No more coaching football-but.
09-17-2014, 05:53 PM
No more coaching football-but.
After a near death experience and violence.I have decided not to coach football.But I will continue to give back to my community-Kiwanis-Ontario County office for the Aging-advisory board-Meals on wheels-Big brothers and Big sisters-Legacy seniors speakers[Civil War] programs,and other programs etc.My Dr.wants me to be busy and busy I will be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2014, 06:16 PM
RE: No more coaching football-but.
Herb, I am so glad you will be doing the Legacy Senior Center programs again. What an exciting and rewarding experience. There is a thread on this here.

Kudos, Herb!
09-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Go for it, Herb. The world needs a lot more people like you. I'm tired of living under the Reign of Terror!
09-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Herb, after all the experiences you shared over the time, good and bad, I just can say I take my hat off to you for your "never-give-up" attitude and energy!
09-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Thank you everyone!The best part of the Legacy experience has been the-Lincoln Assassination and interviewing WW-2 vets about their stories.
09-20-2014, 01:39 PM
HerbS, I am so sorry about your experience. We need more good guys like yourself!

Laurie, I am as exhausted and as angry about the Reign of Terror as you seem to be. I try to comfort myself with the belief that there are more HerbS's out there than there are of THEM...but I am losing hope.

Fast.Sad
09-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Smart choice Herb. I know not everyone agrees with this but i do believe we are in a cultural decline resulting in increased violence and loss of civility. When I was a high schooler- about the worst thing we did was chew gum in class- now the teachers are assaulted.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Didn't Lincoln have something to say about a country killing itself from within? Not just his house divided speech. I remember from Western Civ 101 a list of ways to destroy a civilization, and breeding discontent from within was one of them.
09-20-2014, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 03:53 PM by Wild Bill.)
Lincoln talked about killing the use from within in the Springfield Lyceum speech in 1838

Use ought to be USA
09-20-2014, 06:47 PM
I agree 100% with all of you.Our society is on the downward slope.
09-21-2014, 04:23 PM
(09-20-2014 02:57 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Smart choice Herb. I know not everyone agrees with this but i do believe we are in a cultural decline resulting in increased violence and loss of civility. When I was a high schooler- about the worst thing we did was chew gum in class- now the teachers are assaulted.

God...I remember that! And remember the kids who ditched class and smoked in the restrooms?? I thought they were downright depraved.

Ahh....for lost innocence...Sad
09-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Back in the Middle Ages (when I was a teenager), there used to be a comic strip with a central character/critter named Pogo. I believe that Pogo was famous for delivering a famous one-liner: WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND THEY ARE US!
09-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Laurie-Are you sure that we didn't grow up[if we did grow up]in the Stone Age? But,I agree with you and Pogo!
09-22-2014, 07:02 AM
I remember Pogo, of coarse I was a mere child at the time.

http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2011/04/w...is-us.html

Lots of Pogo cartoon books available, if you want a pleasant trip down memory lane.
http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Kelly/e/B001H...30&sr=8-11

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Just a mere child-Gene?Yeah Right!