Present at the Assassination - Michigan's Boy Surgeon?
07-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Smile Present at the Assassination - Michigan's Boy Surgeon?
Seems this is new to me. Anyone ever hear of "Michigan's Boy Surgeon", Dr. Arend Van der Veen? This is a new one on me; if I've heard of him - I've forgotten...

Interesting story, though -

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand...rom_m.html

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2014, 04:13 PM
RE: Present at the Assassination - Michigan's Boy Surgeon?
"According to family lore, Dr. Arend Van der Veen had a hand in moving the president across the street, and his overcoat may have been stained with blood as the tragedy unfolded"

Betty, I have never seen that name before in association with those helping get the president to the Petersen House. My guess: family lore that IMO seems unlikely to be fact.
07-05-2014, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 04:30 PM by BettyO.)
Agreed, Roger. It seems that everyone wants (or wanted!) to get their "moment of fame" and get into the act.... I've seen more news articles which I think are spurious regarding those present at the assassination, the trial, the hanging, Booth's autopsy, etc. Folk I've never heard of who had seen things recorded I had never heard of or read of anywhere else; and when it gets down to the "nitty gritty" of known facts, they always seem to have something wrong in their recollections which could be documented correctly elsewhere.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-05-2014, 04:40 PM
I forgot where I read this, maybe in the Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection, but one man claimed he was in Ford's Theater when Lincoln was shot and he was also present when Booth was shot at Garrett's farm.
07-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Wonderful story Betty- especially because of the Michigan connection. Maybe I could plan a day trip to Grand Rapids to check out the exhibit in the museum.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2014, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 08:02 AM by BettyO.)
Thanks, Bill! If you visit, please let us know what you find out.

It is indeed interesting - the exhibit seems really well done and worth a visit - if I were closer!

07-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I think the man you are thinking about Linda was Wilson Kenzie. The Courier was nice enough to publish an article I wrote regarding Kenzie's claim that he was at Ford's as well as the Garrett Farm in their May, 2012 edition. Hope this name rings a bell. Wink
07-12-2014, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 09:44 AM by HeWasThere.)
Greetings and salutations from Savannah! This being my first post I'd like to say hello to all and proudly let you know my Great-great Grandfather, Dr. Arend Van der Veen, the 'boy surgeon' of the 8th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, was there the night our 16th President was shot and how excited I am to share some of his items currently on display at the Grand Rapids Public Museum for others to view and enjoy.

See Civil War artifacts from Michigan's 'boy surgeon' at ...
http://www.mlive.com/.../see_civil_war_a...rom_m.html
Michigan Live by Jeffrey Kaczmarczyk - Jul 5, 2014 - Known as the "Boy Surgeon," Van der Veen served as assistant ...

"When we started out in '61, they liked to call me the Boy Surgeon," Van der Veen later wrote. "Nowadays, the ones left just call me 'Doc.'"
07-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Welcome!

I'm so very glad that you joined....

This is a wonderful, education and fun forum and we have a lot of very interesting discussions here. I found the article re: your great-great grandfather online and posted it here originally. It is a very interesting story - thanks for joining us!

07-12-2014, 10:49 AM
That is great! Thank you for joining. I hope to make it out to the museum soon- as I live just a few hours away.

Bill Nash
07-12-2014, 11:05 AM
(07-12-2014 09:48 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Welcome!

I'm so very glad that you joined....

This is a wonderful, education and fun forum and we have a lot of very interesting discussions here. I found the article re: your great-great grandfather online and posted it here originally. It is a very interesting story - thanks for joining us!

Greetings Betty,

Good morning!

What a wonderful tribute this symposium offers to like minded souls. I trust any thoughts I'd like to share, or reply, to other members will be viewed and understood for the content of the character,... and not by my spelling, (is there a 'spell check' feature on this site?) or incorrect use of grammar. I don't mean to bloviate, but please take into account I'm the son, of the son, of the son, of the son of a doctor... and we all know how they spell. However, even though their scribbles on a note pad may be difficult to read and understood at first -- the prescription still gets filled. "Cheers!"

"When we started out in '61, they liked to call me the Boy Surgeon," Van der Veen later wrote. "Nowadays, the ones left just call me 'Doc.'"
07-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Fortunately with Electronic Record now- we don't have to try and figure out what the MD's wrote!

Bill Nash
07-12-2014, 01:05 PM
(07-12-2014 11:05 AM)HeWasThere Wrote:  (is there a 'spell check' feature on this site?)

Welcome, Charles! There is a spell check plugin for the forum but when installed it does not work. If you are using Internet Explorer there is a spell checker that can be downloaded and installed here. It creates an icon at the top of your browser than can be used to check posts. It works fine on my computer.
07-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Welcome Charles!Smile

I am always fascinated to meet and speak with people who-through their ancestors-are a direct link to history!
07-12-2014, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 08:00 PM by HeWasThere.)
(07-12-2014 01:05 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 11:05 AM)HeWasThere Wrote:  (is there a 'spell check' feature on this site?)

Welcome, Charles! There is a spell check plugin for the forum but when installed it does not work. If you are using Internet Explorer there is a spell checker that can be downloaded and installed here. It creates an icon at the top of your browser than can be used to check posts. It works fine on my computer.

Thank you, I appreciate the information. Now all I need to do is have one of our children set it up for me and I'm good to go.

(07-12-2014 10:49 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  That is great! Thank you for joining. I hope to make it out to the museum soon- as I live just a few hours away.

Greetings Bill, I hope you do go, it's a very thoughtful exhibit that leaves the viewer with the different viewpoints, today as well as back then, that effected all Americans during that time in our shared history but because it's in Michigan there's more of an emphasis on Michigan's participation, impact and... sacrifice. BTW - What I found interesting about the lay-out is before you enter the Civil War artifact exhibit display hall proper, there's a subtle shadow box on the right - of personal effects (1861-1865) of Arend Van der Veen... and my take on it is he sort of "shows the "face" for the exhibit and will be the first "person" you meet before you enter. This slight touch, in my humble opinion, makes it more intimate-personable-one on one if you will and I found myself carrying that thought as I wandered through the rest of the exhibit hall. In addition, the museum individuals involved in putting the exhibit together even had the forethought of including two (2) detailed placards next to the shadow box; The top one describes what was happening year by year following, during and shortly after the War between the States and the placard below "mirrors/chronicled" the ordinary life, events and eventual 4 year service starting on Sept. 11, 1861 of a then 19 year old "man." All and all, there were many "hands" in the delivery room when the GRPM Thank God For Michigan exhibit was conceived,... it is a very moving experience and definitely worth a look.