Surratt Courier
08-03-2012, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 02:53 PM by RJNorton.)
Surratt Courier
Kudos to forum members Dave Taylor and Jim Garrett for their wonderful articles in the current Surratt Courier.

Also, Dave Taylor continues to write fascinating and informative articles on his BoothieBarn website. Be sure to visit when you have an opportunity. It's a terrific addition to the Internet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
RE: Surratt Courier
(08-03-2012 02:51 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos to forum members Dave Taylor and Jim Garrett for their wonderful articles in the current Surratt Courier.

Also, Dave Taylor continues to write fascinating and informative articles on his BoothieBarn website. Be sure to visit when you have an opportunity. It's a terrific addition to the Internet.

AMEN !!!!

Talked to Lindsey -- Dave is NOW living in Maryland! Best of wishes to both!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Yes-just read both articles and they were great. In Mr. Garrett's article "William Storke Jett," Confederate Officer Lt. Mortimer Ruggles is mentioned for his role in Booth and Herold finding safe haven. Now I have a trivia question-no cheating folks- where was Ruggles born?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Fort Williams - Lake Superior?
08-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Rsmyth: Oh, you are so close! You're in the correct region! What Fort?

Bill Nash
08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
(08-03-2012 02:51 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos to forum members Dave Taylor and Jim Garrett for their wonderful articles in the current Surratt Courier.

Thank you Roger for the kind words. I wrote the piece on Willie Jett for the NPS/Ford's Theatre for their living history presentation. I gave a copy to Laurie and I'm glad it could be of use. I just got my courier and caught one error. I mistakenly called Joseph Clark, a Carter. Joseph was the son of Virginia Clark, in who's house, Davey Herold slept his last night on earth in a real bed. Joseph Clark eventually also ended up in the greater Baltimore are and died in the Maryland State Sanitarium in Sykesville Md. He is buried in Loudoun Park in Baltimore.
08-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Rsmyth: Ruggles was born at Fort Wilkins, Michigan in the Copper Harbor area. The Fort is right at Lake Superior. How far Ruggles went from his birth to that point in his life where he became part of the Lincoln assassination story. But if he had not been part of that drama-we wouldn't be citing his name today. He is buried, I believe in New York.

Bill Nash
08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Great articles by Dave Taylor and Jim Garrett in the Surratt Courier. I read them both today. Keep em coming!

Craig
08-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I think you will like the September issue also...
08-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Does the September issue have more articles by Jim and Dave? I hope so.
08-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the kudos everyone. I still find it remarkable that the most obscure conspirator of them all is credited, in part, with such a beautiful creation.

[Image: honeysuckles-by-michael-olaughlen.jpg]
08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes, that is too cool. Glad you brought it for us to enjoy.

Bill Nash
08-06-2012, 06:45 PM
The September issue will have another article by Dave, who promised it to me months ago but a little thing like him teaching five days a week slowed it up a bit! This time I grabbed him before another school year could begin.

Other than the 150 Years Ago regular segment, I'm working with condensing a long article on a priest who got arrested for looking like JWB.

As for Jim Garrett, he hasn't dangled another carrot in front of me yet...
08-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Laurie, Rich Dave and I are going on a field trip. Something is bound to come out of it.
02-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks to Jim Garrett for his comments in this months Surratt Courier about the Congressional Cemetery. I found it thought provoking. Angel

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?