Can You Spot the Historical Inaccuracies?
07-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Can You Spot the Historical Inaccuracies?
With the 149th anniversary of the hanging on this coming Monday, I found online (it's on Youtube) a clip from the movie The Conspirator. It's the hanging sequence.

Just for fun - I thought it'd be neat to see how many historical inaccuracies one could find in this - and yes, there are quite a few.

The clip is only about 5-8 minutes long....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDJuv0x1wEo

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2014, 08:06 PM
RE: Can You Spot the Historical Inaccuracies?
Despite its errors, this movie has done more to bring the story of Mary Surratt - and the conspiracy trial - to the minds of masses of Americans than any other form of media that I can think of. Our attendance at the museum increased over 3,000 each year for two years after its showing, and people are now coming in having seen it on video. If for no other reason (and the fact that the film's crew was great to work with and did an outstanding job of creating educational packets on the story for teachers across the country), I remain a fan of the movie, flaws and all. In many respects, it has less errors than many of the "documentaries" that are out there...
07-05-2014, 05:45 AM
Wasn't Mary Surratt wearing a veil?

Didn't Lewis Powell lose his hat?

Wasn't Atzerodt hatless as he walked out?

Wasn't Powell the last of the four prisoners to come out into the yard?
07-05-2014, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 10:43 AM by BettyO.)
Correct, Roger!

Here's what I spotted -

1) The gallows was only approximately 32-36 feet from the doorway and there was only 1 to 2 steps.

2) Powell was the last one out. In the movie, he's right behind Mary.

3) Mary isn't wearing a veil.

4) Powell is wearing a slouch hat. He was actually wearing a straw sailor's boater which Dr. Gillette procured for him. This hat blew off his head on the gallows and Powell told Dr. Gillette not to bother about retrieving it as he "Would not need it much longer." Therefore, he was not wearing a hat when he was hooded on the gallows.

5) Atzerodt was wearing a white handkerchief on his head - not a hat.

6) In the movie, the boys are wearing boots once they walk up the steps to the gallows. All of the men were wearing slippers except Powell who was in his stocking feet. No boots were pulled off on the gallows.

7) In the movie, the prayers of the spiritual advisors on the gallows are completely left out. Hartranft reads the death warrent and HE signals for the drop to fall; not Rath.

8) In the movie, the nooses are placed on the conspirators first, then the hoods. In reality, the hoods were placed on first - then the nooses.

I, too LOVE this movie - one of my favorites..... but can anyone else spot thing which seemed "out of kilter?"

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-05-2014, 10:39 AM
At the time of the filming, I had a friend living in Savannah. He responded to a call for extras for the film and was chosen. In fact, Jim was selected to be the hangman for Marry Surratt. He is the bearded man in the white shirt and pants and tan jacket with the white hat. He commented about how pleasant and cooperative Robin Wright was during all the rehearsals and actual takes. He was always asking her if he was tying the restraints too tight, as they rehearsed. She always politely responded no. He also commented similarly about Robert Redford as he directed and during down moments. Fortunately, I have an autographed picture of Jim in costume and he shared a few other personal photos with me that were taken during the filming. It was certainly a once in a lifetime experience for him that I’m sure he will never forget.

At one point in time, the extras had a website of photos and experiences, but I don’t know if that website is still in existence and I have no idea what the url might be.

Robert
07-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Shortly after the film was released, two policemen from Savannah visited Surratt House. I believe that I am correct that their offices became Reverdy Johnson's congressional office in the film. They too commented on how nice the crew and actors were.
07-05-2014, 10:57 AM
In the movie, the condemned are silent on the scaffold. In reality both George and Lew both said something, I believe.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 11:30 AM by BettyO.)
Yes - correct, Bill!

Lew told Rath as he was hooded, "I thank you - goodbye."

Atzerodt started to speak as he was hooded, "Goodbye gentlemen who are before me now. May we all meet in the other world."

The characters in the film remain silent except for a few sniffles and sobs....

Also, in the movie, Davey appears to be blubbering his head off on the scaffold. I think he was fairly quiet on the scaffold.

Great about the "Behind the Scenes" bits regarding the movie. I'd like to hear more of those - they are extremely interesting. I've always regretted that the movie wasn't shot in Richmond. I'd have loved to have worked on that one! Redford DID come to Richmond, but the gubernatorial administration at the time wasn't supportive of shooting film in Virginia with the necessary financial "perks" so Redford went "shopping" elsewhere.

OK .... So much for levity -

I found this online here: http://www.epixhd.com/the-conspirator/

It's one of the silliest things I've ever seen!

07-05-2014, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 03:56 PM by LincolnMan.)
I think I found another one. In the movie, Mary has the hood placed on her head last. In reality, wasn't see the first one to be hooded?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 02:15 PM by Jenny.)
I think Powell was hooded first, wasn't he? Then Mrs. Surratt? Someone remind me! I am pretty sure they did not just go down the line with the hooding as is shown in the movie.

The single biggest issue I remember about the film was how I thought Powell was really miscast. Wink Not to mention the JWB actor...
07-05-2014, 02:49 PM
I agree about the miscasting, Jenny. My daughter and I got to meet the Powell actor up close (and personal). He was not much different in person than he was as Powell. I will say, however, that he was one of the few who came out of the back rooms at Ford's to mingle with the crowds at the premiere. The main stars came out long enough to pose on the red carpet and answer a few questions from TV reporters, then back in they went until the reception later at the Newseum.
07-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Quote:RE: Can You Spot the Historical Inaccuracies?
I think I found another one. In the movie, Mary has the good placed on her head last. In reality, wasn't see the first one to be hooded?
Bill Nash

Bill, according to the photos - Powell was the first hooded - I really don't know the sequence after that. Anyone want to take a guess?

Jenny and Laurie - I also have to agree with the miscasting of Powell and JWB. To me, the Powell actor was too short and just didn't look like the 20 year old kid that Powell actually was. The guy playing JWB simply didn't look like him - period!

07-05-2014, 04:50 PM
(07-05-2014 11:16 AM)BettyO Wrote:  OK .... So much for levity -

I found this online here: http://www.epixhd.com/the-conspirator/

It's one of the silliest things I've ever seen!

That guard looks familiar, Betty.
07-05-2014, 05:23 PM
He does?! Who do you think he is?

07-05-2014, 05:29 PM
(07-05-2014 05:23 PM)BettyO Wrote:  He does?! Who do you think he is?

A member of this forum as well as a frequent speaker at the Surratt Conferences?