The Widow Lincoln
12-18-2014, 10:25 AM
The Widow Lincoln
Ford's Theatre Society to Continue Season with THE WIDOW LINCOLN in January

The Ford's Theatre Society 2014-2015 season continues with the world premiere drama The Widow Lincoln, by James Still and directed by Stephen Rayne. The production features Mary Bacon in the title role. The Widow Lincoln plays January 23 through February 22, 2015 at the historic Ford's Theatre (511 Tenth Street NW, Washington, D.C.). Ford's Theatre commissioned this world premiere as part of Ford's 150: Remembering the Lincoln Assassination, a series of events marking the 150 years since Abraham Lincoln's assassination at Ford's Theatre.

Ridiculed and disdained for her perceived sense of entitlement, Mary Lincoln sparked more controversy than any First Lady before or since. Set in the White House during the weeks following Lincoln's assassination, The Widow Lincoln portrays a very human Mary in the aftermath of her husband's death as she mourns the post-war life they will never share. Playwright James Still (The Heavens Are Hung In Black) returns with an emotional drama that explores the tenacious attitudes and heartbreaking grief of the maligned "Mrs. President."

"As a writer I am always drawn to story and character first- and the story of Abraham and Mary Lincoln, both as individuals and as a couple, is rich with complexity, ambition and tragedy," said playwright James Still. "I am struck by Mary Lincoln's fierceness, by her wit and by the accumulation of personal tragedies that made it more and more difficult for her to live her life without fear. Through my researching and writing, I've come to see a sharp political woman who is at once dramatic, tragic and, at times, triumphant."

"As we prepare to mark this milestone year, all eyes turn to the Lincolns, and we couldn't be happier than to have James back at Ford's with this fresh look at the familiar Lincoln story," said Director of Ford's Theatre Paul R. Tetreault.

The Widow Lincoln is made possible by Lead Sponsor Exxon Mobil Corporation and Production Sponsor Fluor Corporation. The 2014-2015 season sponsors are The Home Depot and Chevron.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/washington-...-20141217#
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2014, 10:33 AM
RE: The Widow Lincoln
I really wanted this play to still be in production during the Surratt Conference so that it could be the matinee that we are taking a busload to on Friday.
12-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a wonderful and very interesting production. I wish that I could see this one.
12-24-2014, 12:58 AM
It breaks my heart that I cannot afford to make the trip East to see this...how I would love to! Sad

If anyone from the Board goes, please come back and give a review!
01-23-2015, 08:05 PM
"The Widow Lincoln" at Ford's
Last night, (Thursday 1/22) I was fortunate enough to attend the dress rehearsal of "The Widow Lincoln" at Ford's Theatre. This is a beautifully done new play that was commissioned for the 150th. It will be playing now through Feb. 22nd. I wish it were playing longer. I can promise that if you go to see this play, you will in no way, be disappointed.
01-26-2015, 10:30 AM
I plan on attending the performance in two weeks
01-26-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm due to see it in February--can't wait!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-28-2015, 04:41 PM
There are several photos with the article here.
01-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Roger, are productions at Ford"s ever filmed and released on DVD? I would love to see this. I feel disadvantaged living in CA so far from Lincoln history events.
01-29-2015, 02:34 PM
I agree Anita. I would like to see it also.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-29-2015, 03:20 PM
(01-29-2015 02:16 PM)Anita Wrote:  Roger, are productions at Ford"s ever filmed and released on DVD? I would love to see this. I feel disadvantaged living in CA so far from Lincoln history events.

Anita, I live in Los Angeles, and I agree with you 100%. It's one of the reasons that I am becoming more and more tempted to relocate back East.
01-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Can't express how disadvantaged I feel regarding living far away from anything Lincoln...and how I would love to see this!!! Mary would be pleased about the appearance of the actress who plays her.
01-30-2015, 09:32 PM
I doubt very much that they will release a DVD of "The Widow Lincoln", but it's a great ida that I will pass along next time I'm at Ford's. Often, plays do not translate well directly to the small screen, however, I think that this would do well, with just a few exceptions that really work beautifully in an intimate setting.
01-30-2015, 09:39 PM
(01-30-2015 09:32 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  I doubt very much that they will release a DVD of "The Widow Lincoln", but it's a great ida that I will pass along next time I'm at Ford's. Often, plays do not translate well directly to the small screen, however, I think that this would do well, with just a few exceptions that really work beautifully in an intimate setting.

Thanks Jim. Hope they give it some consideration.
01-31-2015, 10:08 AM
(01-29-2015 02:16 PM)Anita Wrote:  Roger, are productions at Ford"s ever filmed and released on DVD? I would love to see this. I feel disadvantaged living in CA so far from Lincoln history events.

Yesterday's Washington Post carried this article and photo.

Anita, I agree with Jim. I tried to find a DVD of another Ford's show, "The Heavens Are Hung in Black," but drew a blank.