Antique Cars at Surratt House
04-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Antique Cars at Surratt House
Many thanks to Laurie for sending the following information. Also included is a photo from the event.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

52 antique cars, ranging in age from ca. 1900 to 1970, and 95 owners of said cars spent the morning at Surratt House today as part of their caravan on the trail of John Wilkes Booth. My favorite was a ca. 1920 taxi cab, but so far I don’t have a photo of it. Everyone loved these “Woodies,” however. One of my hoop-skirted ladies was offered a ride in one of the cars with a rumble seat. She decided not to try getting into it with all those skirts.

To top it off, we had a busload from a senior community arrive while the cars were still here. I should have charged them extra for the additional history they got! One downer was that a 1969 Chevy Malibu was among the antique cars. That was the first car I bought with my own hard-earned money from teaching. I think I paid $8000 for it in 1969. This one, today, is up for sale at $30,000.

[Image: antiquecar.JPG]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2015, 08:01 AM
RE: Antique Cars at Surratt House
I love to see antique vehicles restored!
05-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Thanks to Laurie for sending:

Collectors of antique Packard automobiles visited the Surratt House today, and we warmly welcomed a Lincoln among the group. Pictured here is a 1921 Lincoln model.

[Image: photo7001.JPG]

[Image: photo7002.jpg]
05-27-2017, 07:59 PM
Any Model T's?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2017, 08:10 PM
My neighbor in Kalamazoo has a 1929-model T for sale-mint condition-fully restored!
05-27-2017, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 09:17 PM by L Verge.)
(05-27-2017 07:59 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Any Model T's?

These were all Packards. I doubt that few people under the age of 50 have even heard of them.

(05-27-2017 09:13 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 07:59 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Any Model T's?

These were all Packards. I doubt that few people under the age of 50 have even heard of them.

After posting above, I looked up the date of when the last Packard was produced. I found out that the company merged with Studebaker after WWII, and both companies then had difficulties. The last Packard rolled off the assembly line on June 25, 1956.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...d-produced
05-28-2017, 08:32 AM
The old Packard plant here in Michigan remains vacated but there is talk about restoring it for some kind od use-like tourism?

Bill Nash
05-28-2017, 05:41 PM
Our neighbor across the street collected antique cars when I was a kid. I was about 10years old and he gave myself, my sister and my best friend a ride in his rumble seated 1930s car. I can't remember the model of the vehicle, but we had a ball!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-29-2017, 05:03 AM
The building where the Model T was build is in Highland Park, Michigan on Woodward Avenue. There is a historical marker there. Sadly, the building has been vacant since production ceased- as far as I know. I often wondered why it wasn't made into a tourist site.

Bill Nash