Hodgenville & Bardstown, Kentucky
09-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Hodgenville & Bardstown, Kentucky
I'm going to Louisville later this week and thought I might take a frolic and detour to see the Lincoln sites at Hodgenville. Is it worth the trip? Will there be book-buying opportunities?

Also, has anyone been to the Civil War museum at Bardstown?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2014 04:53 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Hodgenville & Bardstown, Kentucky
the Bardstown Museum is real nice. I went about 5 years ago. they used to have a seperate museum on Women in the Civil War, which was interesting too.

see http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...-1806.html
Other - Linoln Birthplace National Historic Park

the Lincoln Musuem on the square in Hogenville has a nice book store, and art gallery. The sun cast quite a glare on the statues on the square, so try to avoid taking photos at noon time. There was another book store across from the museum that was OK, and a restaurant/sandwich shop two or three doors down that the locals recommended, but it was closed when I was there.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
09-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks! Looking forward to it.
09-30-2014, 01:32 AM
I would like to second what Gene said about the museum in Hodgenville - the bookstore is really good; I think I spend more time there than in the actual museum. The statues outside are kept really nice by the local Rotary Club and are a joy to look at.
Both, the birthplace and the Knob Creek place are great for taking a hike when the weather is good - especially at Knob Creek there are hiking paths that can keep you busy for several hours.
09-30-2014, 09:19 AM
(09-30-2014 01:32 AM)Angela Wrote:  I would like to second what Gene said about the museum in Hodgenville - the bookstore is really good; I think I spend more time there than in the actual museum.

That's enough to tempt me. Thanks!
10-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Ah Yes Kentucky!-the land of fast and beautiful horses!
10-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Besides- any true fan of Lincoln would want to visit his birthplace at least once - just to say that you have been there.

Bill Nash
10-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Yes-I agree with you 100%.
10-11-2014, 08:33 PM
The actual birthplace site is outside of the town. It is really a beautiful park-and the tiny stream that serviced the Lincoln family still runs.

Bill Nash
10-12-2014, 09:11 AM
(10-11-2014 08:33 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  The actual birthplace site is outside of the town. It is really a beautiful park-and the tiny stream that serviced the Lincoln family still runs.

We went! It was the stream that most impressed my husband. We went into the town as well, but didn't stay long because there was a street fair going on in the town and a faction in the car that wanted to go to one of the bourbon factories in Bardstown.