Kentucky Derby
04-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Kentucky Derby
It's that time of year! NBC and NBCSN will have Derby coverage starting tomorrow with the Post Position Draw @ 5:30. Here is the full coverage schedule:

KENTUCKY DERBY
Date Time Event Network
Wed., April 29 5:30 p.m. Kentucky Derby Draw NBCSN
Thurs., April 30 4 p.m. Kentucky Derby Access NBCSN
Fri., May 1 12:30 p.m. Kentucky Oaks NBCSN
Sat., May 2 Noon Kentucky Derby Prep NBCSN
Sat., May 2 4 p.m. Kentucky Derby
Sat., May 2 7 p.m. Kentucky Derby Post Race Show

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2015, 12:25 PM
RE: Kentucky Derby
Thomas, I will guess one of Baffert's horses will win, but I am making no predictions. I lost my shirt on Bodemeister in 2012, so I will stay quiet on this one.
04-28-2015, 02:50 PM
(04-28-2015 12:25 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thomas, I will guess one of Baffert's horses will win, but I am making no predictions. I lost my shirt on Bodemeister in 2012, so I will stay quiet on this one.

He has Dortmund and American Pharaoh in the Derby. I am picking International Star to win.

04-30-2015, 12:28 PM
What is the best recipe for mint julips? And which bourbon/rye?
BTW - for the holidays I was given a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. I have not opened it yet!
04-30-2015, 12:37 PM
On Derby Day Vicki makes the most wonderful Kentucky burgoo from a recipe she got when we were at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington in the 1980's.
04-30-2015, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 03:46 PM by L Verge.)
(04-30-2015 12:28 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  What is the best recipe for mint julips? And which bourbon/rye?
BTW - for the holidays I was given a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. I have not opened it yet!

Doesn't it have to be bourbon when you're talking Kentucky??

I am not an expert on mint juleps, but I think all of the juleps have the same ingredients -- simple syrup, bruised spearmint leaves, ice , and bourbon.

Here's an interesting history site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5_5e5BD5yw

There is also a reference in Death To Traitors (I think) about a Southern Maryland family being arrested by Union officers and transported to the Old Capitol Prison in D.C. En route, they supposedly stopped at Surratt's Tavern for refreshment, and the Surratts brought out mint juleps for the prisoners.

Somehow, I just can't envision anyone in the Surratt family or any bartender here knowing how to prepare a mint julep. I think its original purpose was as a morning drink also.
04-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Roger, I had never heard of a burgoo before; I thought you were making a joke on the word, "burger!" Can you share Vicki's recipe?

Laurie, many years ago I had a big idea to make mint juleps to celebrate Kentucky Derby Day. I'm fairly certain I followed the recipe accurately and I used the best ingredients I could find, but the results tasted nasty and I dumped the whole mess down the sink.

Either I did it wrong or those are an acquired taste! But, to be perfectly honest, I am the world's worst at making mixed drinks.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
04-30-2015, 04:45 PM
(04-30-2015 04:29 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  Roger, I had never heard of a burgoo before; I thought you were making a joke on the word, "burger!" Can you share Vicki's recipe?

Hi Jim. Here's the recipe. Good luck if you decide to make it!

[Image: burgoo.jpg]
04-30-2015, 06:01 PM
(04-30-2015 04:45 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Jim. Here's the recipe. Good luck if you decide to make it!

[Image: burgoo.jpg]

Thanks, Roger! I wouldn't dare try to make it, but Patty will, and my daughter will make it for her family!

I love when they cook great new recipes!

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
04-30-2015, 06:10 PM
(04-30-2015 03:44 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(04-30-2015 12:28 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  What is the best recipe for mint julips? And which bourbon/rye?

Doesn't it have to be bourbon when you're talking Kentucky??

I am not an expert on mint juleps, but I think all of the juleps have the same ingredients -- simple syrup, bruised spearmint leaves, ice , and bourbon.

Here's an interesting history site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5_5e5BD5yw

There is also a reference in Death To Traitors (I think) about a Southern Maryland family being arrested by Union officers and transported to the Old Capitol Prison in D.C. En route, they supposedly stopped at Surratt's Tavern for refreshment, and the Surratts brought out mint juleps for the prisoners.

Somehow, I just can't envision anyone in the Surratt family or any bartender here knowing how to prepare a mint julep. I think its original purpose was as a morning drink also.
The Bourbon has to be Woodford Reserve or Makers 46.

04-30-2016, 07:10 PM
It's that time of year. Catch the KY Derby this Saturday from 4-7:15 on NBC. My friend Larry Collmus will call the Derby and the Turf Classic Stakes.

04-30-2016, 08:10 PM
I thought the Derby was next Saturday, May 7??

Anyhow, you got me to remembering last year's winner, American Pharaoh, who went on to win the Triple Crown. Here's an interesting feature on how he's spending his retirement years: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-colum...63472.html

The Pharaoh has a link to Maryland and its famous Belair Stables in Bowie. He is descended through their famous horse, Nassau. The Belair Stables are now operated as a museum, and Maryland is considered the birthplace of American Thoroughbred racing.
04-30-2016, 08:18 PM
(04-30-2016 08:10 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I thought the Derby was next Saturday, May 7??

Anyhow, you got me to remembering last year's winner, American Pharaoh, who went on to win the Triple Crown. Here's an interesting feature on how he's spending his retirement years: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-colum...63472.html

The Pharaoh has a link to Maryland and its famous Belair Stables in Bowie. He is descended through their famous horse, Nassau. The Belair Stables are now operated as a museum, and Maryland is considered the birthplace of American Thoroughbred racing.

Whoops! I meant Next Saturday. Evidence that an all day bus tour can wipe a poor man out!
To quote the Breeders Cup Classic Call by my friend on Pharoah, he is a horse of a lifetime.

04-30-2016, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2016 08:54 PM by L Verge.)
(04-30-2016 08:18 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  
(04-30-2016 08:10 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I thought the Derby was next Saturday, May 7??

Whoops! I meant Next Saturday. Evidence that an all day bus tour can wipe a poor man out!
To quote the Breeders Cup Classic Call by my friend on Pharoah, he is a horse of a lifetime.

I goofed also and misspelled his ancestor's name. I meant Nashua, not Nassau. I think Nashua was part of the Woodward family's stable at Bowie when they owned that magnificent farm and mansion. However, I believe the Woodwards were from Nassau County in New York - hence my confusion. The Woodwards are an interesting subject also (great murder mystery) and subject of a trilogy of historical novels. Can't remember the titles, but the word "Swan" is in at least one.

Check out this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7SfCczDxzY
05-01-2016, 04:53 AM
True story --> When I was in high school the kid who sat next to me was named Carl Bruce Nyquist. (all the N's and were in the same homeroom)

Without even renewing this old acquaintance I think I know which horse he's cheering for in this year's Derby.