from a half-mile away. What Buddy describes as stars could be burning embers blown high in the sky when the fire reached the flash-over stage.

He has given us permission to use any of those photos whenever we want!
07-13-2015, 05:59 AM
I wholeheartedly agree - wonderful article and BEAUTIFUL artwork! Wow!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-13-2015, 12:03 PM
(07-11-2015 07:42 PM)Carolyn Mitchell Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 02:04 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I would like to recommend that our members show support for a bill now in Congress to recognize an American Civil War icon with the Congressional Gold Medal for his long support of advancing interest in American history, especially in the Civil War field. I don't know how many of you have ever had the opportunity to be with Ed Bearss, retired Chief Historian Emeritis of the National Park Service and scholar extraordinaire, for one of his lectures or a battlefield tour, but he is truly a legend. And, at 92 years of age, he still remains very active in giving tours, etc.

The article is available online: http://www.civilwar.org/hallowed-ground-...booth.html
Thanks for the link - great article and great photos!!!