Baptist Alley
12-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Baptist Alley
I’ve been sidetracked for a while and it has kept me from posting any new threads or responding to other threads on this terrific forum. I hope I’ll be able to spend more time here. I’m glad to be back.

Consequently, here goes. Attached is a picture of Baptist Alley behind Fords. My guess is that it is circa 1865 or 1866, but I have no way of knowing. The tree is bare and there is snow on the ground, so it is obviously winter. I have seen this picture at a few locations online, including Dave Taylor’s site.

I have a couple of questions. Are there other pictures available of Baptist Alley circa 1865? Also, I have labeled certain locations in the alley that I think would be accurate. Are they, in fact, accurate?

Any input and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Baptist Alley
I believe that particular photo appears in Oldroyd, therefore it is probably a turn of the century image; NOT an 1865 photo....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-17-2014, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 07:50 PM by Dave Taylor.)
This picture of Baptist Alley is post the 1893 collapse. You can read more here: http://boothiebarn.com/2013/12/12/the-re...s-theatre/

The photo was originally published in Clara Laughlin's 1909 book, The Death of Lincoln.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-17-2014, 07:33 PM
I don't think there was a photo of Baptist Alley taken until well after the assassination. I think this image was taken after the doorway was moved and windows were added, during the time it was used for office space and storage. I also think there seems to be wires running along the building(s) on the left.
12-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Jim,I see wires too,and what date do you think the photo is?
12-17-2014, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 07:58 PM by L Verge.)
Is it just me, or does it seem strange that no pictures were taken of the Alley in 1865? Would love to know what the sign reads that is hanging on the first dwelling or domicile to the left of the photo. How long were there alley dwellers in Baptist Alley? I think what appears to be wires are actually scratches on the negative or the photo???
12-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Laurie, you could be correct on the scratches, however it does look like a wire on the back of Ford's. I was told that the NPS was working on a history of the alley dwellers.
12-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Joan Chaconas and I were discussing the alley dwellers that were all over D.C. in the 19th century - and the colorful names of some of the alleys. There should be a book written on the whole subject. I suspect that many cities have much the same thing in their histories, but I wonder if D.C. had more because of the constant stream of contraband during the Civil War and freed men afterwards.
12-17-2014, 11:05 PM
(12-17-2014 07:56 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Is it just me, or does it seem strange that no pictures were taken of the Alley in 1865?

I'm sure it's just part of some grand government conspiracy. Cool

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Quote:Joan Chaconas and I were discussing the alley dwellers that were all over D.C. in the 19th century - and the colorful names of some of the alleys. There should be a book written on the whole subject. I suspect that many cities have much the same thing in their histories, but I wonder if D.C. had more because of the constant stream of contraband during the Civil War and freed men afterwards.

While conducting research on Annie Ward in Baltimore, I discovered some great material regarding the alleys and alley dwellers in Baltimore during the 1860s, including personal names of the residents as well as the colorful names of the alleys themselves. Same scenario here in Richmond. We had at one time, Pink Alley, Tulip Alley, Jassemine Alley (now Jassemine Street, etc.)

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-18-2014, 09:03 AM
A friend from boarding school was from Charleston and his family lived in Price's Alley. As I remember, it was a beautiful home, very large and on one floor. The alley was rather narrow, too narrow for cars. They had to park out on the street.
12-18-2014, 10:11 AM
I think that is why it is called an alley!They are very narrow,but my favorite alley is in Assi,Italy.
12-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Baptist Alley is one of my favorite Lincoln Assassination sites to visit in Washington D.C. I have taken the " Detective McDevitt History on Foot" tour given by Ford's. It is a fabulous tour and a great way to experience Baptist Alley. My favorite part of the tour is the walk down Baptist; the tour guide brings it to life. I've taken the tour twice, and would consider taking it again when I'm in D.C.

P.S. I cannot remember where, but I once read that Baptist Alley received its name since Ford's was originally a Baptist Church? Does anyone know if this is true?
12-19-2014, 06:05 PM
(12-19-2014 05:47 PM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  P.S. I cannot remember where, but I once read that Baptist Alley received its name since Ford's was originally a Baptist Church? Does anyone know if this is true?

Hi Paige. On the web page here there is a picture of Mike Kanazawich (a member here and author of a neat book titled Remarkable Stories of the Lincoln Assassination) standing there, and he writes, "It is named after the Baptist Church that was located in the structure that became Ford’s Theater."
12-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Having had some "City Planning" as part of my education, The ALLEY, A narrow passage way, that provided access to the rear of the home located on the main street. Your garage was located here, with the Chauffer living above. Also for garbage removal and other tasks not suited for the Main Street.
Gradually, other hired help in the Main house, had homes here. The houses may have been provided as part payment for services provided. etc.