We Have A Problem, Houston
04-07-2014, 11:30 AM
We Have A Problem, Houston
Well, another set-back to history buffs. I just received a lengthy phone call from a gentleman who is irate after tracing the Booth route in preparation for friends coming to visit. It seems that either the State of Virginia or Ft. A.P. Hill has barricaded and chained off the pull-over strip that allows cars and buses to stop and visitors to walk to the site of where the Garrett farmhouse once stood.

Since the site is in the median strip of the north- and south-bound lanes of U.S. Route 301, this pull-off has been the only way to reach the spot in the 37 years we have been doing the tours. The warning signs supposedly have been put up by the Environmental and Natural Resources people. Since the median is about fifty feet wide at this point and covered with relatively new undergrowth after a devastating ice storm about ten years ago, I can only surmise that they are protecting the site from further metal detecting. There have been signs up warning against that for years.

That whole area has been drastically disturbed over the years with the highway going through it in the 1940s or so and then a dual-lane added later that it is doubtful that anything of significance remains. If the State of Virginia or the Feds think that something might be there, why don't they do a little detecting?

More will be revealed because it will be a shame to close the site off to future historians.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2014, 12:31 PM
RE: We Have A Problem, Houston
Government doesn't need a reason. They make it up as they go.
04-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Quote:More will be revealed because it will be a shame to close the site off to future historians.

This makes me very upset. I haven't had a chance to visit the site yet and I pray that this won't prevent me from ever seeing it.
04-07-2014, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 02:24 PM by Gene C.)
For those of you who have never been to the site (I visited about 25 years ago, and there wasn't much to see then) here is some interesting info from our very own member Mike Kanazawich

http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=13732

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Our Virginia history detective is on the case - Betty O. has already made a call to a historic preservation office that knows nothing about it, but is going to check. The driver for our bus tours was on a personal trip to North Carolina two weeks ago, and the barricades and chain were not there at the time of his return north.

I have a general tendency to suspect the worst, but if the signs were put up by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, it suggests to me that someone was concerned about the situation after the Diggers program aired on March 25.
04-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Thank you for the link, Gene!! And Laurie, I hope this isn't going to be the worst chance scenario!
04-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Update: The gentleman who called this morning has spent the day tracking down the situation, and here is what he has found: The median strip is owned by the U.S. Government under the auspices of Fort AP Hill. They were recently approached by the Diggers program for permission to detect there, but they turned the idea down. However, a government archaeologist now intends to perform a government dig there -- hence the lock-out.

They have no idea whether the site will be available to tourists once the dig is over. It would seem logical that, if all they are interested in is saving any relics, they could open back up once those relics are protected and housed elsewhere.

Two thoughts: My contact was told by the officer today that all of the remains of the Garrett house were used as fill when the first lanes of 301 were put in. We were also told years ago, that commander at Ft. A.P. Hill - Gen. Julian Raymond - had also commanded McNair at one point and knew the assassination history very well. When he found out that people were digging up pieces of brick, etc., he supposedly sent men out with broken bricks to pepper the soil and increase historical interest in his favorite subject. How times have changed!
04-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Gen. Julian Raymond di a lot of work on what arms the pursuing cavalry were carrying and is mentioned in my and Rick Smith's “Could John Wilkes Booth Have Committed Suicide?” in Rick Stelnick, “Booth Bombshell: Not Suicide by Cop,” February 10, 2012, SURRATT COURIER, 38 (May 2013), 3-8.
04-07-2014, 05:10 PM
I believe we have parts of Gen. Raymond's work in our files at Surratt House. He was part of the 1930-60 group that consisted of Otto Eisenschiml, Margaret Bearden, and Dr. Richard Mudd. John C. Brennan carried on correspondence with them all for quite awhile.
04-07-2014, 10:01 PM
The government will probably spend 16 million or so in the process of doing this.
04-08-2014, 05:44 AM
Quote:Update: The gentleman who called this morning has spent the day tracking down the situation, and here is what he has found: The median strip is owned by the U.S. Government under the auspices of Fort AP Hill. They were recently approached by the Diggers program for permission to detect there, but they turned the idea down. However, a government archaeologist now intends to perform a government dig there -- hence the lock-out.

Once again....something that could have simply enhanced an interest in our subject has turned against us....

I only pray that this "lock down" or "lock out" will eventually be recalled so others can enjoy the FULL Booth Tour!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-08-2014, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 08:07 AM by Gene C.)
(04-07-2014 10:01 PM)RickBeaver Wrote:  The government will probably spend 16 million or so in the process of doing this.

A small price to pay to dig the same hole twice

Fido says he can get a couple of his friends together and they can do it for half the cost. (He thinks he could qualify as a minority contractor - and he can work without having three people standing around pretending to tell him how to dig a hole)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-08-2014, 09:48 AM
I vote for Fido! However, I also have to appreciate the government's refusal to let Diggers have a go at it...
04-08-2014, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 10:22 AM by PaigeBooth.)
(04-07-2014 11:30 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Well, another set-back to history buffs. I just received a lengthy phone call from a gentleman who is irate after tracing the Booth route in preparation for friends coming to visit. It seems that either the State of Virginia or Ft. A.P. Hill has barricaded and chained off the pull-over strip that allows cars and buses to stop and visitors to walk to the site of where the Garrett farmhouse once stood.

Since the site is in the median strip of the north- and south-bound lanes of U.S. Route 301, this pull-off has been the only way to reach the spot in the 37 years we have been doing the tours. The warning signs supposedly have been put up by the Environmental and Natural Resources people. Since the median is about fifty feet wide at this point and covered with relatively new undergrowth after a devastating ice storm about ten years ago, I can only surmise that they are protecting the site from further metal detecting. There have been signs up warning against that for years.

That whole area has been drastically disturbed over the years with the highway going through it in the 1940s or so and then a dual-lane added later that it is doubtful that anything of significance remains. If the State of Virginia or the Feds think that something might be there, why don't they do a little detecting?

More will be revealed because it will be a shame to close the site off to future historians.

(04-08-2014 08:04 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 10:01 PM)RickBeaver Wrote:  The government will probably spend 16 million or so in the process of doing this.

A small price to pay to dig the same hole twice

Fido says he can get a couple of his friends together and they can do it for half the cost. (He thinks he could qualify as a minority contractor - and he can work without having three people standing around pretending to tell him how to dig a hole)

I am so glad I read this, Laurie. My family and I were planning to visit the Garrett Farm site this spring, and were really looking forward to it. I guess we will have to wait to see if it will be possible to visit in the future. Thanks for the information update!
04-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome! I am thrilled to be the 300th member, and especially excited to be on the Southern team "Fighting for the Cause." I am also glad I read Laurie's post regarding the Garrett Farm's blocked access- my family and I were planning to visit the sight this spring. Guess we'll have to wait and see if they will allow visitors in the future.