Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
Terry Alford mentioned that he has a new theory on this subject that explains not only the entry, but why Charles Forbes was never called to give a statement after the assassination. I have his book on order, but confess that it is under a pile of other books on the assassination that I have just started reading.

Could anyone who has read Alford's book yet fill us in on his theory? I always assumed it was because of Booth's theater fame.

Heath
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 08:46 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
(04-01-2015 04:42 PM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  Terry Alford mentioned that he has a new theory on this subject that explains not only the entry, but why Charles Forbes was never called to give a statement after the assassination. I have his book on order, but confess that it is under a pile of other books on the assassination that I have just started reading.

Could anyone who has read Alford's book yet fill us in on his theory? I always assumed it was because of Booth's theater fame.

Heath

Mr. Alford poses his theory on page 264 of the book. He believes the card Booth presented to Forbes was that of John Parker Hale, the father of Lucy Hale. In the footnotes, he writes that Lucy's grandson, John Parker Hale Chandler wrote to Helen Milius "that it was well understood in his family that Booth used Hale's card." He also cites other sources to buttress his claim.

Mr. Alford states that Forbes was not meant to serve as Lincoln's bodyguard that evening, but only as a "valet", and he would not have thought a famous actor who carried around the visiting card of a former Republican senator would pose a threat to the President.

Mr. Alford also posits that J.P. Hale was aware Booth had used his name in order to get to Lincoln, and that when he attended Andrew Johnson's inauguration on the morning of April 15, he and Johnson had a "private" discussion during which Hale "explained away" his family's association with Booth. Alford speculates that this discussion may be the reason why Lucy was never dragged into the investigation, and why Forbes was never forced to produce the card. It seems to have vanished into the mists of history.
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2015, 10:18 PM
If someone else had said that, I would think they were telling a tall tale.
Another book to add to my wish list.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Thanks.

That's very interesting, and I look forward to reading it in Alford's book. It's always fun to hear aspects of the assassination that you had never heard before, and this certainly qualifies. It would certainly explain what was on the card that Booth presented to Forbes.

Heath
04-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Terry's theory makes good sense to me.
04-03-2015, 02:15 PM
This is all fascinating. I always assumed Booth was admitted solely because of his fame and celebrity...sort of like what would happen today if Tom Cruise or Liam Neeson requested in to see the president.
04-03-2015, 02:38 PM
The closest witness, Dr. Todd, stated he saw Booth write something on the card. Does the book address that statement?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
04-03-2015, 07:48 PM
(04-03-2015 02:38 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  The closest witness, Dr. Todd, stated he saw Booth write something on the card. Does the book address that statement?

No, there's no mention of JWB writing anything on the card.
04-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Terry's theory makes sense if one can definitively place Forbes outside the box when Booth handed him the card. Forbes himself claimed he was inside the box when Booth entered. " I accompanied [Lincoln] in the carriage, was with him from the carriage to the box in the theatre, and was in the box when the assassin fired his fatal shot. (FORBES) http://chicagohistory.org/wetwithblood/b.../index.htm

Does Terry address this?
04-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Hi Anita-

In the book "We Saw Lincoln Shot" I am pretty certain at least one of the 100 witnesses interviewed says that he saw JWB present his card to a man sitting outside the president's box and gain admission. Major Rathbone also made no mention of any other male in the box who might have assisted him in detaining Booth.

I think Forbes is resorting to good old fashioned CYA tactics by implying that he was not responsible for JWB gaining entry.Undecided
04-04-2015, 05:31 AM
Another close witness was Captain Theodore McGowan who was seated on the right side of the dress circle. Here is his account of what took place:

"I was present at Ford’s Theatre on the night of the assassination. I was sitting in the aisle leading by the wall toward the door of the President’s box, when a man came and disturbed me in my seat, causing me to push my chair forward to permit him to pass; he stopped about three feet from where I was sitting, and leisurely took a survey of the house. I looked at him because he happened to be in my line of sight. He took a small pack of visiting-cards, selecting one and replacing the others, stood a second, perhaps, with it in his hand, and then showed it to the President's messenger, who was sitting just below him. Whether the messenger took the card into the box, or, after looking at it, allowed him to go in, I do not know; but in a moment or two more, I saw him go through the door of the lobby leading to the box and close the door."
04-04-2015, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 07:57 AM by HerbS.)
It all boils down to-who you know,not what you know[Booth],doesn't it.Look at all the people who say they had ancestors on the Mayflower!
04-04-2015, 12:15 PM
(04-04-2015 05:31 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Another close witness was Captain Theodore McGowan who was seated on the right side of the dress circle. Here is his account of what took place:

"I was present at Ford’s Theatre on the night of the assassination. I was sitting in the aisle leading by the wall toward the door of the President’s box, when a man came and disturbed me in my seat, causing me to push my chair forward to permit him to pass; he stopped about three feet from where I was sitting, and leisurely took a survey of the house. I looked at him because he happened to be in my line of sight. He took a small pack of visiting-cards, selecting one and replacing the others, stood a second, perhaps, with it in his hand, and then showed it to the President's messenger, who was sitting just below him. Whether the messenger took the card into the box, or, after looking at it, allowed him to go in, I do not know; but in a moment or two more, I saw him go through the door of the lobby leading to the box and close the door."

Thanks Roger. I cannot locate my copy but I do remember reading that.
04-04-2015, 12:25 PM
He also said his first thought was Booth was intoxicated.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
04-04-2015, 12:26 PM
If Forbes had kept the card, what became of it? Did he forget to turn it over to the investigators?