The Guest-At the trial and hanging of the Lincoln conspirators
11-19-2014, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 08:54 AM by HerbS.)
The Guest-At the trial and hanging of the Lincoln conspirators
It has been suggested to me[Jim Garrett]-forum member- to post an outline of my talk at the National Women's Hall of Fame.My title will be"The Guest".Dr.Mary Walker MOH winner+Hall of Fame inductee from Oswego,NY.She was at the trial and hanging of the Lincoln Conspirators.1-background of Dr.Walker-2-how I came to see the evidence of her being at the trial and hanging.Provided by BettyO in"Alias Paine".Powell snickered upon her entrance to the trial[lady in pants].4-photo of her on her horse at the hanging.5-Questions.I am a firm believer of-hook them,before you pull them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2014, 08:41 AM
RE: The Guest-At the trial and hanging of the Lincoln conspirators
Any possibility of a video or transcript of some sort? Never heard about Powell snickering.
11-19-2014, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 08:55 AM by HerbS.)
Jim-Who knows,but I will ask.Powell was a very unique character!
11-19-2014, 12:15 PM
How bout a live Herb cam? We can view your talk and ask questions on line.
11-19-2014, 05:23 PM
I will ask them!
11-19-2014, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 06:43 PM by BettyO.)
I have the newspaper article regarding Walker's visit and the male prisoners' humorous reaction - particularly the two youngest, Herold and Powell....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Great-BettyO-Please send me the copies via snail mail.Herb Swingle-2007 Pebbleview Dr.-Victor,NY-14564-Thanks-I will pay for the postage.Herb
11-19-2014, 08:02 PM
(11-19-2014 06:41 PM)BettyO Wrote:  I have the newspaper article regarding Walker's visit and the male prisoners' humorous reaction - particularly the two youngest, Herold and Powell....
Snickers for knickers! Were the prisoners given a farewell drink before their long walk, and drop into eternity? That might explain the reactions. If I remember correctly, Charles Guiteau was absolutely snockered at his execution.
11-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Giteau took being a pain to the limit.He ticked Garfield's son off by being a pain and a pest.Garfield's son told Giteau to essentially bug off.Do you think that action prompted Giteau to do what he did,thus,that sort of explains the wacko actions of Booth?
11-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Since most of us won't be present to hear Herb speak, here's a link to get you up to speed on Dr. Walker in case you are not familiar with her. http://usoonpatrol.org/archives/2013/04/...n-of-honor

Herb, do you have a copy of the photo of her on horseback riding away from the execution? I'd love to see it.
11-20-2014, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 06:58 AM by HerbS.)
Laurie,I am now attempting to get the photo of her in the grounds of the execution in my posession.Thanks for the link,and I have seen that before.I also saw the actual MOH in Oswego,NY.
11-20-2014, 10:12 AM
I have always admired Dr. Walker for being her own person, but I especially admire the fact that she was in that fairly large group of Medal of Honor winners of the Civil War who were told to give their medals back - and she refused! You go, girl!
11-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Quote:Herb, do you have a copy of the photo of her on horseback riding away from the execution? I'd love to see it.

Would love to see that too - Herb! I'm sure that John Elliott would also love to see it....

I'll email you the article - let me find it -

Thanks!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-20-2014, 12:38 PM
The photo shows her [left side] on a horse at the execution.Laurie I agree with you about Dr.Mary Walker.Thanks-BettyO
11-20-2014, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 12:45 PM by L Verge.)
(11-20-2014 12:38 PM)HerbS Wrote:  The photo shows her [left side] on a horse at the execution.Laurie I agree with you about Dr.Mary Walker.Thanks-BettyO

I assume that this photo is rare and that she is not in the standard photos of the execution that we are familiar with? For a long time, some of us thought that she was the lone figure near the juncture of the wall and the building in those standard photos, but Barry's and John's photo work proved otherwise.

Getting back to Jim Woodall's teasers about the guest at the trial and execution: We've established who the reporter was, but we haven't tied him to a conspirator. Bettie Trindal knew the answer.