Lincoln Funeral Flag replica
08-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Lincoln Funeral Flag replica
The Lincoln Funeral Coalition will have available a limited edition 3x5 (36x30) reproduction of the 36 star flag that was draped over Lincoln's coffin in 1865. Made by Annin Flagmakers, the same company that had made the original. For information on ordering, go to oldcapitolgoods.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2014, 04:00 PM
RE: Lincoln Funeral Flag replica
Was there is flag that was placed in Lincoln's coffin with him? It seems to me that there was.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-16-2014, 04:22 PM
In the 1901 exhumation of Mr. Lincoln, the opening of the coffin revealed a yellow mold over much of the body with remnants of red fabric believed to have been from an American flag. I think there were also small spots of white that they thought at first to be mold, but they turned out to be pieces of the flag's stars. I think this description came from the Life article about the young boy who was present, Fleetwood Lindley.

I have wondered if the flag was over the body as it was viewed in all the cities along the funeral route, or was it something that was added just before the coffin was closed for the final time (at least in 1865).
08-16-2014, 04:28 PM
That's what I thought. So it must have been laid on his chest, perhaps? Surely, they didn't place it over his face.

Bill Nash
08-16-2014, 04:56 PM
The exhumation description indicates that Lincoln's face was very much intact (if that is a correct word to use), except for his eyebrows having disappeared.
08-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Funny his eyebrows would be gone but not his beard. I think this subject has been discussed before- and perhaps it's a bit morbid- but given the state of his body when placed the final time- with all of the special steps that were taken- could there possibly still be anything left of his body?

Bill Nash
08-22-2014, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 12:58 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
(08-16-2014 04:56 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The exhumation description indicates that Lincoln's face was very much intact (if that is a correct word to use), except for his eyebrows having disappeared.

That is the description that struck me and stayed with me. I simply cannot picture AL without eyebrows. The article also said that his face mole was still there and that he had a "melancholy expression" which was a little strange. During the 20 day viewing most newspaper descriptions said he had a slight smile...and obviously he didn't change his expression later.Confused

The boy who gave the interview for LIFE Mag in the 50's said that Lincoln looked just like a statue of himself in the coffin.

Gene, yes I agree with you. I think the flag was folded and placed over AL's chest just before the casket was sealed.

(08-16-2014 05:10 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Funny his eyebrows would be gone but not his beard. I think this subject has been discussed before- and perhaps it's a bit morbid- but given the state of his body when placed the final time- with all of the special steps that were taken- could there possibly still be anything left of his body?

Bill, since it has been in an airtight lead lined coffin-in a concrete block no less!- for over 100 years now, it would not surprise me at all if AL was still in a decent state of preservation. Why wouldn't he be? He was virtually mummified during his 20 day Funeral extravaganza with all the embalming.

I remember when they disinterred Zachary Taylor in 1991 to test his remains for arsenic poisoning. The reports were that he was still pretty well preserved and I don't think he was embalmed like AL was.
08-23-2014, 10:56 AM
(08-16-2014 04:56 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The exhumation description indicates that Lincoln's face was very much intact (if that is a correct word to use), except for his eyebrows having disappeared.

Think cockroaches. And beetles. He had an open coffin viewing with several stops on the way back to Springfield, leaving him exposed to the elements. The eyebrows have been hypothesized as an evolutionary protector of the eyes, preventing sweat and rain from running down, blocking our vision. The eyebrow hair is more delicate than beard hair, and thus more prone to retain water and salt. These two bugs will eat about anything, although they have dietary preferences.
08-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Beetles?? cockroaches??! YIKES. Confused
08-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Didn't see that answer coming!

Bill Nash
09-16-2014, 05:37 PM
I have the Life Magazine issue of February 15, 1963. It is a wealth of information on the burial and exhumation.

It just dawned on me that it was the February 1963 issue of The American Rifleman where Lee Harvey Oswald responded to the advertisement for the Mannlicher! (I have that issue, also)