Coffee with a Conspirator
07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Coffee with a Conspirator
I realize that this is an absurd and ridiculous question, but out of the 10 conspirators which one would you most like to meet for coffee and a chat at Starbucks? You are able to ask this person two questions before they go back to the holodeck and return to the 19th century. Your choices are Atzerodt, Herold, Mary Surratt, John Surratt, Samuel Mudd, Lewis Powell, Ned Spangler, Michael O'Laughlin, Samuel Arnold and John Wilkes Booth.
I don't know why I sit around and think of these things.Exclamation

Craig
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012 05:59 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Coffee with a Conspirator
Guess who?!?

Mr. Powell of course....and it wouldn't be parched corn coffee, either!!Rolleyes I'd have to ask him whom he was really working for in the CSA ....and where was the remainder of his personal effects and where in the heck was his confession....

I know that's 3 questions, but even that many questions would be too few!! HA!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-31-2012, 06:13 PM
I would like to talk with John Surratt and ask him if his conscience ever bothered him the rest of his long life for his roll in the conspiracy.
07-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Craig: I'm assuming they are all up to date in knowledge. With that assumption in place, my coffee chat (black coffee, please) would be with Booth. My question would simply be: Mr. Booth, knowing what you know now-how you've largely been viewed by history-and knowing the course of history of the United States since 1865, do you have any regrets?"

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2012, 09:40 PM
I would buy Mary a coffee and ask her if, knowing that she would hang for her role and her son would survive and live a full life, she would turn states evidence Instead and save her own neck (as well as her daughter's sanity)?

Kate Clifford Larson
07-31-2012, 10:12 PM
The reporter in me would want to talk to Booth, but the problem then is I would likely get a 20 minute harangue on the two questions, so I think I would probably want to talk with Mary Surratt. Not really sure what I'd ask her though, as others have come up with really good questions.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
08-01-2012, 12:20 AM
It really is difficult narrowing down an unending list of questions down to two. In addition, there's so much to be learned from so many of the conspirators. I'd love to learn about Michael O'Laughlen's short life from his lips, for example.

If forced to choose though, I would meet with John Wilkes Booth. I would ask him, "What possible changes in your life do you think would have convinced you to abort the assassination?" and "What were your honest expectations of how your act would be perceived?"
08-01-2012, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2012 06:36 AM by RJNorton.)
I would want to talk to George Atzerodt. I would want to know what was in his mind during his "window of opportunity." Although the "traditional" account places that final meeting at the Herndon House at 8:00 P.M., Betty gives what to me is a very logical reason it could have occurred earlier. (Powell had checked out during the afternoon, and I believe Martha Murray never saw him again.)

So George actually may have had many hours to be a hero. Perhaps he never considered going to the authorities, but I would like to know exactly what was in his mind during the time he learned of Booth's plans for Lincoln and Seward and when the attacks actually happened. If we take George at his word, he didn't want anything to do with killing (only kidnappng), then did it even cross his mind that he had the power to alter history?
08-01-2012, 06:45 AM
I would have asked JWB what was the point? The Confederacy was on life support.Slavery was dead.
Tom
08-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi Craig,
This was not an absurd question at all. If you look at the questions the board members would ask, it looks like a recap of the questions we have always been seeking the answerable to. I would ask JWB about Canada and any involvement with the Confederate government.
08-01-2012, 08:00 AM
I would ask John Surratt,Why did you let your Mother hang?Who else was in on the Plot?Did you think JWB was an ego-maniac?Lastly where is the Confederate Gold?
08-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Roger, ole' George was my other choice-and for the same reason you stated. He could have made all the difference!

Bill Nash
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM
I would want to talk to Booth to find out where he was getting his major support from -- Judah Benjamin or George Sanders and the Canadian Cabinet. I would also ask if Bill Richter and I are correct in assuming that his assassination actions were not FOR the dying Confederacy, but rather AGAINST the perceived (and Bill will clobber me for inserting that word) unconstitutional actions of Mr. Lincoln for four years.
08-01-2012, 10:13 AM
In a toss up between Booth and Mudd, I'm sure I would have to choose Booth, though I really have no idea what I would ask. It would probably go something like this…."Thanks for agreeing to talk to me John. Now this first question is a ten-parter…" Wink

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
08-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Mine would be for any of them. . . (but no coffee, please). . . who else was in on the planning? I'd LOVE to put to rest (or confirm) the pointing fingers at Lincoln's own cabinet.