"The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace
06-22-2014, 04:49 PM
"The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace
Earlier this spring, I traveled with a small group to the Lew Wallace Study in Crawfordsville, IN to help with some clean up around the grounds. Following our day of work, we went on a tour of the study itself. Low and behold, displayed up high on one of the walls was a painting Wallace did of the conspirators. The painting is quite large (I don’t have the exact dimensions). Though I have some ideas of my own, I am interested to hear people’s thoughts as to the symbolism (if any) expressed here. Although it is a little difficult to figure out who is who, there is one person conspicuously missing and another person added.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2014, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2014 06:19 PM by BettyO.)
RE: "The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace
Quote:Although it is a little difficult to figure out who is who, there is one person conspicuously missing and another person added.

I've always wondered about Wallace's composition and thought it rather odd that he uses Lew Powell as the pinnacle focal point of the painting rather than Booth. Unless it's to show that Booth was the basis or "corner stone" of the conspiracy. Still, Powell is the figure one's eye is immediately drawn to. The composition actually forms a pyramid - with Booth, Mudd and Surratt anchored at the base while Powell forms the apex and Spangler is isolated at the far base corner. Conspicuously missing is Mrs. Surratt - with the person "added" being son John Surratt.

I'd LOVE to see this painting in person - and think that they are really missing out in not having a poster/print for sale based on this piece of artwork. It would certainly have a place in my study!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-22-2014, 06:36 PM
(06-22-2014 04:49 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Earlier this spring, I traveled with a small group to the Lew Wallace Study in Crawfordsville, IN to help with some clean up around the grounds. Following our day of work, we went on a tour of the study itself. Low and behold, displayed up high on one of the walls was a painting Wallace did of the conspirators. The painting is quite large (I don’t have the exact dimensions). Though I have some ideas of my own, I am interested to hear people’s thoughts as to the symbolism (if any) expressed here. Although it is a little difficult to figure out who is who, there is one person conspicuously missing and another person added.

Hello STS,
That must have been nice to see the original work. In Lincoln's Assassins Their Trial and Execution an Illustrated History by James Swanson and Daniel Weinberg it has this portrait on the very first page. First Row, Left to right: John Wilkes Booth, Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, John H. Surratt. Second Row left to right: Samuel Arnold, George Atzerodt, David Herold, Michael O' Laughlin, Edman Spangler; Third row Lewis Powell.

It is an interesting portrait and you raise a very good question regarding its symbolism. Two things that stick out to me are Powell's "Giant like" quality. He was obviously a physically imposing young man for the times, and that is portrayed in the painting, but what fascinates me as well in the portrait is where each conspirator is placed. I wonder if there is any symbolism in that as well? You have Spangler on the very outside. Right beside Booth is Dr. Mudd. Interestingly enough not Herold who accompanied him on his escape. Herold is tucked behind Surratt and directly below Powell who dwarfs him (Is there a hidden message here Dodgy ) was the front row reserved for the Brains of the operation in Wallace’s mind? Booth, Mudd, and Surratt? Interestingly Arnold and Atzerodt are paired together. Both men wanted out of the plot once it changed to murder. And finally O'Laughlin, again on the periphery almost looks like he is hiding from the group.
06-22-2014, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2014 06:54 PM by STS Lincolnite.)
Betty, I think your observations are very interesting and similar to mine. The first thing I thought of was them sitting around what looked to me like a broken column. Wallace was a Republican and a Freemason. I am certainly no expert, but from what I have read, the broken column is symbolism common in freemasonry and is often used on tomb monuments for those whose life was deemed to be cut short. Your thoughts on the cornerstone and the formation of a pyramid would fit into that same type of symbolism.

I am attaching some other photos. Two of sketches of the conspirators from the trial and another with who the conspirators seem to be in this painting. There are some similarities with the sketches.

Here is a different interpretation of the painting that is printed in the catalog at the Lew Wallace study (one of the staff members there was kind enough to send it along with a better quality photo than I was able to get myself):

"Unfinished painting in oil, on canvas, "The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace. The scene is in the Capitol grounds in Washington, D. C., on the occasion of the second inauguration of President Lincoln. The Capitol was still incomplete, hence the large blocks of stone. Mrs. Suratt is not in the painting, but all the rest are, including John Suratt. They appear to be in the following order. Standing erect on top of the stone, in the center of the picture, is Lewis Payne. Seated on top of the stone, with legs extended, at left is George Atzerodt. Behind him to his right is David Herold. Seated below them is John Wilkes Booth, with Dr. Samuel Mudd to his left. The identity of the other four is somewhat uncertain, but may be Samuel Arnold, John Surratt, Michael O'Laughlin and Edward Spangler, in that order. In the background can be seen an iron fence. The testimony at the trial showed that they watched the proceedings in a group and actually endeavored to reach the president but could not pass his bodyguard."

Just for you Betty, I am going to contact the Wallace Study and see if there is a way we can get a print or poster for you!

DanC,

It was neat to see this work in person. I was quite surprised to see it when I looked up. It is in fact, much larger than I would have expected. I would say over 5 feet X 5 feet (although I can't be sure since it was displayed about 10 feet off the ground and in a corner). I have e-mailed the study to see if I can get the actual dimensions and am waiting to hear back.

Per the other post I just sent, you can see there is some disagreement as to exactly which of the conspirators is which. Not hard to believe as, in my humble opinion, Wallace was a man of many talents but creating lifelike drawings was not one of them! I attached the Wallace sketches as a comparison - I put in who I thought each one was but that is certainly up for debate.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-22-2014, 07:26 PM
STS and Dan -

Thanks for an interesting perspective! How very lucky you are to have seen that painting!

I have read somewhere (can't remember right now where from what book I read it) that the "broken columns" symbolized the nation torn apart during the war - but I also like and agree with your mourning symbol suggestion. Broken Columns were indeed an image of mourning and early death.

Here is another portrait of Powell which Wallace made from life while on trial.

Thanks a bunch!

I think that with the 150th anniversary coming up that they could make a good profit from selling prints/posters of that painting! I know one of the archivists there and will give him a call as well!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-23-2014, 06:56 AM
I also was immediately drawn to Powell being the focal point of the picture. Not only is he centered, but he appears to tower over the others. His body is tall and erect compared to the rest. All that is missing are beams of light protruding from behind and you could substitute Powell for Lincoln. I would have guessed the artist would have been interpreting Lincoln as a martyr or God like figure, while composing the other conspirators small and slithering about his feet like snakes.

If one were to see this painting before learning about the actual conspiracy the symbolism to me, at least, would portray Powell as the ring leader. But I would still be confused as to why the artist portrayed him as so much more noble than the rest appear. The others are portrayed much more "shady".

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
06-23-2014, 09:06 AM
(06-23-2014 06:56 AM)brtmchl Wrote:  I also was immediately drawn to Powell being the focal point of the picture. Not only is he centered, but he appears to tower over the others. His body is tall and erect compared to the rest. All that is missing are beams of light protruding from behind and you could substitute Powell for Lincoln. I would have guessed the artist would have been interpreting Lincoln as a martyr or God like figure, while composing the other conspirators small and slithering about his feet like snakes.

If one were to see this painting before learning about the actual conspiracy the symbolism to me, at least, would portray Powell as the ring leader. But I would still be confused as to why the artist portrayed him as so much more noble than the rest appear. The others are portrayed much more "shady".

It is interesting that Powell is the focal point and standing above the rest. Is this possibly because Powell was somewhat redeemed in the eyes of the artist? Or at least more so than the others.

If I recall, by the end of the whole trial, etc. Powell had more or less admitted his crime, in fact regretted his role/participation and accepted the punishment for what he did. Am I accurate in that? Betty maybe you could weigh in again in this.
06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Quote:It is interesting that Powell is the focal point and standing above the rest. Is this possibly because Powell was somewhat redeemed in the eyes of the artist? Or at least more so than the others.

If I recall, by the end of the whole trial, etc. Powell had more or less admitted his crime, in fact regretted his role/participation and accepted the punishment for what he did. Am I accurate in that? Betty maybe you could weigh in again in this.

I think that Powell, being a soldier, was more or less "admired" if you will, by some of the prison staff (i.e. Christian Rath, Hartranft, Colonel William Doster, his attorney and Wallace perhaps), for his dignity and military bearing, both on trial and on the gallows. This may account for Wallace's position on placing Powell at the center or apex. It is a striking portrait and most certainly one's eyes are drawn directly to Powell rather than to the others who, possibly in Wallace's eyes were somewhat "beneath" Powell both in dignity, bearing and/or breeding. Don't forget that Powell was 2nd cousin to General John Brown Gordon of Georgia.

06-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Let's just be honest...from a strictly physical point of view Powell was the standout from what was frankly a very unimpressive looking gang. The men all looked like weasels(except Powell).

That's probably at least part of the reason they were all so in thrall to Booth.
06-23-2014, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 01:10 PM by Gene C.)
I think there might have been more "respect" for Powell than the others based upon the things Betty mentioned. While he might have been scared, he was no coward. He accepted his punishment, He was chivalrous in his attitude and actions toward Mrs. Surratt. He came from a good and respectful home. Military training can only go so far in shaping a persons character. It takes what is already there and builds upon it.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-23-2014, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 02:49 PM by BettyO.)
I agree. Powell did garner a LOT of respect from those associated with the military.

OK - It's Monday - so time out for a bit of levity....

Here's The Conspirators if Wallace had been into the Warhol Pop Art scene....

06-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Lee Wallace was very talented. He painted, sketched, and wrote. I know he was the author of Ben Hur.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2014, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 04:33 PM by Gene C.)
the movie was pretty cool too!

http://www.waitsel.com/historical_novels/Ben-Hur.html

Movie Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzfqVtmxVA

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-23-2014, 04:29 PM
One of my favorites!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Agreed! Love the movie -