JWB's inner anger
10-16-2014, 02:43 PM
JWB's inner anger
I've finally figured out the source of Wilkes' rage: premature balding! This picture was posted on twitter and, as you can see, it shows that JWB was sporting a bald spot. For someone so young and vain, this probably is what put him over the edge. haha.

Heath

Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2014, 06:04 PM
RE: JWB's inner anger
Hmmmm - looks like JWB could have used this neat little invention to cure his bald spot....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
10-16-2014, 06:54 PM
(10-16-2014 06:04 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Hmmmm - looks like JWB could have used this neat little invention to cure his bald spot....
I tried the Hygienic Vacuum Cp, and as you might figure......the results weren't as advertised. I returned it after the free trial. Tongue
10-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Jim, maybe a more modern version would work for you. This is the one doctors not only endorse but also buy for themselves. This means it must work. Plus the application blank, testimonials, and free booklet on "Hair" come in a plain envelope.

[Image: mxhAJSR5BEcOZfxP4Cdvedg.jpg]
10-17-2014, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 09:35 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
That looks scary, Roger!!! It looks as if it didn't only draw the blood to the hair roots but also anything else out of your head...
10-17-2014, 03:11 PM
(10-17-2014 09:33 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  That looks scary, Roger!!! It looks as if it didn't only draw the blood to the hair roots but also anything else out of your head...

If it draws everything out of your head, you won't have the sense to send it back - then you would pay for it.
10-17-2014, 08:58 PM
I shared my thoughts with Heath in an email, but I thought I'd put them here as well.

I don't think that the picture necessarily shows Booth sporting a bald spot but, instead I think it is merely the studio lights reflecting off of Booth's hair. Here's a larger version to look at.

[Image: john-wilkes-booth-gutman-13.jpg]

It's possible this is the beginning of a bald spot, but I think it's more a trick of the lights.

That being said, I think many of Booth's photographs make it appear as if he had a receding hairline. This seems particularly true when you look at how far back the part in his hair went:

[Image: john-wilkes-booth-gutman-20.jpg]

[Image: john-wilkes-booth-gutman-30.jpg]

If you look at this chart which documents the steps of male baldness I think Booth, was definitely showing signs that he was in step 2 or 3 near the end of his life.

[Image: norwood_fig1.gif]

Notice how these pictures of Booth really demonstrate how he was developing that "M" shape pattern at the front of his hairline:

[Image: john-wilkes-booth-nongutman-3.jpg]

[Image: john-wilkes-booth-nongutman-61.jpg]

It may be helpful to see that it was probably hereditary. John Wilkes' brother Junius clearly had a receding hairline as well: http://boothiebarn.com/picture-galleries...ly/jbb-jr/

I think Booth did have a receding hairline and, as Heath points out, that could have had a deep impact on his self image.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2014, 09:07 PM
I think you are perfectly right, Dave. The heavy pomades and hair oils used in the Victorian era gave a definite glossy sheen to a gentleman's (and a lady's as well!) hair....

I, too have noticed Booth's receding hairline in his various photos - although 25-26 years old is mighty young to be going bald! Somehow, I can't see JWB with a "Trump comb over" or wearing a "rug".....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-18-2014, 05:18 AM
Here's another company's device to cure hair loss. This one can be rented for a very reasonable fee considering how good you will look after using it. Be sure to include Dept. B-10 in your application.

[Image: hl-xervac.jpg]
10-18-2014, 06:44 AM
I personally use Ron Popeel's hair in a can. Just spray it on, wait 10 minutes and your good to go. I think Dave has put way too much research into this matter.
10-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Jim, your use of a fast-growing product sounds like Chia Pet to me!

I don't know the scientific "proof" in this, but I was once told that the constant wearing of hats can cause hair loss. My dad was military and had a heavy head of hair, but he first started losing it in the crown of his head where his military cap always was right on top of his hair. I know that women were advised against wearing wigs constantly back in the 1960s and 70s when they were a popular fashion because the wigs supposedly hurt their hair.
10-18-2014, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2014 04:43 PM by BettyO.)
Laurie - I have always heard the very same thing regarding hats and wigs....

Good thing that Hartranft rescinded the order of hooding when he did - the conspirators could have eventually had bare noggins!

10-19-2014, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 07:42 PM by wpbinzel.)
I don't know the scientific "proof" in this, but I was once told that the constant wearing of hats can cause hair loss. My dad was military and had a heavy head of hair, but he first started losing it in the crown of his head where his military cap always was right on top of his hair. I know that women were advised against wearing wigs constantly back in the 1960s and 70s when they were a popular fashion because the wigs supposedly hurt their hair.
[/quote]

Um, no. As one who has been folliclally-challenged since my late-20's, I can attest that hats have nothing to do with it. The real secret is: As a child, never let your mother brush your hair when she is mad at your father. (Genetics have a lot to do with it, especially on the maternal side. Does anyone know if Mary Ann Holmes' father was bald, especially at an early age? If so, JW Booth had a 50-50 chance of losing his hair.)
10-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Quote:Genetics have a lot to do with it, especially on the maternal side.

Lew Powell's older brother George was also bald later in life - when young, he had a beautiful thick head of dark hair like Lew.... so it's my guess that Lew Powell, had he lived to be an elderly gentleman, would also have been "follically challenged"... (Love the term!)Big Grin

10-21-2014, 10:36 PM
I realize that I've posted this repeatedly, but at the risk of sounding like a vapid airhead it bears repeating....JWB was simply beautiful to look at.Undecided

Even today he would turn heads.