I finally got to meet BettyO at the Seward House
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM
I finally got to meet BettyO at the Seward House
Today was a very special day for me! I got to meet and have lunch with our own BettyO at the Seward House in Auburn,NY.I also got to be with Nancy Griffith-former president of the Surratt Society.It was a very pleasant experience,as BettyO signed her book for me.I had never met a real-life Boothie before.So,watch-out-Laurie and Roger and rest of you avid people,if all is well with me,I hope to see you at next year's Surratt conference.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2015, 07:43 PM
RE: I finally got to meet BettyO at the Seward House
We're keeping a spot in the audience next year just for you Herb. It would be a great pleasure to finally meet you face-to-face.
05-30-2015, 02:26 AM
Herb, I am happy to hear things worked out this time (as I remember you had to cancel the conference this year) and you enjoyed it! Yes, it's wonderful to meet forum folks in reality as they are the nicest imaginable (and especially Betty and Nancy are a delight!)! I hope the conference will realize for you next year!
05-30-2015, 04:42 AM
That is wonderful, Herb. I have been reading the second edition of Betty's book and am amazed by all the research she has done!
05-30-2015, 08:12 AM
BettyO,took photos at lunch just for you Roger!She is a refreshing"trip"to experience in a life time.She will post the photos on the forum.Laurie,I hope to be at the Conference next year.Eva,BettyO,told me that you are amazing.
05-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Betty has been through a lot in her life and still maintains a wonderful sense of humor. She is very well-read, a talented artist, a very well-respected researcher and author, and a beloved friend to many - including me! She's one of those Steel Magnolias produced so well in the South.
05-30-2015, 06:52 PM
BettyO is a fantastic lady! I was fortunate to meet her.She is a very special person.
05-31-2015, 04:53 AM
Yes, she is - absolutely!
05-31-2015, 04:49 PM
I read Alias Paine a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it!
05-31-2015, 04:52 PM
"Alias Paine"is a tremendous read!
05-31-2015, 05:05 PM
(05-31-2015 04:52 PM)HerbS Wrote:  "Alias Paine"is a tremendous read!

I Second!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
05-31-2015, 05:51 PM
I only know BettyO through pm messages, but she does indeed seem like a sweetheart of a lady.

She's the one who helped me with my avatar when I first joined the Forum.Tongue
05-31-2015, 06:21 PM
I have to share a tale about her cat, Punkin...

Although she has 3-4 cats, her favorite is Punkin. Obviously Punkin misses her when she's gone overnight. Betty returned late last night to a very happy cat -- who then took the opportunity to sneak into one of the bathrooms and steal a roll of toilet paper. She then dragged it down the hall and went "undercover" in Betty's bed to shred up a pile of "confetti" to welcome her mistress home.

After 11 hours of driving home, I'm sure that Betty still got a huge laugh out of those shenanigans.
05-31-2015, 06:49 PM
It was a tough,long,trip up to NY,but if anyone can do it,she can! She also had a wonderful companion in NancyG. and her phone-friends.She has a great outlook when it comes to travel and history!It had to be a long trip,but fun,back.I coud not do that turn around trip now at this age.
05-31-2015, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2015 07:11 PM by BettyO.)
Ya'll are much too kind! The talk went great - lots and lots of questions; but the highlight was a young man, ten years old, who is enthralled with the assassination. He asked interesting questions and, according to his grandmother, can't seem to get enough of the assassination and the civil war.....what a delight!

Herb is WONDERFUL and he was, to me, the highlight of the trip!! I so much enjoyed meeting him and his beautiful wife! Nancy agreed wholeheartedly. I wish we could have had more time to stay and visit a bit longer - perhaps sometime later! Next time, I'm going to take it slow -- there WILL be a "next time" in the future. NY is just too pretty and too much fun to miss....

This was basically a "flying trip" up and back! John Kingsley, Director of Education at Seward House, is moving down to DC to finish his Grad work this August and he wants to hook up with myself, Joan and you, Laurie! He wants to visit Surratt House, Ford's, McNair, etc..... I told him to call -

And yes, I had a huge laugh out of Punkin's antics at "making confetti" to welcome me home last night!! She is one smart cat....TOO smart!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley