09-17-2014, 08:52 PM
"Mrs. Lincoln's Favorite Things" Evening Tour
This event is taking place at The Mary Todd Lincoln House. See
http://www.mtlhouse.org/events.html

"Mrs. Lincoln's Favorite Things " Evening Tour
Saturday, December 13, 2014
5PM, 6PM, and 7PM
$15 individuals, $13 group rate (4+); $10 members

Celebrate Mrs. Lincoln’s 196th birthday with anl evening tour Mrs. Lincoln’s Favorite Things. This light-hearted, guided tour uses the museum’s collection to explore her varied tastes-- from fashion to French. Light refreshments, including her famous white cake, complete the tour.

Reservations required. Admission $15 individuals, $13 per person with a group of four or more, and $10 per person for members and their guests. Recommended for ages 12 and up. Call 859-233-9999 for reservations
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2014, 04:55 AM
RE: "Mrs. Lincoln's Favorite Things" Evening Tour
Anita, many thanks for posting this. I see so many references to Mary Lincoln and her "famous white cake." Does anyone know if this is purely legend or is this historical truth?
09-18-2014, 06:57 PM
I guess the info and comment Donna posted here is the maximum possible to find out on this:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...a#pid12226
01-16-2015, 03:43 PM
What I find most interesting about the cake's legend, is that the Mary Todd Lincoln House continues the myth by serving the Vanilla Almond Cake at their functions and they say it was Mary's favorite. The Pecan Cake is much more flavorful - has the name "Todd" associated with it -- and according to legend, was created in their kitchen.
01-17-2015, 01:23 AM
The story is that the almond cake was served to Abraham Lincoln during his courtship of Mary Todd, and that it was his favorite.

That tour sounds like heaven!Tongue
01-17-2015, 06:44 AM
I've never been to the Mary Todd House. It's on my bucket list!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2015, 11:50 AM
(01-17-2015 01:23 AM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  The story is that the almond cake was served to Abraham Lincoln during his courtship of Mary Todd, and that it was his favorite.

The key word here is "story." Katherine Helm's book tells the story of Mary serving a piece of cake to Lincoln while they were courting, but she made no mention as to what type of cake it was - nor did she say it was his favorite.
In a 1921 magazine article about Kentucky cooking, the "favorite cake" was identified as the Pecan Cake. It was in the 1950's that a historian said it was the Almond cake -- and the story has been the Almond Cake ever since. I still believe that Lincoln was a gracious cake eater and his favorite cake was the last piece he had been served. We also know he enjoyed a good piece of Lemon cake and was very fond of gingerbread cake.
01-17-2015, 01:57 PM
A nice story about Abraham Lincoln and Gingerbread Men - with a recipe

http://www.americantable.org/2013/01/rec...-men-1847/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Mentioning the Mary Todd Home brought up a pleasant memory. Many years ago, Surratt House was honored to be visited by a preservationist group, among which was the wife of the governor of Kentucky. She was working on the preservation of the Mary Todd Home and fell in love with the ingrain carpeting in the parlor at Surratt House. We were then lucky to have an original piece (now in storage), but I was able to give her the name and address of a wonderful company in Red Lion, Pennsylvania, which duplicates early such textiles. In fact, they made our new ingrain carpet about ten years ago when it became time to replace the original.
01-18-2015, 06:27 AM
I do not believe I have ever seen a photo of the home Mary was born in (and lived 1818-1832). Does one exist?
01-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Roger --- a photo of the home in its splender does not exist. There is a photo (I think in one of Townsend's books) of the front of the home after it had been destroyed by fire.
01-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks, Donna!
01-19-2015, 01:36 PM
(01-17-2015 11:50 AM)Donna McCreary Wrote:  
(01-17-2015 01:23 AM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  The story is that the almond cake was served to Abraham Lincoln during his courtship of Mary Todd, and that it was his favorite.

The key word here is "story." Katherine Helm's book tells the story of Mary serving a piece of cake to Lincoln while they were courting, but she made no mention as to what type of cake it was - nor did she say it was his favorite.
In a 1921 magazine article about Kentucky cooking, the "favorite cake" was identified as the Pecan Cake. It was in the 1950's that a historian said it was the Almond cake -- and the story has been the Almond Cake ever since. I still believe that Lincoln was a gracious cake eater and his favorite cake was the last piece he had been served. We also know he enjoyed a good piece of Lemon cake and was very fond of gingerbread cake.

Lemon cake, oh yummy!Tongue

So that well told story about him commenting that "Mary's almond cake is the best I've ever tasted" is definitely apocryphal?
01-20-2015, 12:46 AM
We know Lincoln ate the almond cake -- and he enjoyed it. "Best cake" he ever ate -- yes, apocryphal.
01-20-2015, 07:39 AM
I don't know for sure, but when you are in love you say all kinds of sweet little things like that, so I think it could probably be true. I can picture him saying that.

Remember to let your wife know today how much you enjoyed the "almond cake" and tell her "it's the best I've ever tasted"

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?