S.O.S.
02-22-2015, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 05:11 PM by Lincoln Wonk.)
S.O.S.
Hi everyone, Would anyone have a source for Lincoln's 1860 resume sent to George Ashmun -- the one that describes his hair as coarse and his education as defective?
I found the resume in the records of the Columbia Historical Society a few years ago, but, unfortunately, didn't take copious notes about where in the records. Now I'm answering a copy editor who wants more information. I thought I could just sub another reference because I know I've seen it in other places, but, when I went looking, I could find it nowhere.
Anybody have an idea?
Thanks,
Kathy

Thanks, Roger.
If I don't find that specific resume, I can use these as references instead.
You are a lifesaver.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2015, 05:12 PM
RE: S.O.S.
Kathy, as far as I know, these are the only autobiographies that Lincoln wrote.
06-24-2015, 03:52 PM
(02-22-2015 05:12 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kathy, as far as I know, these are the only autobiographies that Lincoln wrote.

Roger, Believe it or not, I just noticed your answer. Thank you. I'm looking for the one to Ashmun, which is very like the first you mentioned, except that I believe his original mentions coarse black hair and gray eyes. Kathy
06-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Hi Kathy. In the biographical sketch he sent to Jesse Fell in 1859 Lincoln wrote:

"If any personal description of me is thought desirable, it may be said, I am, in height, six feet, four inches, nearly; lean in flesh, weighing on an average one hundred and eighty pounds; dark complexion, with coarse black hair, and grey eyes--no other marks or brands recollected."
06-24-2015, 04:30 PM
(06-24-2015 04:16 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Kathy. In the biographical sketch he sent to Jesse Fell in 1859 Lincoln wrote:

"If any personal description of me is thought desirable, it may be said, I am, in height, six feet, four inches, nearly; lean in flesh, weighing on an average one hundred and eighty pounds; dark complexion, with coarse black hair, and grey eyes--no other marks or brands recollected."

Wow. Roger, That's what I was looking for back then,, and now too. Just found it online at http://housedivided.dickinson.edu/sites/...r-20-1859/ Thanks so much.

I have to get the site down. I keep answering emails weeks late or answering the same ones twice months apart. But, in this case, it worked out.
Thanks, Roger.