How Reliable Is This?
08-26-2014, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2014 08:00 AM by BettyO.)
How Reliable Is This?
Just wondering.... how reliable is the provence on this sort of thing? I know a few people who own the very same "artifact" - plus there is one at McNair in the Trial Exhibit Room....

http://labarregalleries.blogspot.com/201...chive.html

Is it reliable do you think? It's just that there seem to be quite a bit of "scaffold" splinters floating around if these are for sale....

Comments?

Thanks!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2014, 10:09 AM
RE: How Reliable Is This?
On items like that, I think it's best to assume they are not authentic, and that your purchasing something of very questinable povenance.
Even then, it still might be nice to own, but only because you personally value or like the item, and not with the expectation of selling it again for profit.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Gene is absolutely correct, as any experienced collector can attest. For example, I've seen big bucks paid for playing cards from the 1800's, "shot through and signed" by Annie Oakley. The cards were authentic and had intrinsic value, but the signatures were counterfeit. On the other hand, all "Billy the Kid" wanted posters are worthless modern-day fakes - none were ever printed. The War Department did print posters offering rewards for Booth, Herold and Surratt, and Ford's Theater did hand out programs for the April 14, 1865, performance of "Our American Cousin," but don't expect to see an authentic original at a garage sale or offered on eBay; if you do, assume it's a fake unless proven otherwise. Faked posters and programs at least require some skill and artistry, but how hard is it to stick a piece of aged wood or a length of old rope in a frame and call it authentic? The key is using due diligence. It's one thing to be duped, another to be a dope!
08-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks ya'll.....

Just what I thought. I keep seeing these online for sale and I know a couple of folk who own one and one is also "displayed" at McNair. I'm leery - it's like you say, too, too easy!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
I've seen several offers of a "length of Abraham Lincoln's hair" on eBay. If you look close, for your money, you get a single strand of hair about 1/8 inch long - No chance of finding the DNA on it. Thus, no way to prove it. Buyer beware.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
08-26-2014, 06:16 PM
At the time of Lincoln's autopsy so much of his hair was cut off that the corpse was reportedly left bald in the back. His hair was being given away as relics left, right and center. It was quite literally all over the place. In MTL's anthology of letters she mentions that she had saved a stash of it in one of her closets...and when she was moving out of the WH she discovered that it had been stolen.

At this point the only samples of AL's hair that I would trust as authentic are the samples in the Smithsonian, and the snippet contained in the ring owned by Teddy Roosevelt that is on display at his museum/home Sagamore Hill.

Maybe there might also be samples in the Library of Congress and in the Lincoln Library/Museum in Springfield?
08-26-2014, 06:20 PM
(08-26-2014 06:16 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  At this point the only samples of AL's hair that I would trust as authentic are the samples in the Smithsonian, and the snippet contained in the ring owned by Teddy Roosevelt that is on display at his museum/home Sagamore Hill.

And the hairs off the hair brush I bought from that nice little old lady at the flea market.

08-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I have ONE hair from the head of Edwin Booth.

About 30-35 years ago, myself, Joan Chaconas along with Louise Oertley from Surratt House, went to NYC to give a talk to the Lincoln Group of NY. We went to the Player's Club and also to the NY Public Library to see the Booth collection there. It was grand. This was back in the day when everything was in manilla file folders and envelopes - long before Acid-Free paper and white cotton gloves....

We looked over the wonderful collection, amongst which were samples of hair from the head of Edwin Booth. After the archivist retrieved the collection, and we were getting ready to go, Joan let out a gasp and said, "Look!" There were little Edwin Booth hairs floating about the table top. She licked her finger and picked up a hair. I did the same. We both framed our hairs - mine sits on my bookcase to this day.

08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
LOL...Betty...what a fun story!Big Grin

But what about JWB? He had a head full of beautiful thick curly hair. There must have been quote a demand for it among his bedazzled female fan base even before the assassination.

I wonder if, like AL, his hair is all over the place...?
08-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Quote:But what about JWB? He had a head full of beautiful thick curly hair. There must have been quote a demand for it among his bedazzled female fan base even before the assassination.

Thanks, Toia! I do know that the Museum of the Confederacy here in Richmond, VA has some locks of JWB's hair. There must be more some place....plus, the conspirators (guys) had their hair cut while in prison at least twice. Did they just sweep that up -- or did some of the guards/soldiers take that as souvenirs?

JWB Hair -

08-26-2014, 11:29 PM
WOW....!! That's an impressive lock. Thanks Betty!
08-27-2014, 05:28 AM
(08-26-2014 06:20 PM)Gene C Wrote:  And the hairs off the hair brush I bought from that nice little old lady at the flea market

Lincoln was not known for combing/brushing his hair. Somewhere I read that he combed his hair with his hands. Hopefully she did not take you for thousands of dollars. Maybe it was Fido's hair brush?
08-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Rats! I should have guessed that since the few strands of hair in the brush were all gray. The little old lady said that just happens over time, that they either turn gray or they turn loose.

08-27-2014, 08:44 AM
(08-27-2014 05:28 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Maybe it was Fido's hair brush?
I'm sure that would make/cost quite a few $$$, too...
08-27-2014, 03:28 PM
(08-27-2014 05:28 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Lincoln was not known for combing/brushing his hair. Somewhere I read that he combed his hair with his hands.
Bill has a nice post and account on this:
http://abesblogcabin.org/a-short-account...colns-hair