Booth Aided by Mosby
08-20-2014, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 08:31 AM by BettyO.)
Booth Aided by Mosby
Although much as been made by Messrs Hall, Tidwell and Gaddy in their stupendous work, Come Retribution, as well as letters from General Bradley C. Johnston and others, little else has been made regarding Colonel John Singleton Mosby's possible "interest" or orders in reference to the kidnapping of President Lincoln.

Just found this article in a rather obscure newspaper (love the image of a somewhat "chubby" Booth) dated April 15, 1865 which makes mention of Mosby's involvement in the kidnap venture. Of course, Powell had reiterated that this was so -

Still, interesting to see this referred so at this early date....

PM me if this is too small to read and I'll send a PDF -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2014, 09:53 AM
RE: Booth Aided by Mosby
The startling part to me is that this article is dated one day after the assassination, and the Mosby relationship is already known to the press?
08-20-2014, 10:14 AM
That's what surprised me, Laurie! It's astounding at so early a date. And no one else picked up on this? Somehow someone must have spilled the beans -

Could it possibly have been Weichmann? Who knows....something was afoot here. Would love for John Stanton to chime in on this -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Was Harney's capture a few days earlier mentioned in the newspapers? Maybe a connection between Harney and Mosby and Booth was surmised by that newspaper?
08-20-2014, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 11:39 AM by BettyO.)
Good question, Roger! I'll check -

The only thing I found was that there was a brief mention of skirmish at Burke Station in which Harney was captured in the April 11, 1865 Washington Daily Chronicle. There was a brief mention of Mosby. I'll look further -

08-20-2014, 12:04 PM
That's amazing that all that was published less than 24 hours after Booth's shot, Betty. They knew about his oil speculations and that he was "much addicted to drink" is very interesting, also. Someone had to spill the beans.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
08-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Betty, I found an article in the New York Tribune dated 4/17/1865 that also mentions Mosby.

"The assassin of Gov. Seward and family is believed, from information received at police headquarters, to be a man named Sattuck, a well-know Maryland Rebel.
"At least six persons were engaged in the conspiracy, four of whom neglected to preform their part in the bloody business assigned them by their chief.
"The report that they effected their escape across the Potomac to Mosby is probably correct."
08-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Wow! Pretty Cool, Linda -

Can you let me know where you found the article?

Thanks!

08-20-2014, 12:30 PM
(08-20-2014 12:22 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Wow! Pretty Cool, Linda -

Can you let me know where you found the article?

Thanks!

I found it in the 4/17/1865 New York Tribune through GenBank.
08-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Linda!

08-20-2014, 03:18 PM
(08-20-2014 12:18 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Betty, I found an article in the New York Tribune dated 4/17/1865 that also mentions Mosby.

"The assassin of Gov. Seward and family is believed, from information received at police headquarters, to be a man named Sattuck, a well-know Maryland Rebel.
"At least six persons were engaged in the conspiracy, four of whom neglected to preform their part in the bloody business assigned them by their chief.
"The report that they effected their escape across the Potomac to Mosby is probably correct."

That article also says, "Fred is still unconscious. The Tribune's special, 5 p. m., says no hopes are entertained of Fred Seward's life."

Is that true - was he unconscious for a long time?
08-20-2014, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 04:53 PM by Gene C.)
Any idea of who the "Mr. C" an the end of the article might be?

Interesting that the paper would say he is the brother of Mrs. John S Clarke, wife of the celebrated comedian, instead of the brother of Edwin Booth.
Was John Clarke living in Philadelphia at the time? He doesn't sound real bright. Accoring to Wikipedia, he came into possesion of two letters, from his wife, written by JWB. He turned them over to the Philidelphia Inquirer (stupid) and they printed one of them. His actions led to his arrest and imprisonment for a month.

Once released from prison, Clark told his wife Asia, who was pregnant with twins (born August 1865), that he wanted a divorce, to sperate himself professionaly from the name of Booth. He didn't divorce her, but they were married in name only, and Clarke sought the life of a bachalor. He went to London in 1867, and remained there the rest of his life, except for four visits to America

Wikipedia on Asia Booth Clarke indicated they married in 1859 and had 8 children together. wow! (Edwin Booth Society says they only had six) "The Unlocked Book, John Wilkes Booth, A Sisters Memoir was written 1874, but she kept its existence hidden, fearing it would upset her husband." And according to the Edwin Booth Society, she moves to London with husband and kids in 1868, never to return in her lifetime. http://ebooth-myhamlet.livejournal.com/8257.html
Does Wikipedia have their facts right?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-20-2014, 05:16 PM
(08-20-2014 03:18 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 12:18 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Betty, I found an article in the New York Tribune dated 4/17/1865 that also mentions Mosby.

That article also says, "Fred is still unconscious. The Tribune's special, 5 p. m., says no hopes are entertained of Fred Seward's life."

Is that true - was he unconscious for a long time?

According to an article dated 4/17, Fred "recovered his consciousness this afternoon so far as to recognize his wife."

New York Tribune, April 18, 1865
08-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Linda.
08-21-2014, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 12:31 AM by SSlater.)
(08-20-2014 10:22 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Good question, Roger! I'll check -

The only thing I found was that there was a brief mention of skirmish at Burke Station in which Harney was captured in the April 11, 1865 Washington Daily Chronicle. There was a brief mention of Mosby. I'll look further -
betty o. Mosby may have been planning to assist Booth, But he missed out.
Every year, Mosby would send his Troops out of "Mosby's Confederacy", for the winter months. This gave the families in Loudon County some relief from feeding them.
In March '65, Mosby's men were on the Northern Neck of Virginia. ( For the "foreigners", the Northern Neck is the string of Counties, down the Potomac, Beginning with King George. On the other side of the Neck is the Rappahannock River.)
In March, Mosby got orders to bring his Troop to him. So, in March, they were forming up. They did have time to skirmish a bit on the 17th, at Mattox Creek. (Colonial Beach, VA area, in the vicinity of Sgt. Brogden's Camp) from there they went to Falmouth, VA and on to Loudon County.
As pointed out in Come Retribution Mosby did try to intercept Booth, but it seems the plan was to meet below Caroline County, and the Garrett's Farm.
My source for this is the Log Books of the 4 Union Gunboats that were in the skirmish. PS. Mosby had a Pvt. Thomas Benton Gayle in his Rangers. My step-son is Thomas Benton Gayle V.

(08-21-2014 11:34 PM)SSlater Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 10:22 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Good question, Roger! I'll check -

betty o. Mosby may have been planning to assist Booth, But he missed out.
Every year, Mosby would send his Troops out of "Mosby's Confederacy", for the winter months. This gave the families in Loudon County some relief from feeding them.
In March '65, Mosby's men were on the Northern Neck of Virginia. ( For the "foreigners", the Northern Neck is the string of Counties, down the Potomac, Beginning with King George. On the other side of the Neck is the Rappahannock River.)
In March, Mosby got orders to bring his Troop to him. So, in March, they were forming up. They did have time to skirmish a bit on the 17th, at Mattox Creek. (Colonial Beach, VA area, in the vicinity of Sgt. Brogden's Camp) from there they went to Falmouth, VA and on to Loudon County.
As pointed out in Come Retribution Mosby did try to intercept Booth, but it seems the plan was to meet below Caroline County, and the Garrett's Farm.
My source for this is the Log Books of the 4 Union Gunboats that were in the skirmish. PS. Mosby had a Pvt. Thomas Benton Gayle in his Rangers. My step-son is Thomas Benton Gayle V.
Betty O. I'm back again. You got me interested in finding EXACTLY, what was Mosby doing in the March- April time frame. I looked at Tidwell's APRIL '65. Great Source...
Mosby was totally involved in putting Harney into Washington, and getting him out, safely. Obviously, potential problems of Booth were not a consideration. Mosby set up three escape routes - for Harney.
See Tidwell's April '65" for the details.