Tarbell and Woodrow Wilson
02-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Tarbell and Woodrow Wilson
I received word yesterday that an article I wrote on the friendship between Ida Tarbell and Woodrow Wilson will be published by Garden State Legacy. It is an emagazine devoted to New Jersey history. The URL is gardenstatelegacy.com and the article will appear on March 15. You will need to be a subscriber, but subscriptions are free.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 02:54 PM
RE: Tarbell and Woodrow Wilson
That's good news Rob, congratulations.
Can you tell us, without giving the story line away, what's the New Jersey connection?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
02-10-2015, 03:10 PM
(02-10-2015 02:36 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  I received word yesterday that an article I wrote on the friendship between Ida Tarbell and Woodrow Wilson will be published by Garden State Legacy. It is an emagazine devoted to New Jersey history. The URL is gardenstatelegacy.com and the article will appear on March 15. You will need to be a subscriber, but subscriptions are free.

Best
Rob

Congratulations!
02-10-2015, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 03:30 PM by Linda Anderson.)
Congratulations, Rob. Ida M. Tarbell: The Woman Who Challenged Big Business--and Won! by Emily Arnold McCully is a 2015 YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Administration) Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults Finalist.

http://www.ala.org/yalsa/nonfiction-award

http://www.amazon.com/Ida-M-Tarbell-Chal...822&sr=1-2

02-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Congratulations, Rob!
02-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Way to go, Rob!
02-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Congratulations, Rob!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-10-2015, 06:57 PM
That's great, Rob! Congrats!!!
02-10-2015, 07:56 PM
(02-10-2015 02:54 PM)Gene C Wrote:  That's good news Rob, congratulations.
Can you tell us, without giving the story line away, what's the New Jersey connection?

Gene,

The article isn't about New Jersey per se, but I submitted it there given that Wilson (before he was president) taught at and was later president of Princeton and also served as governor of New Jersey before going to the White House.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
02-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks for sharing your good news. Congratulations. Checked out the gardenstatelegacy.com site. Read a few of the articles. Looking forward to reading yours!
02-11-2015, 07:46 PM
(02-10-2015 02:36 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  I received word yesterday that an article I wrote on the friendship between Ida Tarbell and Woodrow Wilson will be published by Garden State Legacy. It is an emagazine devoted to New Jersey history. The URL is gardenstatelegacy.com and the article will appear on March 15. You will need to be a subscriber, but subscriptions are free.

Best
Rob
Greetings! This is my first post to this wonderful group. I am delighted that Rob's piece will appear in gardenstatelegacy.com and I look forward to reading it online. Happy Birthday to Abe Lincoln and all who revere that great president.
Best,
Kathleen Brady, author of Ida Tarbell Portrait of a Muckraker
02-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Great News,Rob
Tom
02-12-2015, 10:23 AM
I know that Tarbell and Wilson had a political relationship, but I don't know enough about how they felt about each other on a more personal basis. By that, I mean that it seems to me that they would be the Odd Couple, given his feelings on race and other social issues. I admit to not being well-read on either personality.
02-12-2015, 12:14 PM
First, welcome Kathleen. The forum is lucky to have someone of your caliber (among others) here. You have helped my writing immensely.

As for Wilson and Tarbell's friendship, it came about due to their shared Progressive idealism and belief in American democracy. Plus, Tarbell admired Wilson's idealism regarding peace, which is why American rejection of the Treaty of Versailles proved deeply bitter to her. I go into this in my article.

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
03-17-2015, 12:25 PM
My article on Tarbell and Wilson, titled "The Man She Could Not Forget" is now available at Garden State Legacy. Just a reminder, you have to subscribe to be able to read it, but subscriptions are free. Hope all enjoy.

Best
Rob

gardenstatelegacy.com

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg