Seward House Visit
05-31-2015, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2015 05:44 PM by BettyO.)
Seward House Visit
Went on a "flying trip" up to Seward House Museum in Auburn New York on Thursday May 28, for a speaking engagement. I was accompanied by good friend and past Surratt Society President, Nancy Griffith. What a WONDERFUL time! Auburn is a fantastic, friendly little city and I encourage all of our Forum members to visit if they get a chance. This area of New York (Finger Lakes) is absolutely breathtaking and beautiful - it's a must! After a 14 hour drive, we arrived at midnight on the morning of May 29 and promptly fell into bed at the Inn at the Finger Lakes, a charming little hotel, awaking to a wonderful breakfast and the BEST coffee ever! Mid-morning, we went on a grand tour of the Seward Museum, the Fort Hill Cemetery to the Seward and Harriet Tubman grave sites, accompanied by John Kingsley, Director of Education. He is a fantastic guide and a lot of fun besides! The entire staff is a treasure - a great group of fantastic and fun folk! We toured the house from top to bottom; i.e. from the three (!) attics to the basement. One of the most beautiful artifacts is a mourning wreath of flowers from Lincoln's White House funeral. The William Seward House is a beautiful site and full of wonderful history - here is the website: http://sewardhouse.org/ Don't miss this, please!!

One of the most delightful treats of the entire trip was getting to meet our own, Herb Swingle! Herb is a consummate historian and scholar. He is a real treasure.

Herb and his lovely wife met us and took us to dinner in the beautiful and fantastic little village of Skaneateles (pronounced "skinny-atlas!") which is 5 miles from Auburn. We dined at the Sherwood Inn, a fabulous bed and breakfast which, according to it's website, [was] "built as a stagecoach stop in 1807, and ...has been a favorite resting place for travelers and locals for over two centuries." It has served celebrities and statesmen from George Washington to Alec Baldwin. The views of the Finger Lakes are fantastic. Definitely don't miss Auburn - it's full of fabulous history!

Excuse this LONG ramble - but I also wanted to share something else - We loved the mural painted on the brick wall of a clothing store on South Street - including life sized figures of Seward and Tubman in MODERN Dress!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2015, 05:53 PM
RE: Seward House Visit
Oh wow...I LOVE it when members share photos...thanks Betty! It sounds like you had a fantastic time!
05-31-2015, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2015 06:14 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(05-31-2015 05:53 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I LOVE it when members share photos...
Yes, I love it, too! And I love their long ramble about such places and endeavors! Betty, thank you so much for sharing!!! Maybe you will know - is the garden still like in Seward's times? Is there still anything he planted himself?
05-31-2015, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2015 06:30 PM by L Verge.)
I so envy Betty this trip! I have been to Auburn and Skaneatelas just once, and the Finger Lake regions twice, but I'd go back in a heartbeat -- as long as it isn't winter...

Betty, is the photo of the lake taken in Skaneatelas? Somehow I remember a small park that overlooked a lake just across the street from one of the greatest jewelry stores (that wouldn't let me leave until I purchased a pair of handmade blister pearl earrings). Of course, the earrings were some of the things taken when my house was robbed a few years ago (twice in one week). If I remember correctly, there was also a great ice cream store in that area.

Herb, you are a good looking young man. It is so nice to put a face on someone with whom you have shared "unique" experiences with "unique" people over the past 3-4 years.
05-31-2015, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2015 06:57 PM by BettyO.)
Quote:....is the garden still like in Seward's times? Is there still anything he planted himself?

The garden is wonderful - but I don't think it is laid out as Mr. Seward would have....don't know if he gardened! It is pretty much laid out and based on a typical Victorian garden of the period. The tract of land is pretty much as it was when the Seward family lived there - some of the land was lost to the parking lot on the side (city-owned) and to the street behind the house; otherwise, it is still the same.

Here are some photos I took of the gardens - AND for some reason, you find these "miniature daisies" (or are they chamomile?!) growing wild like clover EVERYWHERE! It looks like chamomile (which I love!) to me.... anyone know? I've never seen these anywhere else -

Quote:Betty, is the photo of the lake taken in Skaneatelas? Somehow I remember a small park that overlooked a lake just across the street from one of the greatest jewelry stores (that wouldn't let me leave until I purchased a pair of handmade blister pearl earrings). Of course, the earrings were some of the things taken when my house was robbed a few years ago (twice in one week). If I remember correctly, there was also a great ice cream store in that area.

Laurie, that photo of the lake was take across the street from the Sherwood Inn where we ate lunch in Skaneatelas. There was a smaller park overlooking a lake there as well - it has a fountain in it and yes, the ice cream store is STILL there!! There is also a wonderful pastry shop!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-31-2015, 07:01 PM
(05-31-2015 06:55 PM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote:....is the garden still like in Seward's times? Is there still anything he planted himself?

The garden is wonderful - but I don't think it is laid out as Mr. Seward would have....don't know if he gardened! It is pretty much laid out and based on a typical Victorian garden of the period. The tract of land is pretty much as it was when the Seward family lived there - some of the land was lost to the parking lot on the side (city-owned) and to the street behind the house; otherwise, it is still the same.

Here are some photos I took of the gardens - AND for some reason, you find these "miniature daisies" (or are they chamomile?!) growing wild like clover EVERYWHERE! It looks like chamomile (which I love!) to me.... anyone know? I've never seen these anywhere else -

[quote]Betty, is the photo of the lake taken in Skaneatelas? Somehow I remember a small park that overlooked a lake just across the street from one of the greatest jewelry stores (that wouldn't let me leave until I purchased a pair of handmade blister pearl earrings). Of course, the earrings were some of the things taken when my house was robbed a few years ago (twice in one week). If I remember correctly, there was also a great ice cream store in that area.

Laurie, that photo of the lake was take across the street from the Sherwood Inn where we ate lunch in Skaneatelas. There was a smaller park overlooking a lake there as well - it has a fountain in it and yes, the ice cream store is STILL there!! There is also a wonderful pastry shop!
[/quote

The daisies look like wild ones that grow along the roadsides here - and occasionally in my lawn...
06-01-2015, 05:07 AM
Kudos, Betty! I sure hope your talk at the Seward House went well. Your photos are outstanding. Herb, you and wife look great!
06-01-2015, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 04:30 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(06-01-2015 05:07 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Herb, you and wife look great!
Yes, and it's always nice to put faces to names.

Thanks for the photos, Betty!! Yes, he did garden. On pp. 657-658 are letters to his absent wife about his "gardening operations":
https://archive.org/stream/autobiographyofw00sewarich
There's a wonderful photo in "Team of Rivals" (following p.200) of Seward sitting in his garden in Auburn while awaiting the news from Chicago about the nomination.
06-01-2015, 06:06 AM
Thanks, Roger - I have more pics....

I'll post them later today -

06-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Congratulations Betty! In your third picture, is that Seward's study on the ground floor? It has been a long time since I was there but if so, that is the couch he died on. Do they still have the bloody sheets on display from his run-in with Powell?
Lastly, whey you visited Fort Hill Cemetery and stood in front of his grave, if you were to turn directly around there is a small hill behind you. On top of that hill is the grave of Capt.Myles Keogh. He died with Custer at the Little Big Horn. His horse, Comanche was the most famous of a couple of soldier horses that survived the battle. I believe Comanche lived his days out in Kansas and then was stuffed and is still on display at the University there.
06-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Hey, Rich!

Yes, that is Seward's Study/Library. And yes, the bloody sheet is still there - we saw that as well. Following is Fanny's personal library within Seward's study -

And....Seward's carriage in which he was riding when the accident occurred on April 5, 1865....

Wish I'd have known about Keogh! I LOVE Custer's Last Stand and collect books on that as well....I'm very familiar with Comanche and yes, he lived out his life on a farm in Kansas and has, like Little Sorrel, been stuffed and put on display....

06-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Here is an article about the Seward House that was published today. I don't think the author knew Betty has already given her lecture.

http://www.ithaca.com/special_sections/s...949d3.html
06-10-2015, 06:24 PM
After reading the article on the Seward House, make sure that you check the list of additional articles under the calendar. One is a basic history of the POW camp at Elmira that John Surratt was supposedly reconnoitering.
06-10-2015, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 06:55 PM by HerbS.)
YES! It is always nice to put a face with a name!You people are tremendous!Laurie,you are too nice. Roger, thanks. BettyO, it was my pleasure to meet and dine with you! We must do it again!Eva and all forum members,you must come and see our little bit of Lincoln Lore history!
10-05-2016, 05:38 AM
Bill Binzel and his wife, Lisa, visited the Seward House over the summer. He sent these great photos to share with the forum. Thank you, Bill!

[Image: wseward1.JPG]

[Image: wseward2.JPG]

[Image: wseward3.JPG]

[Image: wseward4.JPG]

[Image: wseward5.JPG]

[Image: wseward6.JPG]

[Image: wseward7.JPG]

[Image: wseward8.JPG]

[Image: wseward9.JPG]

[Image: wseward10.JPG]

[Image: wseward11.JPG]