2015 at Tudor Hall
12-05-2014, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 09:04 PM by L Verge.)
2015 at Tudor Hall
I received the current issue of Booth History Spotlight, the newsletter of the Junius B. Booth Society, today. They have announced the 2015 dates that Tudor Hall will be open for tours: April 12 & 26; May 17 & 31; June 14 & 28; July 12 & 26; August 9 & 23; September 13 & 27; October 11 & 25; and November 8. Tours are offered at 1 pm and 2 pm each day EXCEPT on days when a special program is planned. The program replaces the 2 pm tour.

The program dates and topics are: April 26, June 14, and July 12, John Wilkes Booth and Tudor Hall with Jim Garrett speaking - May 17 and May 31, The Loyal Servants of the Booths: Joe and Ann Hall with speaker Jim Chrismer - April 12 and September 13, Edwin and John Wilkes Booth: A House Divided with Dave Taylor.

Each tour and each program costs $5 cash.

I also received a heads-up on this one several months ago, but have kept quiet until plans were finalized: On May 9, 2015, the Booth Society will hold its first symposium from 8 am to 4:30 pm at the headquarters of the Harford County Historical Society. This is a fundraiser that will benefit both groups, with the Booth Society's proceeds going to their project to turn Tudor Hall into a public museum.

Speakers for this are all outstanding! Terry Alford on his upcoming Fortune's Fool; Daniel Watermeier on his bio of American Tragedian: The Life of Edwin Booth; Jim Garrett giving a brief introduction to Tudor Hall; Tom Bogar on his great book Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination; and David Keene talking on his book and continuing research on The Knights of the Golden Circle (of which JWB was a member).

The cost is a very reasonable $65/person. Tudor Hall will also be open for tours following the 4:30 closing of the symposium. Details: http://juniusbrutusbooth.org/

I would also recommend joining the Booth Society. It is a very reasonable $12 for an individual and $15 for a family. Students pay $5; contributing members $25; and benefactors are most welcome at $1000. There should be a membership form on the website.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 06:28 AM
RE: 2015 at Tudor Hall
(12-05-2014 09:01 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I also received a heads-up on this one several months ago, but have kept quiet until plans were finalized: On May 9, 2015, the Booth Society will hold its first symposium from 8 am to 4:30 pm at the headquarters of the Harford County Historical Society. This is a fundraiser that will benefit both groups, with the Booth Society's proceeds going to their project to turn Tudor Hall into a public museum.

Speakers for this are all outstanding! Terry Alford on his upcoming Fortune's Fool; Daniel Watermeier on his bio of American Tragedian: The Life of Edwin Booth; Jim Garrett giving a brief introduction to Tudor Hall; Tom Bogar on his great book Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination; and David Keene talking on his book and continuing research on The Knights of the Golden Circle (of which JWB was a member).

Many thanks to Tom Bogar for sending the following information:

[Image: bogar100.jpg]

[Image: bogar101.jpg]
01-15-2015, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 08:20 PM by Carolyn Mitchell.)
Thanks everyone for promoting the Tudor Hall Symposium. Here's the link to the updated flyer to download: http://static.ow.ly/docs/Symposium%20201...r_2V4d.pdf

You can also register online at http://www.harfordhistory.net/events.php and pay thru PayPal.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-18-2015, 09:30 AM
What a great honor for Jim to speak at Tudor Hall! Congratulation Jim!
01-18-2015, 02:05 PM
(01-15-2015 06:32 PM)Carolyn Mitchell Wrote:  Thanks everyone for promoting the Tudor Hall Symposium. Here's the link to the flyer to download: http://ow.ly/d/2SXE

Thanks for sending the full flyer, Carolyn. The only copy I had of the agenda was from the Society's newsletter, and it contains other articles not pertinent to the conference. I have contacted Tom Fink to see if y'all would like to send us copies of the full flyer to be placed in the Surratt Society Conference folders in March.
01-26-2015, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 08:21 PM by Carolyn Mitchell.)
Thanks everyone for promoting the Tudor Hall Symposium. Here's the link to the updated flyer to download: http://static.ow.ly/docs/Symposium%20201...r_2V4d.pdf

You can also register online at http://www.harfordhistory.net/events.php and pay thru PayPal.

(01-18-2015 02:05 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(01-15-2015 06:32 PM)Carolyn Mitchell Wrote:  Thanks everyone for promoting the Tudor Hall Symposium. Here's the link to the flyer to download: http://ow.ly/d/2SXE

Thanks for sending the full flyer, Carolyn. The only copy I had of the agenda was from the Society's newsletter, and it contains other articles not pertinent to the conference. I have contacted Tom Fink to see if y'all would like to send us copies of the full flyer to be placed in the Surratt Society Conference folders in March.
01-27-2015, 10:21 PM
(01-18-2015 09:30 AM)HerbS Wrote:  What a great honor for Jim to speak at Tudor Hall! Congratulation Jim!

Thank you Herb. Tudor Hall is one of those great gems that doesn't get noticed as much as it should. While development has encroached a bit around it, Tudor Hall is still beautifully buffered so that just a little bit of imagination allows you to go back 150 years. It has had some close calls over the years with becoming unavailable to the public, but Tom Fink and The Junius Brutus Booth Society has managed to keep it going. I feel honored to be have been able to speak there several times this past summer and look forward to many more opportunities to come.
01-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Thanks Jim! I was at Tudor Hall years ago with my deceased brother in law[realestate appraiser from Towson].It is then that the story of JWB carving his initials with a diamond from his father into a sidelight window.Is that a true story?
01-30-2015, 09:34 PM
The official comment from the JJB Society is yes.
01-31-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks Jim.Tom Fink called and said No way,just a legend! Now what should I think?
02-01-2015, 08:50 AM
(01-31-2015 08:14 AM)HerbS Wrote:  Thanks Jim.Tom Fink called and said No way,just a legend! Now what should I think?
I stand corrected. I spoke with Tom Fink, President of the Junius Brutus Booth Society and all round terrific guy. Has has found no evidence that the scratching in the window pane is from JWB. There was nothing from Ella Mahoney about the initials and that it's only been in recent history that stories have come forth.
02-01-2015, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 11:20 AM by HerbS.)
Thanks Jim,you are a 1st class guy!Too bad that my deceased brother in law believed the story!He then told it to me,probably thinking that he did me a favor.
02-01-2015, 02:45 PM
(02-01-2015 08:50 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  
(01-31-2015 08:14 AM)HerbS Wrote:  Thanks Jim.Tom Fink called and said No way,just a legend! Now what should I think?
I stand corrected. I spoke with Tom Fink, President of the Junius Brutus Booth Society and all round terrific guy. Has has found no evidence that the scratching in the window pane is from JWB. There was nothing from Ella Mahoney about the initials and that it's only been in recent history that stories have come forth.

Ella Mahoney lived in and loved Tudor Hall for years and wrote about it in her Sketches of Tudor Hall. Ironically, her grandson (or great-grandson), James Wollon, was the restoration architect for Surratt House in the 1960s and 70s. I once asked him about the scratch in the windowpane, and he also said it was of "recent vintage."

We had a similar situation at Surratt House. An upstairs bedroom has a window with "John" sketched into it. We found out that one of the men who worked on the restoration of the house had scratched it there. I am amazed that the ghost of Mary has left it there -- so many "Johns" (don't go that route) did her wrong over the years: John, Sr., John, Jr., John Wilkes Booth, John Lloyd, John Nothey.
02-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Hey,you never know what people will do! What a bad joke in people's minds,but times have changed,haven't they?
04-19-2015, 11:01 PM
If you plan to attend this great event and you are from out of town, the Red Roof Inn Aberdeen will be offering a 15% discount of their standard room rates for the weekend of the symposium. When calling to book your room please mention “Historical Society of Harford County” to receive this discount. Contact the Red Roof Inn Aberdeen at 410.273.7800. The inn is located at 988 Hospitality Way, Aberdeen Maryland, 21001.