Major Rathbone
08-30-2014, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 05:11 AM by loetar44.)
Major Rathbone
Major Rathbone was stabbed by JWB and severely wounded. He was in the room where AL died. He helped to bring AL there, right? I don't know for sure, but I believe that I once have read that he fainted, caused by the severe loss of blood. My questions: what happened with Major Rathbone shortly after AL was laid in his deathbed? Which doctor treated Rathbone? Was he brought to his home by carriage? How long lasted his recovery? Does someone have the answers?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2014, 05:29 AM
RE: Major Rathbone
Hi Kees. Here is a little information. At the Petersen House Rathbone's condition slowly got worse, and he eventually was helped into a carriage by Clara and James R. O'Beirne. Rathbone was taken to Senator Ira Harris' home, and put into bed. Dr. Gustavus William Pope was called, and he assessed and dressed the wound.

In an April 29, 1865, letter to a friend, Clara Harris wrote, "He is getting quite well, but cannot yet use his arm."
08-30-2014, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 09:15 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Kees, if you are interested in Henry Rathbone, I recommend forum member Caleb Stephen's. "Worst Seat in the House" There are I guess all known details on your question and on H. Rathbone's life in general in Caleb's book:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...-1591.html
Just to add to Roger's post: Henry didn't carry A. L., but followed with Mary and Clara to Peterson House, where he fainted in the hallway due to his loss of blood. Dr. Pope was an old friend of the Harrisons. An army surgeon, also summoned, assisted him in sewing up the wound, and Clara helped with "the water, bandages, and towels, etc."
08-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Thank you so much Roger and Eva! Very helpfull. What a load of information you both have! Very impressive.
08-30-2014, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 09:13 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
One learns a lot here. And I indeed once had exactly the same question:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...e#pid20903
04-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Lincoln, Rathbone and Martians
Odd links to history...
I am finalizing my LINCOLN’S WASHINGTON MAP. I am showing the location of Dr. Gustavus Pope’s house. He was the doctor who treated Henry Rathbone when he was taken to Senator Ira Harris’ house.

While researching the background of Dr. Pope I discovered that besides being a doctor, he was a writer of science fiction much like H.G. Wells. He wrote a famous novel about martians. That book is still in print.

Journey to Mars the Wonderful World: Its Beauty and Splendor; Its Mighty Races and Kingdoms; Its Final Doom is an 1894 science fiction novel written by Gustavus W. Pope. (The author called his work a "scientific novel.")[1] The book has attracted increased contemporary attention a...
View on en.wikipedia.org
04-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Interesting aside, Kieran! When will your map be available?
04-30-2015, 05:08 PM
I am working to get it printed by the end of May.
It has taken me only ten years!
04-30-2015, 05:51 PM
OMG - I admire your patience!!! Your other maps are simply perfect overall, regarding the layout as well as for the contents, I guess this one will be, too. I'm looking forward to another masterpiece! (Please post when available!)

This took ten years, too:

http://katiereinig.weebly.com/mapstory-summaries.html