Unique History Assignment
01-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Unique History Assignment
I received a phone call today from a World History student in Florida. Her class assignment is to discuss any historical figure by creating a job resume for that person. She has chosen John Wilkes Booth.

The old teacher in me thought that was a unique way to get students interested in history in a modern way that is familiar to them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2014, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 09:16 PM by brtmchl.)
RE: Unique History Assignment
That does sound fun. And you are right Laurie, this is a great way to student you have to identify with a person. I brt they will learn a lot with this type of assignment.
Want ads can list: Wanted. Gun for hire. I can see Booth's resume getting picked up by the CIA.

Pros: Because of his theater experience he can list, master of disguise, able to comfortably fit in with large groups, successfully assassinated a sitting president, developed assets and comfortably assimilated with the indiginous people of a new foreign government, successfully enlisted the help of the locals to implement his plan and Evaded capture from a large hostile enemy force for 12 days without an extraction team.

Cons:Commited treason, KIA.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
01-14-2014, 10:18 PM
I love the resume you created! I'll pass it along to her after her assignment is done. In the meantime, I'll give you an A for well-thought-out creativity.

One of her first questions was what address she should use for him. She was going to list him at 541 H Street until I told her that there is no proof that he ever spent one night under the Surratt roof. I sent her looking for the name of the hotel that he used when in D.C.
01-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Give JWB's address as Fords Theater
01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
You are right in that the theatre was where he had his mail sent.
01-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi Laurie
You might suggest to the student Booth’s international financial experience – dealing with Confederate finances and foreign bank accounts in Montreal.
And maybe oil baron? You know how people tend to exaggerate on their resume.
Kieran
01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks, y'all. Wish I were back in school so you could help me.
01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Languages spoken (other than English): Shakespearean English, cipher code, able to perform using various dialects.

Special skills: Trained horseman, gun marksman, stage fighter, trained in single rapier and unarmed combat, master of disguise, ability to whistle, plays the flute.

Lacks: Direction and navigation skills.
01-15-2014, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 01:23 PM by brtmchl.)
I think by the end of this thread a full resume can be created. Am I too nerdy by thinking this is fun? Just asking. My wife called me a nerd.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
01-15-2014, 01:54 PM
I'd add:
-proactively recruted and managed team, with accountability for creating job descriptions, conducting employee meetings, and diplomatically implementing disciplinary actions (Burroughs).
- well-groomed, cultivated appearance and poise, radiant complexion
01-15-2014, 03:50 PM
I am absolutely amazed at the creativity of this group! I am so torn about sending these to the student. If I do, y'all have supplied her with her materials; if I wait until after she has completed the assignment, she will hate me for not sharing. What should this nerd do?

BTW: Surratt House is under a gov't division of the Department of Parks and Recreation entitled Natural and Historical Resources Division. In the usual government alphabet soup, it is shortened to NHRD -- so we call ourselves the NHRDs (Nerds). We also have a quarterly newsletter that is called the NHRD Word. Historians can have fun too.
01-15-2014, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 05:50 PM by Gene C.)
Toon her in to Roger's Abraham Linocln site & this discussion site on the web. Let her see all the enthusiasm and interest she has stirred up.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
I already did - mainly as source material for her assignment. Also recommended American Brutus.
01-15-2014, 07:33 PM
This sort of reminds me of a resume joke that Mike Kauffman used to tell on the Surratt bus tours over the escape route. He felt sorry for Sam Arnold after he was released from prison. If he looked for a job, the only two things he could put down on his resume as Previous Experience would be "accused assassin" and "butcher," since he had worked in the latter field.

Check out an assassination-related cartoon from the 1970s that Dave Taylor has just posted on BoothieBarn.com today. We had that hanging on a bulletin board in a private area at Surratt House for so many years that it turned yellow with age.
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Love this assignment. I'd add,

Able to leap from high balconies in a single bound.

Popular with women.