The Lincoln-Rathbone connection
09-22-2014, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 04:52 PM by loetar44.)
The Lincoln-Rathbone connection
Just read an article in “The Rathbun-Rathbone-Rathburn Family Historian. Volume One • Number Four• October 1981” in which the story (p.52 to p.56) of four members of the Rathbone family, who had a direct role in the life-and death of Abraham Lincoln: Mrs. Thomas Wells Rathbone who, was the midwife who brought Lincoln into the world; Gideon Rathbone, who was Lincoln's long-time neighbor and schoolmate, whose father Edmund helped Lincoln find his first job; William P. Rathbone who was arrested on his honeymoon because of his resemblance to John Wilkes Booth, and of course Henry R. Rathbone who was at Lincoln’s side when he was assassinated. I don’t know all is accurate, but I recommend reading. The article has some nice photo’s of Henry in 1871.

Here is the link:

http://www.michaelrathbun.org/01-1981/01-004.pdf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2014, 06:18 PM
RE: The Lincoln-Rathbone connection
I remember corresponding with Frank Rathbun, who I believe was the first editor of this family newsletter.
09-28-2014, 10:29 PM
RE: The Lincoln-Rathbone connection
Interesting that a Rathbone was there at the beginning of Lincoln's life and another at the end of it. I never knew that strange connection existed. Thanks for this Kees.