The Odd Couple Who Hanged Mary Surratt
10-21-2014, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 06:53 AM by Gene C.)
The Odd Couple Who Hanged Mary Surratt
Written by Charles Bauer in 1989. The book is mainly about Jim Lane (Senator from Kansas) and Preston King (President Johnson's chief of staff, early in his administration) According to the book, both men were strongly responsible for keeping Anna Surratt away from President Johnson as she tried to appeal to him to overturn her mother's death sentence. Within a year, both men would commit suicide. The author tries to connect the two events, but doesn't do a very good job, in my opinion. A fairly interesting book, but not a "must have".
http://www.amazon.com/odd-couple-hanged-...ry+surratt

At the end of the book is a separate section (32 pages) about Adalbert Volck, a highly talented silversmith and artist, and "patron saint of the Copperheads". You will recognize many of his caricatures and political cartoons. I found this to be the best part of the book.
https://www.google.com/search?q=adalbert...CAcQ_AUoAg
and ... http://collections.digitalmaryland.org/c...ction/scav

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2014, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 08:05 AM by BettyO.)
RE: The Odd Couple Who Hanged Mary Surratt
Oh no....one of good ol' Charlie Baurer's books..... he used to chase us Surratt girls down at every Civil War Relic show we used to go to - trying to get us to buy his books. We'd avoid him like an Ebolia epidemic! He always did a "hard sell" for his vanity press books - most of which were on way off research and topics (one of the worst was where he supposes that JWB was sired by Edgar Allen Poe!) Somehow the title of this one always conjured up horrifying images of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matheau in 19th Century dress!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Amen, Sister Betty! Just the memory of Mr. Bauer sends chills down my spine.
10-21-2014, 10:40 PM
(10-21-2014 08:03 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Oh no....one of good ol' Charlie Baurer's books..... he used to chase us Surratt girls down at every Civil War Relic show we used to go to - trying to get us to buy his books. We'd avoid him like an Ebolia epidemic! He always did a "hard sell" for his vanity press books - most of which were on way off research and topics (one of the worst was where he supposes that JWB was sired by Edgar Allen Poe!) Somehow the title of this one always conjured up horrifying
images of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matheau in 19th Century dress!
You owe me a new keyboard, Ms. Ownsby. I'll forward my address shortly.
10-22-2014, 05:32 AM
(10-21-2014 08:03 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Oh no....one of good ol' Charlie Baurer's books

I own one book by Charlie Bauer, and it is signed by the author. Does this mean it's worth a lot?

[Image: bauersignature1.jpg]
10-22-2014, 06:17 AM
Knowing, Charlie, Roger - any book NOT signed by Mr. Bauer would probably be worth more.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Thanks, Betty. I was worried about that possibility...
10-22-2014, 07:43 AM
OMG, Roger..... that book was owned by Bruce Feinberg! Someday, I'll tell you a personal story about Mr. Feinberg!!

10-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Quite a few of us ladies at Surratt House have stories about Mr. Feinberg... Great artist and loves the Civil War, however.