Lincoln Funeral Train to Railroad History
03-28-2015, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2015 12:02 PM by HerbS.)
Lincoln Funeral Train to Railroad History
Yesterday a Kiwanis friend,who is a local railroad historian,told me that the Lincoln Funeral Train will stop in Fairport,NY[suburb of Rochester,NY] this summer.Wow,what a fantastic opportunity to see living history!If any of you have have any information about this event,please post.I will keep you in the know with updates.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2015, 10:55 PM
RE: Lincoln Funeral Train to Railroad History
A few of us discussed this at last week's conference: http://tdn.com/news/national/lincoln-fun...22f94.html

It would appear that the train will not be stopping anywhere. A very sad commentary after all the publicity surrounding the recreation of Lincoln's inaugural journey a few years back...
03-29-2015, 07:40 AM
If it doesn't stop in Fairport,NY,I will be very disappointed,as will others!
03-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I guess there will be lots of disappointed people because that article sure makes it sound like the project is stalled on the tracks. Isn't there a story about Lincoln's Ghost Train? Maybe it can stop in Fairport...
03-29-2015, 02:16 PM
(03-29-2015 12:15 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Isn't there a story about Lincoln's Ghost Train?

Laurie, there are several, and here's one of my favorites:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lincoln Death Train - A New York Ghost Story

retold by

S. E. Schlosser

I'd been transferred to the Hudson Division of the New York Central system, and was working the rails on the main line between New York and Albany. I was on the late shift to start with, since I was a bit of a night owl. After six weeks of stomping the tracks and mending the rails, I was feeling right at home in my new job.

Then, just before midnight on a clear spring night in late April, we got a report of some brush on the track near our station. I was sent out immediately to clear it away before the next train came. I had nearly an hour before the next train, and so I did not hurry as I walked along the rails. It was surprisingly pleasant and rather warm. Overhead, the clouds were obscuring the moon, but the light from my lantern made a cheerful glow in the night.

Suddenly, a chilly wind swept over the rails with a whoosh, like a wind just before a thunderstorm. It was so strong that it nearly knocked me over. I staggered backward, swearing and wind-milling my arms to try to keep my balance. I almost dropped the lantern, but managed to get my balance just before it slipped out of my hand.

Shivering in the sudden cold, I squinted down the track and saw a huge blanket of utter darkness rolling toward me. It blanked out the rails, the trees, the sky, everything. "Good lord, what is that?" I gasped. I leapt away from the track and started to run back toward the station, but the darkness swept up and over me before I had moved a yard. The lantern in my hand was snuffed out instantly.

I stopped, unable to see more than a few paces around me. To my right, the rails began to gleam with a strange blue light. I staggered backwards from the tracks, my pulses pounding in fear and dread. What was going on?

Then the headlight of a train pierced the thick darkness. It gleamed blue-white in the strange black fog, and when it appeared, the rails brightened in response. A huge steam-engine draped in black crepe approached, stacks bellowing forth a steady stream of smoke. The brass on the engine gleamed, and it pulled several flat cars along behind it. I stared into the windows of the engine, but couldn't see any crew.

Just at the edge of hearing came the faint sound of music and turned to look at the flat cars behind the engine. I gasped and back up so far that I bumped into the trunk of a tree growing near the tracks. There was a glowing orchestra of skeletons seated in a semi-circle. They were playing a nearly-soundless funeral dirge on glowing black instruments. A violinist played passionately; a skeleton lifted a flute to its lipless mouth; a lone drummer sat waiting patiently for his cue from the skeletal conductor.

Then the orchestra was gone and another glowing headlight pierced the blackness. I was trying unsuccessfully to push my way through the bark of the tree by this time. Another black crepe draped train was approaching. A funeral train, I thought. Again, there was no one manning the engine, and no one appeared on the flat car behind it. The only thing there was a single black-crepe draped coffin. But swirling in the air around the train were the ghostly figures of soldiers dressed in the blue uniforms worn by the North during the civil war. They lined up before my eyes, saluting the solitary coffin as it passed. Some of the ghosts staggered under the weight of their own coffins; some limped on one leg or sat in a wheeled chair, legless. Their eyes were fixed upon the flat-car and the black-creped coffin. Then they were joined by soldiers from the Southern army, and all these lads saluted too, honoring the one who had fallen.

That's when I knew what I was seeing. This was the funeral train of Abraham Lincoln. I straightened up and saluted myself, having done my bit for the North many years ago.

The steam train moved slowly away and with it went the darkness and the chill and the clouds that had obscured the moon. In my hand, the lantern sprang back to life. I blinked a few times and brushed away a tear. As the world around me brightened, I saw the reported brush littering the tracks right in front of me. Mechanically, I cleared it away and made sure the track was safe for the next train. Then I went back to the station.

The next morning, all the clocks on the Hudson Division were six minutes behind and all the trains were running six minutes late. When I asked the stationmaster about it, he shook his head and told me not to worry. It was caused by the Lincoln Death Train, which had stopped time as it ran by in the night.
03-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks Laurie and Roger,let's see how it all plays out!I will keep my hopes up.
03-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Thank you to Laurie for sending this information.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

National Park Service

Commemoration of the 150th Anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s Funeral Train

Abraham Lincoln – The Final Journey

New York Avenue Presbyterian Church
1313 New York Ave NW, Washington, DC 20005
5:30 PM, Saturday, April 18, 2015

Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. This will be the first of the National Park Service's "funeral" stops commemorating the 150th anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln's Funeral Train and return of his body to Springfield, Illinois in 1865.

This special presentation will be held on the 150th anniversary of the service held in Washington DC in 1865. It will mark that service and the departure of President Abraham Lincoln's body and funeral train from Washington bound for his final resting place in Springfield Illinois.

Come hear about the events surrounding Lincoln's assassination, his funeral, his vision for America as he expressed it during his life, and his hopes of moving the nation from Civil War to Civil Rights.

Accomplished actor Richard Frederick "Fritz" Klein will appear as Lincoln at the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. Actor Klein of Springfield, Illinois has portrayed Abraham Lincoln in 38 states and internationally.

New York Avenue Presbyterian Church (NYAPC) is intimately connected with the life of Abraham Lincoln. The church welcomed President Abraham Lincoln and his family as pew holders on the first Sunday following his inauguration in March 1861. President Lincoln worshiped regularly at NYAPC during the American Civil War. Lincoln and NYAPC’s pastor, Rev. Dr. Phineas Densmore Gurley, developed a relationship in which they frequently discussed theology and those discussions and Gurley’s sermons likely influenced Lincoln’s perception of the war and its meaning for the nation. Gurley presided over the funeral of Lincoln’s son, William Wallace Lincoln, in 1862, and then over the funeral of Lincoln himself in 1865.

This one hour, first person interpretation of Lincoln by Mr. Klein is free of charge to the public.
07-24-2015, 11:31 PM
If you're in or near North Carolina, the Lincoln Funeral Car is coming to Spencer, NC (not far from Charlotte) at the end of August! Can't wait!

http://www.thosetrainpeople.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2015, 05:04 AM
Thank you for posting this, Susan. There's a nice color photo of the funeral car on that page. It was Dr. Wayne Wesolowski's research that led to getting the color of the car correct.