Lincoln's Blood
10-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Lincoln's Blood
Bet that title got your attention! I just received a poster publicizing a theater production coming to the Syracuse, New York, area in November. The Covey Theatre Company is presenting "Lincoln's Blood" at the Oncenter Civic Center Theaters: Bevard Studio (no street address given).

Performances will be on November 1 & 7 at 8 pm and November 2 & 8 at 2 pm. Tickets: 315-420-3729 or visit thecoveytheatrecompany.com

The play is by Garrett A. Heater, but no description is given except "A Night of terror. A lifetime of destruction. Judging by the suggestive graphic on the poster, I'm guessing that it has to do with Booth and Ella Starr - at least at some point.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 04:43 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Lincoln's Blood
Here is the poster from the theaters web site, and some info for coming attractions. Looks interesting
My guess is the poster depicts Henry & Clara

http://thecoveytheatrecompany.com/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-17-2014, 05:56 PM
By Jove! I think you are correct Dr. Watson. And I think Henry and Clara would be very pleased to be portrayed by such good-looking actors. I'd love to see this - and would "die" to see the one on Lizzie Borden. What a neat idea to stage Lizzie in a historic house and have the various acts take place in numerous rooms. Of course, those of you who have seen Lizzie's home in Fall River, MA, know that it is not quite a mansion.
10-17-2014, 08:56 PM
I would LOVE to see both of these..... road trip, anyone?!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-27-2014, 04:38 PM
I would like to welcome our latest member, Maya Dwyer, to the forum. Because of the issues currently bugging the forum she was not able to log in and make her first post, so I told her I would try to post her message. She sent me her post via email, and here it is:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello,

My name is Maya Dwyer. I am playing Clara Rathbone Harris in the world premiere of Lincoln's Blood with The Covey Theatre Company of Syracuse, NY. Our director Garrett Heater sent us a link to this forum, as he ran across it online a couple days ago, and we are SO excited to hear about your enthusiasm regarding the show!! It's been a very exciting rehearsal process and we cannot wait to debut it this Saturday night. This play will be especially interesting to historians, teachers, and people like you who are fascinated by the strange and incredible stories surrounding the assassination.

On a personal note, I ran across this forum a while ago as I was doing some character research. I am amazed by the depth and breadth of knowledge shared between you on this page. It is quite impressive and has been a great resource to me!

If you have any questions about the production, please feel free to ask! I am happy to answer, but I can always direct questions to other cast members or our director. On behalf of everyone at The Covey Theatre Company, we hope you will consider attending this show! We really enjoy discussing the characters and details of these events, and would love to meet you all in person to hear your thoughts.

Check out our facebook page for updates as we move into production week. This weekend we did a photoshoot at William Seward's house in Auburn, NY, and we have some awesome promo photos being released soon!

Best wishes,

Maya
10-27-2014, 05:55 PM
(10-27-2014 04:38 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I would like to welcome our latest member, Maya Dwyer, to the forum. Because of the issues currently bugging the forum she was not able to log in and make her first post, so I told her I would try to post her message. She sent me her post via email, and here it is:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello,

My name is Maya Dwyer. I am playing Clara Rathbone Harris in the world premiere of Lincoln's Blood with The Covey Theatre Company of Syracuse, NY. Our director Garrett Heater sent us a link to this forum, as he ran across it online a couple days ago, and we are SO excited to hear about your enthusiasm regarding the show!! It's been a very exciting rehearsal process and we cannot wait to debut it this Saturday night. This play will be especially interesting to historians, teachers, and people like you who are fascinated by the strange and incredible stories surrounding the assassination.

On a personal note, I ran across this forum a while ago as I was doing some character research. I am amazed by the depth and breadth of knowledge shared between you on this page. It is quite impressive and has been a great resource to me!

If you have any questions about the production, please feel free to ask! I am happy to answer, but I can always direct questions to other cast members or our director. On behalf of everyone at The Covey Theatre Company, we hope you will consider attending this show! We really enjoy discussing the characters and details of these events, and would love to meet you all in person to hear your thoughts.

Check out our facebook page for updates as we move into production week. This weekend we did a photoshoot at William Seward's house in Auburn, NY, and we have some awesome promo photos being released soon!

Best wishes,

Maya

Welcome, Maya, it's very nice to have you on board. Best wishes for a very successful premiere this Saturday - and hopefully an extended run and performances in other cities?
10-27-2014, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 06:09 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Welcome - and "ToiToiToi" for Saturday! May I ask - how long did you take (or need) research the character (Clara) you are playing, and how long did the entire process take to realize this play?

"to research" (sorry, post editing currently doesn't work...)
10-27-2014, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 11:19 PM by mayajd.)
Hello! Thank you for the warm welcome Smile

It was July of 2013 when Garrett offered me the role of Clara. I knew nothing of the Rathbones, so I did some research before I committed. I was so shocked to find out about what happened to them! It sounded like it would be a challenging and exciting experience, and, having worked with Garrett before, I knew the writing and direction would both be excellent, so I eagerly accepted!

The script was completed late this past summer--just after we returned from performing Lizzie Borden in NYC for the International Fringe Festival, and right as we were jumping into rehearsals for the production of Lizzie Borden set in the Barnes-Hiscock Mansion (which was a very different experience-extremely eerie and cool!!). Our rehearsals for Lincoln began just as we started performances of mansion Lizzie. It was a whirlwind month! We have since been rehearsing pretty much every weeknight. We added hoop skirts last week (a challenge!) and moved out of our rehearsal space and into the theater today.

I started really seriously researching around July--not only about Clara and Henry's life together, but about women in the mid-1800s, Civil War life, etc. It was just such a different world. That's what is so amazing about period dramas--you get to time travel! The costumes, the language of the script, the onstage interactions...Garrett pays so much attention to accuracy and detail in every aspect of the production that everything feels quite authentic.

Our photos from the William Seward house have been published! I attached a sneak peek-photo credit to the amazing Amelia Beamish! Smile Can you name all the characters?

Actually, I'm not sure where my attachment went...so hold that thought.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-28-2014, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 05:28 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thank you, Maya, for your detailed reply, this is so interesting to me to learn - how things work in this business in the USA as well as how for this particular play and topic!! I would love to see this!!! Your company's website (Gene's link above) announces the play for Nov.1 - Nov.8, and Laurie mentioned four dates - does this actually mean there are only these few performances scheduled?? Btw, how many seats does your theater have?
Assuming it is you as Clara in your attachment - it's a beautiful dress you wear (beautiful appearance at all)!
As for your "trivia question" - although the photo was taken at the Sewards' house, I would guess the characters are Mary Surratt, Clara, Henry, (?) (JWB? Or maybe Robert Lincoln?), Mary T. Lincoln and Elizabeth Keckley?
10-28-2014, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 08:07 AM by BettyO.)
Welcome Maya!

I would LOVE to see the production - unfortunately, I'm in the far South and can't get up there....

Is there a chance that the play would be videotaped? I would certainly buy a copy!

Thanks for posting the wonderful photo - what a grand cast and setting! Beautiful costumes, hair, makeup, etc. And yes, that is the Seward House - there are the paintings of the "Governor" and Mrs. Seward on the wall behind the cast -

Again, you all look wonderful! Please let us know if we can help in any way -

I agree with Eva - I thought Mary Surratt, Clara, Henry, JWB, Mary Lincoln and Mrs. Keckley -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Maya, I'm curious about one thing. In the play about Lizzie, did she do it?

I'm in the same situation as Betty, I live to far away to see you in the play, but would love to see the production.
And I agree with Laurie in post #3.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Maya, I second Gene. I am very curious about Lizzie.
10-28-2014, 11:41 AM
I am definitely thinking videotape - and 2016 Surratt conference. How long is the production?

BTW: The costuming is fantastic! And, the character resemblances of the actors are also good. Nothing ruins a historical production faster for me than having actors and actresses who look nothing like the subjects they are portraying.
10-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Agreed, Laurie!

10-28-2014, 02:49 PM
I 100% agree with Betty and Laurie- it's a wonderful photo, a grand setting, and the costumes, hair, makeup, etc. are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

May I kindly add another question? I might be a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm trying to figure out - why the Sewards' house, is there any (fictive) link (created) in the play (since AFAIK the only of these persons having ever been there was Mary Lincoln in 1861)? (Or simply to have contemporary setting in a Lincoln - related place?)