Historical Comparisons
05-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Historical Comparisons
In another thread, the meaning of history was discussed. Is history the absolute occurrence of events (if a tree fell in the forest…) or the recording of the event by a historian and that interpretation? If the latter, which I believe is the case, then history is subject to change or even forgotten.
Let’s look at the case of two groups of Americans fighting for freedom. Davey Crockett and his group at the Alamo and John Brown and his at Harpers Ferry. Both events ended in the deaths of the leaders and the majority of the group they fought with.
Why has the Alamo been raised to cult status and Harpers Ferry a footnote in history books?
I would be interested in the thoughts of the people on this board. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: Historical Comparisons
in a phrase, Manifest Destiny
05-23-2015, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 07:06 PM by L Verge.)
I agree with Bill. However, I'm not sure that Brown's raid has been reduced to a footnote. I think it's held in pretty good standing as the spark that ignited a smoldering flame. I also think that more emphasis is placed now on a variety of abolitionist personalities that pushed for emancipation in more peaceful ways in order for historians to show that it was more than one violent old man with a history of violent behavior trying to get his point across.
05-23-2015, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 05:07 PM by Gene C.)
Disney didn't do a movie and a television series with Fess Parker staring as John Brown.
The Ballad of Davey Crockett is a much better theme song than "John Brown's Body Lies A Moldin' in the Grave"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XbB0z3UW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jso1YRQnpCI

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-23-2015, 10:56 PM
It depends upon what leaders want to remember. I was at a business conference in Canada in a hotel meeting room named Dieppe. Now Canadians fought well during WWII but why would they want to remember Dieppe which was a disaster? Then I thought of the Alamo and figured we did the same thing honoring the courage not just the victories.