Where's Crook when you need him?
09-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Wink Where's Crook when you need him?
It's hard to believe the North Portico front door of the White House is left unlocked.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...0-04-59-08
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2014, 12:40 PM
RE: Where's Crook when you need him?
This is such a scary story...simply unbelievable!
Find all posts by this user
09-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Sounds like it was Parker!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-20-2014, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 02:56 PM by wsanto.)
(09-20-2014 11:09 AM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  It's hard to believe the North Portico front door of the White House is left unlocked.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...0-04-59-08

It is where you exit the White House Tour.

And it is considered a pretty safe neighborhood.

((( | '€ :} |###] -- }: {/ ]
09-20-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm not surprised the door is unlocked, I'm surprised someone could get as far as he did.
09-20-2014, 06:41 PM
That was my thought also, Jim. I am sure that there are security cameras covering every square inch of that fence and the grounds, and I believe that men are stationed on the roof at all times. One thing bothers me: This gentleman made his run for it at nearly the same time that Obama and the girls were heading to Marine One. It was almost as if he knew about the flight and that the security force would be concentrated around that helicopter until it took off - leaving his point of entry less protected.
09-20-2014, 08:16 PM
A far cry from when visitors used to line up outside of Lincoln's office in the White House. There was barely any security then- a soldier or two standing guard?

Bill Nash
09-20-2014, 08:50 PM
I believe that even during the Cleveland administration people could come up to the front door of the White House and ask for an audience with the President. Security was a little bit tougher than it was in Lincoln's day but the President was still approachable.

Also, there were the two Puerto Rican Nationalists that fired shots outside of the Blair house where President Truman was staying while the White House was undergoing renovations. One of the would be assassins almost made it into the house and was only a few feet from Truman who went to the window to see what all the shooting was about.

Craig
09-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Craig: I didn't know about the Truman incident- good story.

Bill Nash
09-20-2014, 11:56 PM
In 1985, my twelve-year-old daughter wanted her birthday celebration to be as a Washington tourist. So, off I went with six giggling pre-teens for a day of museums from Air & Space near the Capitol, up the Mall to the White House. The visitors' line for the White House tour had already closed, but after walking all day for what seemed at least ten miles, I was not going to be deterred. We just patiently waited until the security people walked away from the line, and we moved up the block a little and snuck into the line where some people were busy chatting and not paying attention. I had learned a few tricks from my 8th graders when I used to teach!

Anyhow, it was so easy to get into the White House for a tour in those days. Even at Christmas, we used to take a busload from Surratt House each year to see the decorated interior. It breaks my heart now that the American public is being cheated out of visiting our national home because of the changes in our society.
09-21-2014, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 08:02 AM by Gene C.)
The more things change, the more they stay the same
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/...e-jackson/

"What has been will be again,
What has been done will be done again;
There is nothing new under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 1:9

Theme of this book is to show people spend to much of their time and efforts pursuing the wrong things in life.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-21-2014, 08:28 AM
(09-20-2014 06:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  That was my thought also, Jim. I am sure that there are security cameras covering every square inch of that fence and the grounds, and I believe that men are stationed on the roof at all times. One thing bothers me: This gentleman made his run for it at nearly the same time that Obama and the girls were heading to Marine One. It was almost as if he knew about the flight and that the security force would be concentrated around that helicopter until it took off - leaving his point of entry less protected.

My wife, the smart one in the household thought that since the first family was not in the White House, did the Secret Service let him get that far? Maybe for an opportunity to test the inner defense?

I live between Washington and Camp David and have seen the three Marine helicopters flying up to Camp David. In almost 28 years, I've never seen them flying back.
09-21-2014, 03:57 PM
(09-21-2014 08:01 AM)Gene C Wrote:  The more things change, the more they stay the same
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/...e-jackson/

"What has been will be again,
What has been done will be done again;
There is nothing new under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 1:9

Theme of this book is to show people spend to much of their time and efforts pursuing the wrong things in life.

Yes, President Jackson might had been the first assassinated president. It was called a miracle that both weapons failed in the attempt. Jackson, being the fellow that he was, proceeded to cane the man. Interesting to note that David Crockett- a political enemy of Jackson- was there to assist in subduing the would-be assassin.

Bill Nash