Grave Searches
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Grave Searches
In recent years, we have had a number of inquiries at Surratt House as to where John M. Lloyd is buried. Until recently, we did not know that his simple marker in Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Washington has been pushed over and is laying on the ground. We knew that he was in a section near Mrs. Surratt, but not the exact location.

Last week, we had a visitor from Ohio who wanted to find his grave. Today, I got a call from that gentleman while he was in Mt. Olivet. He found that Lloyd is in Section 15 off Holy Name Avenue beside a tall obelisk for a "Rafferty."

Just a little factoid for you...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2012, 08:33 PM
RE: Grave Searches
Unless the cemetery uprighted the marker, as of 2 weeks ago it was still lying on the ground face up. Again less than a hundred yards fron Mary Surratt.
08-03-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: Grave Searches
According to the visitor from Ohio, who called me on his cell phone while standing at Lloyd's grave, the stone is still flat on the ground face up.

I had contacted Mt. Olivet several months ago when I was being told the stone had disappeared. I received a letter of assurance that it was still there, but had fallen over. I do need to contact them again to see if it isn't their responsibility to have it uprighted and repaired. I thought all big cemeteries now were perpetual care (part of the expenses you pay to be buried there), and that should include more than just mowing, IMO. I'm in charge of our small family cemetery that dates to 1858, so I have never had the experience of dealing with the big guys.