The Last Official Theatrical Booth Appearance
02-20-2014, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 12:53 PM by LincolnMan.)
The Last Official Theatrical Booth Appearance
The book Lust for Fame: The Stage Career of John Wilkes Booth by Gordon Samples says this:

"On March 18, 1865, Ford's rich drop curtain decorated with a landscape and bust of Shakespeare, rose for the last time on John Wilkes Booth. Washington on that Saturday night was alive with tourists, and as usual were directed by a yelling boy stationed at the corner of 10th and E Streets: "This way to Ford's! Tonight John Wilkes Booth! he cried, as he distributed the yard-long playbills and announcements."
The author goes on to cite one story that claims Lincoln attended that perfomance- in the same box he would later be mortally shot in by Booth. There are other sources, the author mentions, that dispute that it was the same box. No wonder we love this stuff! So full of drama- so full of twists, contradictions, and amazing coincidences. There is Booth performing what was his last stage performance- and Lincoln (if he was there) viewing (and admiring?) the man who will kill him in less than a month from that date- in the very same theater! Hollywood could not produce a more interesting story.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: The Last Official Theatrical Booth Appearance
That's what we have been trying to convince Hollywood for forty years now, Bill! To my mind (and I would think this even if I never worked at Surratt House), the Lincoln assassination - from political background to the Lincoln funeral to the springing of the gallows - is an American epic that is fascinating when told with just the facts, ma'am, just the facts! So far, Erik Jendresen and National Geographic have come the closest with just a small portion of the whole story.
Find all posts by this user
02-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Let's not forget the attempt to steal Lincoln's body. Possibly a Trilogy

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
02-20-2014, 05:46 PM
You are right! Let's add that in.

Kevin Bacon was reportedly working on a Booth family history several years back. I wonder if he still is? Also, I think Manhunt is still under option - 2015 has to be the year to release that, if it is going to be done.
02-20-2014, 06:47 PM
While in Springfield last October with my fellow Forum members, I got the chance to actually examine the back entrance of the Lincoln tomb. It was through that entrance that the thieves broke in in their attempt to steal the body. Kinda gave me goosebumps thinking about it- the night-time escapade to try and do such a thing- not even knowing they were already busted but didn't know it. Real cloak and dagger stuff.

Bill Nash
02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
You can't make up historical stories and you really don't have to. Most are fascinating (and sometimes crazy) enough without added embellishments. There is the usual creative license taken here and there to fill occasional plot holes. However, sometimes this is taken too far. For example, I'm enrolled in a screenwriting class and tonight we had a discussion about a fictionalized part in the movie JFK that, according to some, changed some of the movie's factual parts.
02-22-2014, 03:05 AM
(02-20-2014 11:08 PM)KateH. Wrote:  You can't make up historical stories and you really don't have to. Most are fascinating (and sometimes crazy) enough without added embellishments. There is the usual creative license taken here and there to fill occasional plot holes. However, sometimes this is taken too far. For example, I'm enrolled in a screenwriting class and tonight we had a discussion about a fictionalized part in the movie JFK that, according to some, changed some of the movie's factual parts.

I didn't realize that Oliver Stone's JFK had any factual parts at all... other than the fact that Kennedy died. Smile

"All the armies of Europe and Asia could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River... in the trial of a thousand years. No, if destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide."
02-22-2014, 08:23 AM
I think I read that the name of the play Booth played in that night was The Apostate. Not being familiar with that particular play- is there some weird connection with that play and the Lincoln assassination? What is the play about?

Bill Nash
02-22-2014, 06:29 PM
According to "Lust for Fame," Booth played Pescara (the villain) in the Apostate at Ford's Theatre. His father had also preformed the role before. Booth did not appear for a curtain call. "Killing Lincoln" poses a theory that Booth didn't appear because he had made up his mind to kill Lincoln and was wrapped in this thought. There is one account, made by Mary Clay, that says Lincoln attended one of Booth's plays in 1865. Booth played the villain but she did not remember the title. However, according to "Lust for Fame," Booth only appeared in one other play in 1865. It was Romeo and Juliet at Grover's Theatre. Mary Clay recalls the events that unfolded. "Twice Booth in uttering threats to the play came very near and put his finger close to Mr. Lincoln's face; when he came a third time, I was impressed by it, and said, 'Mr. Lincoln, he looks as if he meant it for you.' 'Well,' he said, 'he does look pretty sharp at me, doesn't he?'"
02-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Kate: so according to the Clay account. The play must have been the one at Ford's- correct?

Bill Nash
02-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Yes. They would have gone to Ford's.
02-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Kate and Bill, I posted the Mary Clay account here. From what I can tell most experts do not feel her account is credible. Tom Bogar and I discussed this at lunch in January, and Tom is among those experts who don't find her account believable.
02-22-2014, 07:18 PM
I believe the other play Booth appeared in in 1865 was "Romeo & Juliet". He played Romeo in a benefit performance for his friend. (Appolonia Jones?) That was at Grover's.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
02-23-2014, 09:55 AM
(02-22-2014 07:18 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  I believe the other play Booth appeared in in 1865 was "Romeo & Juliet". He played Romeo in a benefit performance for his friend. (Appolonia Jones?) That was at Grover's.

According to Lust for Fame, Booth played there in January 1865 as Romeo.

Bill Nash
02-23-2014, 11:35 AM
(02-23-2014 09:55 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  
(02-22-2014 07:18 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  I believe the other play Booth appeared in in 1865 was "Romeo & Juliet". He played Romeo in a benefit performance for his friend. (Appolonia Jones?) That was at Grover's.

According to Lust for Fame, Booth played there in January 1865 as Romeo.

You can see the ad for the Romeo performance in the January 20, 1865, Evening Star.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/s...d-1/seq-1/