John Wilkes Booth marker stolen?
10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
John Wilkes Booth marker stolen?
Laurie just sent these two photos along with the following message:

"It appears that a bit of history has been stolen during an early Halloween raid. The only remaining reminder of the Garrett Farm and the death of Booth was a historical marker on the northbound lanes of Route 301. The first photo shows the sign several weeks ago; the “spooky” one shows it as it now appears – a sign post with a white flag at the top. I’m putting the underground to work on this one."

[Image: boothsign100.jpg]

[Image: boothsign101.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2014, 02:15 PM
RE: John Wilkes Booth marker stolen?
I have already gotten in touch with the "Powers that Be" regarding this - and let me just say that the contact person at VHS is the daughter of a highly respected historian - so she will, I'm sure has a vested interest in this affair and will get to the bottom of it -

This is so sad -- I hope they are tracked down and prosecuted!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-30-2014, 05:41 PM
(10-30-2014 02:15 PM)BettyO Wrote:  I have already gotten in touch with the "Powers that Be" regarding this - and let me just say that the contact person at VHS is the daughter of a highly respected historian - so she will, I'm sure has a vested interest in this affair and will get to the bottom of it -

This is so sad -- I hope they are tracked down and prosecuted!

Many years ago, before Surratt House was restored, a similar sign stood beside the road in front of the then-boarded up house. One day, the sign disappeared. Only the post remained.

Sometime in the 1980s, we were having a fresh coat of paint put on the exterior of the house; and one of the painters "knew" what had happened. Supposedly, he was not in on the heist, but he knew where our sign had ended up.

For almost a week, several young men who had gone to college in Chicago would go to the sign at night, spray WD-40 on it and try to wiggle it loose from the pole. It finally worked, and they sent it (or took it - two stories) to a favorite bar in Chicago that collected unusual signs and hung them on the walls.

I have often referred to the Surratt House having two guardian angels, James O. Hall and John C. Brennan. The latter corresponded with half the world! At that time, the U.S. Senator from Illinois Charles (again, fill in the blank - his daughter married Sen. Rockefeller...) was one of Mr. Brennan's pen pals. JCB contacted the Senator, who sent in Illinois State Troopers to retrieve the sign from the bar's wall, and had it shipped back to us.

With a little touch-up of paint, a move to our herb garden inside the fence, a pole stuck in about three feet of cement, and a sign firmly secured to the top, our sign has been happily at home ever since.
10-30-2014, 06:15 PM
(10-30-2014 05:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  At that time, the U.S. Senator from Illinois Charles (again, fill in the blank - his daughter married Sen. Rockefeller...) was one of Mr. Brennan's pen pals.

I was an Illinois resident at that time. It was Charles Percy.
10-30-2014, 07:51 PM
(10-30-2014 06:15 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(10-30-2014 05:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  At that time, the U.S. Senator from Illinois Charles (again, fill in the blank - his daughter married Sen. Rockefeller...) was one of Mr. Brennan's pen pals.

I was an Illinois resident at that time. It was Charles Percy.

Thanks, Roger. It helps to have a back-up brain that works.
10-30-2014, 09:55 PM
[I have often referred to the Surratt House having two guardian angels, James O. Hall and John C. Brennan. The latter corresponded with half the world! At that time, the U.S. Senator from Illinois Charles (again, fill in the blank - his daughter married Sen. Rockefeller...) was one of Mr. Brennan's pen pals. JCB contacted the Senator, who sent in Illinois State Troopers to retrieve the sign from the bar's wall, and had it shipped back to us.]//quote

HA!! I love that...talk about using one's clout!!Tongue
11-01-2014, 10:58 AM
The Booth sign was stolen sometime within the past few weeks because it was still intact when the Surratt Booth Tour was on the road on October 6. I first heard of it this week when a truck driver contacted me to report it missing. His words to me were, "I'm just a truck driver, but I love history." The old school teacher in me almost cried when I heard those words. I assured him that a great portion of everyone's lives in America depends on truck drivers and that it was wonderful that he loved history.

Shortly thereafter, I heard from Dave Taylor that he had been notified by a friend from Ft. A.P. Hill about the theft. Betty O. happened to know that the lady in charge of such signs for the State of Virginia is none other than Jennifer Loux, daughter of Art Loux. Jennifer has contacted us with some details regarding getting a replacement sign. It's not cheap - but not outlandishly expensive either. Of course, like everything else in government, there are no funds for historical work such as this.

I have emailed the executive board of the Surratt Society to see if they want to undertake another fundraising campaign to secure funds for replacing the sign. I'll keep you posted - and I'll keep nagging you! With the 150th anniversary of the assassination approaching in less than six months, we need to get to work quickly. This fundraiser would be a cheapy considering what we've raised for three grave markers in the past -- Ned Spangler, Elizabeth Keckly, and Frederick Aiken.
11-01-2014, 09:22 PM
How about someone on the forum who is on Facebook posting that the sign was stolen and asking for info? Someone "out there" knows about this.
11-03-2014, 03:24 PM
I am not on Facebook but I think that's a GREAT idea, Anita!
11-03-2014, 03:51 PM
(11-03-2014 03:24 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I am not on Facebook but I think that's a GREAT idea, Anita!

Thanks Toia. I figured maybe someone posted a selfie standing next to the sign.
11-03-2014, 07:31 PM
It absolutely amazes me that someone took the time and energy to get that sign off the pole! I have dealt with two such signs in the past, and they are very heavy.

Now for the good news. The executive board of the Surratt Society has agreed to start a fundraising campaign to raise the approximately $1800 needed to replace the sign. I have asked Dave Taylor to work with Jennifer Loux (Art's daughter and staff person in Virginia who deals with such matters) to create new text and to perhaps select a better location for it. If we begin now, we can have an unveiling in time for the April anniversary.

Those who wish to contribute may send a check or money order payable to The Surratt Society at 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton, MD 20735. On the memo line at the bottom of your check, please write "Booth Marker." Our treasurer is starting a separate spreadsheet for this project. Donations of $50 or more will be acknowledged by me. The December President's Message in the Surratt Courier will announce this project also.

BTW: Months ago, Scott Schroeder of this forum (STS Lincolnite) advised the Surratt Society of a need for donations towards the LIncoln funeral train project. We just received a very nice letter acknowledging our $500 donation. We're here to keep history alive - either at the Surratt House Museum or with projects related to that history.
11-07-2014, 04:42 PM
I am happy to report that the fundraising project to replace the stolen historical marker at the Garrett site is on its way with $150 already donated. Dave Taylor and Jennifer Loux are also well at work on creating better text for the new sign and meeting with Virginia officials to determine proper placement for maximum viewing.

If you care to donate to this project, make checks or money orders payable to "Surratt Society" and mail to 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton, MD 20735. Write "Garrett Marker" on the check's memo line so that our treasurer will know which spreadsheet to place it under.
11-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Laurie, Can they make the new sign more difficult to steal ? Do you take credit cards?
11-26-2014, 02:14 PM
(11-07-2014 09:16 PM)Anita Wrote:  Laurie, Can they make the new sign more difficult to steal ? Do you take credit cards?

I am happy to report that Jennifer Loux has worked with Dave Taylor and KateH to revise the text for a new sign to mark the Garrett Farm site. It is now in the hands of the State of Virginia department that handles such markers.

I am further pleased to say that the donations being made to the Garrett Marker Fund with the Surratt Society have now reached $275. That still leaves about $1400 to go.

Unfortunately, the Society does not have access to the credit card accounts that are registered to the museum, so checks, cash, or money orders are the rule of the day. Payable to "Surratt Society" with Garrett Fund in memo line. Mail to the Society at 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton, MD 20735.
12-02-2014, 03:24 PM
We need just $500 more dollars to reach our goal. The December Courier's President's Message announced our project to replace the Garrett marker with an updated text. Within one week, the pot went from $275 to $1125, with one Surratt Society member sending a check for $500.

I would also like to publicly thank Kathy Loux, the widow of our dear Art, who sent a sizeable amount in memory of Art because she knew "he would want this done." She also sent thanks to all the Boothies for being such good friends to Art. We all know that it was easy to be a good friend to Art because he was always a good friend back...

Just a note to say that, if we go over the goal in funds, there is a historic house that is going to need some help over the next few years. We can certainly funnel anything extra into the Rich Hill restoration fund.